Viruses?

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

dizt3mp3r

Re: Viruses?

Post by dizt3mp3r »

R wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 6:13 am I was quite excited when I learned about ReactOS but my enthusiasm is lessening by the minute.
I wouldn't worry yourself about it. Go and install an other o/s. There are plenty of choices.

TempleOS might be a good one for you. Go for it! Check it first for viruses.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
feldrim

Post by feldrim »

Although the omnipotent expertise of the OP, he made a point unknowingly. Is open source more secure because one can have a look at it and find it? Well, 20 years of unsolved bugs in BSD variations, the Heartbleed running wild for years... These have shown that no one reads open source code. This "no one" includes the OP.

This is a general issue about FOSS, but this is just an example of the it, a minor one.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

- but you CAN.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

True and that possibility makes it at least more trustworthy than some other closed stuff. If someone still thinks he has to claim evil behavior then he has two ways to survive... Install TempleOS or throw the tinfoil hat away before it is too late for his sanity. Regarding usability of modern hardware I strongly recommend #2 ^^
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
feldrim

Post by feldrim »

Well, my point was "people being able to read does not mean people do read". So, although they can, most of the people just do not read because they don't understand either the language or architecture and little bits like workarounds. So, just because they can read it does not make it inherently secure. This is all about FOSS, not "ReactOS has virus" thing. The OP is just a mere reminder of the fact.

Closed source applications do not give the ability to read the code to check but that does not mean they are malicious or less secure than open source alternatives too. Lack of proof does not proves the opposite, in this case.

The Open Source expert here created a heat wave here with many wrong assumptions and prejudice of own, but it may be possible to see the good side: people do not read code.

P.S.: I'm not a native English speaker, so excuse me if I spilled some ambiguous sentences above.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

TempleOS is virtuous by its very nature. It cannot contain viruses unless created by Terry's own hand and Terry was building a work of God so he wouldn't have done that.

Has anyone run VirusTotal against TempleOS? Anything found sure to be a false positive. A good test of VirusTotal.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

shunesburg

Post by shunesburg »

I think you frightened him, he doesn't answer any more.
The guy just ask if there are viruses, and you are limited insulting him (saying he's not an expert...).

To "R" : Welcome to the ReactOS Forum, sorry for the zealous guys.
For your question, it's a certainty, there is no virus only false positives (because of the Windows Libraries are not the officials, only reimplemented one).
Thank you for your interest in ReactOS.
(PS: Sorry for my English, I'm not a native)
middings

Post by middings »

The OP could have found that answer himself. Why didn't he?

(1) Didn't try.
(2) The ReactOS web site's home page lacks a "Help" or "FAQ, Frequently Asked Questions" link.
(3) The ReactOS web site has a FAQ in the ReactOS Wiki but the OP couldn't find it.
(3A) The OP doesn't know what a wiki is and didn't expect a FAQ to be there.
(3B) The OP knew what a wiki is, knows that a FAQ is often in a wiki,
saw the link marked "Wiki" under the heading "Developers",
but the OP didn't consider the issue to be development related.
(3C) The OP knew what a wiki is, knows that a FAQ is often in a wiki,
saw the the link marked "Wiki" under the heading "Developers",
and concluded that that wiki is only for use by active ReactOS developers.
(4) The OP clicked the link to the ReactOS Wiki located on the ReactOS web site's home page,
saw the big "Google Summer of Code" banner near the top of the page,
then concluded that everything on the page was for Google Summer of Code participants only.
(5) The OP clicked the link to the ReactOS Wiki located on the ReactOS web site's home page,
then the OP was confused by the abundance of links on the page.
(There are two links marked "FAQ" in fine print located under two different headings
on the wiki's landing page. The categories each link marked "FAQ" is under could have led
the OP to conclude that neither link points to a FAQ that answers the OP's issue.
NOTE: Both links marked "FAQ" point to the same FAQ page.)
Carl Friedrich Gauss wrote:Mathematicians stand on each other’s shoulders.
Richard Hamming wrote:Mathematicians stand on each other’s shoulders while computer scientists stand on each other’s toes.
Dennis Allison, co-founder of Dr. Dobb's Journal of Computer Calisthenics and Orthodontia wrote:Let us stand on each other’s shoulders, not each other’s toes. (Dr. Dobb's Journal, Issue 1, January, 1976)