Porting ReactOS to different Hardware...

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Would you like to run ReactOS on another platform then i386, and in that case what platform?

Power Mac (RISC)
11%
Motorola 68k familly (Mac, Amiga, Atari ST)
4%
Comqaq DEC Alpha
1%
PocketPC/ WindowsCE hardware
11%
Other 32bit
6%
Other 16bit
No votes
Other 8bit
No votes
Intel 64bit
6%
AMD 64bit
56%
Transmeta Native
4%

Total votes: 71

frik85
Developer

Re: BMW versus Saab

Post by frik85 »

daniele_dll wrote:no...this isin't a "console" mode :)
for console i want to say...without any graphical driver loaded ^^
under text mode
It's no joke!
The text mode should be the same as the install text mode -> Bluescreen background with white text
daniele_dll

Post by daniele_dll »

ehm, yes...but using this you need to start all video related things...so a console mode...done using a text like mode is well if you need to set up old machines to do routers or something like
frik85
Developer

Post by frik85 »

daniele_dll wrote:ehm, yes...but using this you need to start all video related things...so a console mode...done using a text like mode is well if you need to set up old machines to do routers or something like
ReactOS implement this feature the same way like WinNT. I know Unix/Linux/*BSD have such a "real" text mode.
daniele_dll

Post by daniele_dll »

frik85 wrote:
daniele_dll wrote:ehm, yes...but using this you need to start all video related things...so a console mode...done using a text like mode is well if you need to set up old machines to do routers or something like
ReactOS implement this feature the same way like WinNT. I know Unix/Linux/*BSD have such a "real" text mode.
exactly for this reason i've said...
for this reason, i think, that reactos do not aim to run on routers but to do other things...like servers...and desktop machine
reactos aim to work and to be like winnt...and winnt didn't aimed to be used as a router or a firewall...can be used to do this...but it didn't aimed to this :\
frik85
Developer

Post by frik85 »

daniele_dll wrote:reactos aim to work and to be like winnt...and winnt didn't aimed to be used as a router or a firewall...can be used to do this...but it didn't aimed to this :\
But WinNT is closed source. If you someone need a real text mode he will be able to add this feature. :wink:
daniele_dll

Post by daniele_dll »

frik85 wrote:
daniele_dll wrote:reactos aim to work and to be like winnt...and winnt didn't aimed to be used as a router or a firewall...can be used to do this...but it didn't aimed to this :\
But WinNT is closed source. If you someone need a real text mode he will be able to add this feature. :wink:
in fact ^^
Jaix
Moderator Team

Re:Re:BMW versus Saab

Post by Jaix »

daniel_dll wrote:
reactos can be used to do routers but old you will can't use a 486 with reactos setted up because 486 will die before it start, so...reactos can be used to do routers but you need to set up more powerful machine and you need to use advanced software that isin't incorporated into windows and, i think, that these softwares will not be added to reactos

so you need to set up reactos, a gateway software and a firewall software...and these software are painful for slower machines...

for this reason, i think, that reactos do not aim to run on routers but to do other things...like servers...and desktop machine

but i repeat it another time...you can use it for a router...but you will need more powerful machine. This problem, will resolve itself if reactos will support a "only console mode", using this and line command apps, you can use old machines as routers...and you will don't need to buy a more powerful machine
I now run Win2000 Server with full GUI Router, Firewall, SIP-Gateway, File-Server, Printer-Server, Web-Server, FTP-Server, Terminal-Server, DHCP-Server,DNS-Server, WINS-Server, Open Office, VNC-Server and much much more on a Cyrrix(Pentium I compatible) 150MHz so, if I get rid of the GUI, I'm sure ReactOS will be able to run on a 486 with no problem.
And more, I think Reactos will be smaller faster and better then Win2000 Server in time. So I think it will run the same software faster then Win2k.
And more yet, one idea about porting to other platforms was to choos only the interesting software and compile it to a special hardware perhaps with no screen, no ports except net, only Ultra-VNC graphics driver, this will consume a minimum amount of resources from the hardware making it possible to run these servicies on a modest CPU.

