React os for daily use

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

alaval

React os for daily use

Post by alaval »

Would you suggest adopting React OS for casual daily use. ?
Requirements. word, pdf paint,web browser, vlc, C/C++, python,java, screenshot ,text editor, terminal, are the apps needed
I apologize for my stupid question ?
MadWolf

Re: React os for daily use

Post by MadWolf »

alaval wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:24 am Would you suggest adopting React OS for casual daily use? ?
Requirements. word, pdf paint, web browser, VLC, C/C++, python, java, screenshot, text editor, terminal, are the apps needed
I apologize for my stupid question?
simple answer NO

yes if the system is offline and you have a backup system so if the ReactOS crashes you do not loos data and the software you need runs on ReactOS but ReactOS in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes
KOOLLAYDTAC

Post by KOOLLAYDTAC »

For daily use I would personally wait until they pushed out a 64 bit version of the OS that could actually operate on most systems with out crashing utilizing the full range of your system specifications. In it's current form I'd only consider using this on older hardware designed for the times back in the days of Windows XP. I was actually revisiting this OS because I thought I read some where that a 64 bit version had been pushed out. Sadly this isn't the case. So I would personally wait until it is on the same level of Windows XP Pro. at least and can actually support the hardware and software in this current day and age mate.:)
karlexceed

Post by karlexceed »

KOOLLAYDTAC wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:37 pm I thought I read some where that a 64 bit version had been pushed out.
It's been brought to the point of being bootable, but only just. It isn't officially available to the public as an ISO yet, but you can build your own if you really want to test with it.
KOOLLAYDTAC

Post by KOOLLAYDTAC »

karlexceed wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:26 pm
KOOLLAYDTAC wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:37 pm I thought I read some where that a 64 bit version had been pushed out.
It's been brought to the point of being bootable, but only just. It isn't officially available to the public as an ISO yet, but you can build your own if you really want to test with it.
My skills aren't that advanced to build my own just yet mate. lol Thanks though. That let's me know they are at least closer then I thought. I currently have Ubuntu 18.04 LTS (Linux) and Windows 10 installed that was upgraded from Windows 7. My other drive that is offline atm I was thinking about putting Windows 7 back on, but I need to work out how to change the UUID on it so it doesn't conflict with the upgraded Windows 10 version. After I can do that I was debating on cutting off a partition and adding ReactOS on my actual hardware to the list of OS'es, but I was wondering how safe it would be to do that or if it would conflict with anything.

I know when I tried to run Windows XP on my rig I took it off because I had to keep swapping over to Legacy from RAID I think it's called in bios in order to run it. I don't know if I'd have that same issue with this OS or not. I'm also trying to work out exactly how much hard drive space I should allocate to testing it mainly to see if I can get older mmo games to run on it like Star Wars Galaxies or Lord Of The Rings Online. So depending on what I decide to try and test I am some where between thinking maybe 20 gigs to 50 gigs at most.

Also I am curious can the OS be updated without needing to do a clean install every time? How does that work exactly? Thanks in advance. :)
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Everyone can build a ReactOS ISO. We made things way too simple already here ^^ And as you can read above and in my signature, we don't recommend ROS on a productive system. If you dare to do it and it eats your cat/dog/rat/snake etcetc it's your own fault.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
oldman

Post by oldman »

KOOLLAYDTAC wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:40 am My skills aren't that advanced to build my own just yet mate.
Anyone can do it, unless they have a learning disability. Have a read of the Layman's guides.
KOOLLAYDTAC wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:40 am Also I am curious can the OS be updated without needing to do a clean install every time? How does that work exactly? Thanks in advance. :)
Yes it can be updated, but I do not know if it is 100% reliable; I have done it in the past, now I only do a fresh install.

Note:
The 64 bit version only just starts to boot; nothing gets installed.
You should only use a spare computer to test ReactOS with.
Please keep the Windows classic 9x/2000 look and feel.
The layman's guides - debugging - bug reporting - compiling - ISO remaster.
They may help you with a problem, so do have a look at them.
KOOLLAYDTAC

Post by KOOLLAYDTAC »

EmuandCo wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:40 am Everyone can build a ReactOS ISO. We made things way too simple already here ^^ And as you can read above and in my signature, we don't recommend ROS on a productive system. If you dare to do it and it eats your cat/dog/rat/snake etcetc it's your own fault.
Ya I'll more then likely try to mimic my specs in a VM. lol I don't have a spare rig to play around with at this time. lol Thanks mate. :)
oldman wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:43 am Anyone can do it, unless they have a learning disability. Have a read of the Layman's guides.
Thanks for that link mate. I thought it was a bit more complicated then that. My mind hasn't completely gone yet so I might give that a try then. lol :)

oldman wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:43 am Yes it can be updated, but I do not know if it is 100% reliable; I have done it in the past, now I only do a fresh install.

Note:
The 64 bit version only just starts to boot; nothing gets installed.
You should only use a spare computer to test ReactOS with.
Since I really don't have a spare rig to mess with at the moment I am thinking about reinstalling a VM and trying to mimic my the specs. on my rig and see if it would basically render the same results as it would if it were installed on the actual hardware itself with out actually risking messing anything up. That way if it does poo the bed at least it's in a controlled environment. lol I think I will test the 32 bit out first so when I do decide to compile the 64 bit I'll at least have a basis of comparison to work off of. Thanks for the help mate. I appreciate the advice everyone. :)