Deep Freeze or similiar solution

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

assantion

Deep Freeze or similiar solution

Post by assantion »

Hello everyone , and thanks for big efforts on ReactOS.

I have a question, there is any solution like Deep Freeze or alike tool working softly and nonproblematic on ReactOS no need to be advanced app? Thank you.
Julcar

Re: Deep Freeze or similiar solution

Post by Julcar »

If Running ReactOS on a virtual machine, just save a snapshot and restore it everytime you mess the OS.
assantion

Post by assantion »

Thanks julcar , but i was thinking use reactos on real pc not virtual machine etc.. Thats why i need deep freeze or alike tool/software for roll-back.

Daily snapshot tools can be ok for me i think , but this is 2. option. Thanks everyone im still waiting little bit help :)
MadWolf

Post by MadWolf »

setup the install of ReactOS on the computer and use something like Clonezilla to create a backup image of the install drive and if you brake the install you can restore the backup image
oldman

Post by oldman »

assantion wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:48 pm Im still waiting little bit help
You could help yourself by searching for the apps that you want and then trying to run them in ReactOS.
Please keep the Windows classic 9x/2000 look and feel.
The layman's guides - debugging - bug reporting - compiling - ISO remaster.
They may help you with a problem, so do have a look at them.
assantion

Post by assantion »

MadWolf wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:17 am setup the install of ReactOS on the computer and use something like Clonezilla to create a backup image of the install drive and if you brake the install you can restore the backup image
Thanks alot MadWolf for nice idea , really helpful
assantion

Post by assantion »

oldman wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:56 am
assantion wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:48 pm Im still waiting little bit help
You could help yourself by searching for the apps that you want and then trying to run them in ReactOS.
Yah opening a topic on ' reactOS's official public forum' part of helping myself and reactos community. And ofc part of ''searching'' term too

And thanks to you too.
Last edited by assantion on Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oldman

Post by oldman »

I have done for you what I have suggested that you do. Most software is like Clonezilla (suggested by MadWolf), but I did find something that may be more of what you had in mind.
http://download.runtime.org/dixmlsetup.exe
The above software installs in ReactOS but fails to run with "can't find wow32.dll". All I have done, is to download it to see if it worked in ReactOS, but I have not read any documentary.

Edit:
https://www.runtime.org/driveimage-xml.htm
Last edited by oldman on Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Please keep the Windows classic 9x/2000 look and feel.
The layman's guides - debugging - bug reporting - compiling - ISO remaster.
They may help you with a problem, so do have a look at them.
assantion

Post by assantion »

oldman wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:15 pm I have done for you what I have suggested that you do. Most software is like Clonezilla (suggested by MadWolf), but I did find something that may be more of what you had in mind.
The above software installs in ReactOS but fails to run with "can't find wow32.dll". All I have done, is to download it to see if it worked in ReactOS, but I have not read any documentary.
oldman thanks really , sorry my late answer i lost my phone and all datas, android encrypted ones too. I was busy with that problem.

Again thanks for your helps and effort.
Kevin Castro

Post by Kevin Castro »

The above software installs in ReactOS but fails to run with "can't find wow32.dll".
Most of this thread is voodoo to me (I'm quite simple). What I can offer is that "wow32.dll" can be found in XP "C/WINDOWS/system32".
0.4.14: Gigabyte GA-F2A68HM-DS2, AMD A4 7300 (dual-core APU at 3.8GHz), various SSDs
—Option A: TP-Link TG-3269 PCI gigabit LAN card (XP Beta driver online)
—Option B: TP-Link TG-3468 PCI-E gigabit LAN card (XP driver off disc)
MadWolf

Post by MadWolf »

after copying wow32.dll from windows 7 to ReactOS System32 DriveImage XML starts and runs and crating a backup image works
Kevin Castro

Post by Kevin Castro »

Thanks, MadWolf. Imaging certainly sounds easier than doing re-installs. Can the image be saved into a flashdrive?
Incidentally, in 7-64 I could only find wow64.
0.4.14: Gigabyte GA-F2A68HM-DS2, AMD A4 7300 (dual-core APU at 3.8GHz), various SSDs
—Option A: TP-Link TG-3269 PCI gigabit LAN card (XP Beta driver online)
—Option B: TP-Link TG-3468 PCI-E gigabit LAN card (XP driver off disc)
MadWolf

Post by MadWolf »

on windows 7 home premium 64 bit & windows 8.1 pro 64 bit the file is located in C:\Windows\SysWOW64 I am going to post the results of the testing in the epic win but you are better using the WinBuilder Guide http://runtime.org/peb.htm and not installing it on ReactOS
learn_more
Developer

Post by learn_more »

MadWolf wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:02 pm after copying wow32.dll from windows 7 to ReactOS System32 DriveImage XML starts and runs and crating a backup image works
You could look into porting wow32 from wine to reactos.
(But you'd have to remove some of the indirections they do to krnl386.exe, and drop code directly in wow32.dll for now)
From looking at the binary, I only see WOWGetVDMPointer imported, but the dixml.exe is packed with aspack so there might be more functions used....