I dream of enabling ReactOS to a varity of modest home electronics too, not only computers, why not the DVD-player and so on.
uniQ

Post by uniQ »

Can't you just strip out all the input/output stuff, the video stuff, everything but the kernel and networking (And whatever else those depend on), and all the UI/shell stuff, and add a minimalistic websvr that can serve configuration pages and such (And if need be, accept and run an uploaded file (System update)), slap it on a memory stick or embedded chip of some sort, stick it in a little box with some Ethernet ports on it and use it as a router?

-uniQ

PS. Gross oversimplification I know, but that's what I was thinking of.
Coming on, coming up, let me help ROS and I'll be able to look @ a life well used.
solemnwarning

Post by solemnwarning »

I Guess ReactOS As A Router Aint Such A Good Idea Afterall, Anyway Im Trying To Get Gentoo Running On The Router (Gentoo = Most Complicated Linux Distro On Earth) Im Having Difficulty And I Havnt Evem Compiled It Yet :S
Jaix
Moderator Team

Post by Jaix »

uniQ wrote:Can't you just strip out all the input/output stuff, the video stuff, everything but the kernel and networking (And whatever else those depend on), and all the UI/shell stuff, and add a minimalistic websvr that can serve configuration pages and such (And if need be, accept and run an uploaded file (System update)), slap it on a memory stick or embedded chip of some sort, stick it in a little box with some Ethernet ports on it and use it as a router?

-uniQ

PS. Gross oversimplification I know, but that's what I was thinking of.
I don't think this isn't realistic, there just have to be some modifications to the software that is to be executed, strip the server software from accessing the windows GUI like Window Command prompt software and then strip ReactOS from having this kind of support and then compile it for the platform of choose - et viola, embedded ReactOS.

Why should it be more difficult to get ReactOS embedded then Windows?
Look here to see what is possible to acheeve with Windows. Lite PC - XP Lite or 98 Lite
solemnwarning wrote:I Guess ReactOS As A Router Aint Such A Good Idea Afterall, Anyway Im Trying To Get Gentoo Running On The Router (Gentoo = Most Complicated Linux Distro On Earth) Im Having Difficulty And I Havnt Evem Compiled It Yet :S
No, not yet, but Windows will do! Or why not use any Linux distro that is customized for it (like fresco)?
Harteex

Post by Harteex »

Jaix wrote:No, not yet, but Windows will do! Or why not use any Linux distro that is customized for it (like fresco)?
Yep I agree, FREESCO is great, I've installed it myself on an old computer to do routing for me.
Link: http://www.freesco.org
Elledan

Post by Elledan »

Harteex wrote:
Jaix wrote:No, not yet, but Windows will do! Or why not use any Linux distro that is customized for it (like fresco)?
Yep I agree, FREESCO is great, I've installed it myself on an old computer to do routing for me.
Link: http://www.freesco.org
Coyote Linux beats FreeSCO by a big margin :)
solemnwarning

Post by solemnwarning »

I Do Have A Router Already Running Smoothwall Linux, I Want To Run A Decent Distro But Most Crash On Install:

PII MMX
64Meg DIMM Ram
1.9Gig HDD
16X CDROM

I Might Get A Better Box From The Dump So I Can Run Fedora As A Router, Maybe
Baldomero

Post by Baldomero »

solemnwarning wrote:I Do Have A Router Already Running Smoothwall Linux, I Want To Run A Decent Distro But Most Crash On Install:

PII MMX
64Meg DIMM Ram
1.9Gig HDD
16X CDROM

I Might Get A Better Box From The Dump So I Can Run Fedora As A Router, Maybe
Try IpCop. I've got it running. very good software. Also, read the forums, if you decide for it on ipcops.net
Jaix
Moderator Team

How I would like to have a working Xbox port.

Post by Jaix »

I am moving, and am now living in boxes. All my computers are nicely packed away. Now I follow the forum by my phone, very small screen, no keyboard. God I long for a working xbox port.