What do you wish most for the next major release after 0.30?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Poll ended at Sun Mar 19, 2006 3:31 am

More networking
7%
Driver compatiblity
49%
Application compatiblity
7%
Stability
11%
Speed
9%
Security
2%
Environment
No votes
Multimedia
4%
Eyecandy
2%
Just solve the major bugs
9%

Total votes: 55

ThePhysicist
Developer

Post by ThePhysicist »

Now that it seems that 0.3.0 is not too far away I am curious what 0.4.0 or the next major release will bring us.

First to all the devs: Ok, I know the roadmap is already there for a 0.4.0 release and most devs will perhaps have their own view or interests, but I think most of the points don't seem to be really breakthrughs and now that 0.3.0 is already finished there might be some other things that come to mind when thinking of what should be done next.
And it is just something I would like to know from the ROS users / fans.

This is the 0.4.0 roadmap from the Wiki:
Show Stoppers

* Plug and Play Manager
o Full USB Keyboard and Mouse support
* Local Security Authority Server
* More networking client and server applications
o DHCP Server
o SMB Filesystem Client
o NFS Server/Client
o Telnet Server
* Continuous Integration System (Keep people from breaking the tree)
* Regression Testing (Merge with Winehq Regression System)

Critical

* Build ReactOS with Microsoft Visual C compiler and Platform SDK.
* Fix Header system. Depends on MS_VC+PSDK Port.
* All ReactOS Drivers must work on Windows
* Run Driver Verifier on all ReactOS Drivers
* Working basic power control (Shutdown and restart)

Enhancement

* CXTest Graphical Regression testing system merged in to CI system
* Import the ext2fsd driver in to ReactOS
* Allow ext2 to be used during install
But i think there are some things that might be more important than for example a telnet server, wich is fine, but wich I can really live without ;-)

So here's a list of things that still need to be done (this does not includes things like CIS and building with MSVC and this kind of stuff, wich is in fact important, but I will only list ROS functionality stuff):

1.) More networking
- "complete and stable network API"
- DHCP Server
- SMB Filesystem Client
- NFS Server/Client
- Telnet Server
- PPPoE

2.) Driver compatiblity
- complete PnP manager
- better 3rd party driver support
- support for major graphics cards (Radeon, GeForce,...) incl. installer
- inf parser
- (3rd party driver download manager)
- (some 3rd party drivers included in binary releases)

3.) Application compatiblity
- complete as much API functions as possible
- make many more applications work
- compatiblity for most installers
- Make things work at all before make everything work as it is supposed to

4.) Stability
- make some major apps (Firefox, Thunderbird, OpenOffice) work really stable
- Make the kernel and drivers very stable, so they won't crash if an application does something unsupported
- Enhance the filesystemdriver, so it surely won't mess up the drive when ROS crashes
- A good taskmanager to close apps that don't work and wont stop

5.) Speed
- Enhance the gui speed (rewrite the window management code or something like that? w3seek said something about it some time ago)
- give the mouse cursor more cpu priority and optimize the mouse cursor functions
- optimize some performance critical functions
- speed up the filesystem driver (it seems pretty slow)
- maybe support for some major graphics card drivers (at least 2d hardware acceleration)

6.) Security
- a new fs driver wich supports rights management
- multiuser login system

7.) Environment
- complete the CPLs
- fix some Explorer bugs
- clipboard support
- a taskmanager
- copy, delete, move and shell functions in file explorer
- include some basic apps (notepad, paint, charmap, screenkeyboard, audiorec, media player, task sceduler)
- complete the support for diffenrent languages (localized setup, more translations, unicode letters, etc.)

8. Multimedia
- support for some major graphics card drivers
- better direct x support (d3d, dplay, etc)
- opengl support
- sound support
- include some multimedia apps (soundrec, mediaplayer)

9. Eyecandy
- make the gui fast and good looking
- gui theming support
- some screensavers (I found some great OGL screensavers, wich might work with OGL support)
- tft optimized fonts

10.) Just solve the major bugs
- Make explorer work as it is supposed to do (shutdown, close startmenu,...)
- solve the gui display bugs
- solve the bugs on the already working major apps
- solve some generic bugs to make more apps work

Ok, that's all. There might be some things missing, if somebody is missing something, please tell me. In fact i think that some things from different topics are important, but as it is impossible to make a poll with more than one choice, just choose the one you would think is the most important for you (or if this one is already chosen very often, choose the second one, so it will also be recognized).

I will vote on stability, as it makes working / testing much easier when you don't always have to restart ROS, when something does not work and you will not have to reinstall ROS when something goes wrong with the filesystem. 2nd would be speed, because it does not make much "fun" to work with ROS when it is slow as hell ;-) But driver compatiblity, application compatiblity and bugs are also important, I think. I don't need much environment stuff, although it would be nice to have some more and better configuration possibilities, a good filemanager and clipboard support, but more applications are something for a distro. I think some networking capabilities such as SMB would be nice, to access local networks shares on a QEMU emulation or in the local network; and to allow most network apps work (especially interesting for a "internet cafe distribution") seems to be important, but I can live without it, I would prefer a good, stable and fast local work) And I can live without Eyecandy at all.

So after a long post, it's your turn to vote for something or don't care at all...
Matthias

Post by Matthias »

I believe it's important to get more people to test ReactOS on real hardware. To achieve this, the installer should be made safe, so that it doesn't screw up existing data. Also, ReactOS should be able to load windows' NTFS driver, so people can read files from their HDDs, for example to install (and then test and report bugs) software on ReactOS.
geertvdijk

Post by geertvdijk »

i think that indeed it should be coded at such a way that the reactOS installer checks for a Windows 2000 or XP installation, and then it loads the NTFS driver of it... Ofcourse to check that and copy the driver of 2000 or XP, it would need a stable read-only NTFS driver...
-graey-
Sirmatto

Post by Sirmatto »

geertvdijk wrote:i think that indeed it should be coded at such a way that the reactOS installer checks for a Windows 2000 or XP installation, and then it loads the NTFS driver of it... Ofcourse to check that and copy the driver of 2000 or XP, it would need a stable read-only NTFS driver...
Well, you have the Linux NTFS driver that, as far as I know, is pretty much perfect in read only mode. Granted, it's also very far in the writing stage, so it's probably pretty close to the point where that may as well be implemented instead of using the XP driver.
Illusionist

Post by Illusionist »

I like the way you define stability so my vote goes to that direction.

BTW, I agree with Mathias on improving FreeLoader. I tried installing ROS on my hd before, but FL just hangs after boot.
Pharaoh_Atem

Post by Pharaoh_Atem »

I agree with all of it, but I really have to say that driver support is extremely important... That way we can test ReactOS at a much higher level, currently, the ReactOS installer has a crude form of the Add Hardware Wizard, which is only for VMware, and will check and install the VMware driver from the VMware Additions ISO. It is possible to write an opensource VMware SVGA driver, Fedora has one...
MadRat

Post by MadRat »

NT 4.0 driver support would be good enough for alot of people, especially if it was the video driver layer.
Go Huskers!
Pharaoh_Atem

Post by Pharaoh_Atem »

Quite true, since NT4 drivers are quite basic compared to newer versions of the NTDDM. Also, there are still a lot of drivers available.... Perhaps for the POSIX subsystem, we can use Cygwin code, since it is GPL'd...
mokrates

Post by mokrates »

I think that networking is most important. Think about Linux, and how everybody used it for networking, when it was just two years old.

You need Networking, and the BE has to run _stable_ on the System, so you can have a community which can develop ROS while using ROS.

I think the most effective way to have people developing, is to have them use the system, get annoyed, and try to fix it. But if it is unusable to a stage, where you can't fix it (the BE doesn't run), or you can't get in touch with fellow developers (the Networking doesn't work), you don't use it, and thus, you don't get annoyed, and thus you don't fix anything, and thus ROS loses devs.

- Networking (And Apps: Firefox, Miranda (!))
- BE (And IDEs (Eclipse :twisted:, lcc perhaps?))

If that works, the rest will follow like magic!

MoKrates
Pharaoh_Atem

Post by Pharaoh_Atem »

mokrates is actually correct.... Linux spurred because of the possibility to be a good replacement for expensive commercial server software...
cmoibenlepro

Post by cmoibenlepro »

Once reactos will become more stable with more functions, it will be more popular... so third party applications will follow... 8)

But it should not be a priority for the moment.
Imod

Post by Imod »

I will vote on multimedia. However stability is priority.
Pharaoh_Atem

Post by Pharaoh_Atem »

cmoibenlepro wrote:Once reactos will become more stable with more functions, it will be more popular... so third party applications will follow... 8)

But it should not be a priority for the moment.
Stability is important, but one of the reasons many programs still do not work in ReactOS is that the WINE components have not been updated for a while now...
cmoibenlepro

Post by cmoibenlepro »

well, some important part of reactos don't use wine, like directx, etc
so it's independant from wine development.
Pharaoh_Atem

Post by Pharaoh_Atem »

Nonetheless, Apache Server 1.3.34 works fine on WINE 0.9.9 with MySQL 4, PHP4, and the FileZilla Server...
I hope to figure out how to synchonize the Wine binaries and ReactOS binaries so that I can create an experimental server package for VMware... I do a lot of Web Development, and my Windows NT 4.0 workstation disc disappeared, which was why I discovered this OS... When ReactOS is complete enough, I can replace my horrible NT 4.0 workstation system with ReactOS... It would be cool if ReactOS can crossgrade from Win3.x, NT 3.x, and NT 4.0.