Developers! Keep going!!!

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

jatos

Post by jatos »

Stead wrote: anyway my point is, people still use dos, windows 3.11... even BeOS and manage to carry on, i hear some people even use linux....
/me glares at Stead
unkemptwolf

Post by unkemptwolf »

14%... not bad, not to bad at all actually. Even better than that, people can see that progress is being made. Common sense things like this, keeping your adoring fans (myself included) in the loop, is what will ultimately cause this project to succeed. You guys rock, keep up the good work, and know that we are all cheering for you, and will stick with you as long as it takes.

Long live ReactOS!
cmoibenlepro

Post by cmoibenlepro »

14% is only for the audit process...
ThePhysicist
Developer

Post by ThePhysicist »

cmoibenlepro wrote:14% is only for the audit process...
You can see it pessimistic or optimistic.

Pessimistic: "That's only the audit. And after the audit a lot of functions may be missing and it may take again as long to rewrite the missing code or even longer. And most of the devs will concentrate on the audit so don't exspect much improvements to the other code. 0.3 seems far away."

Optimistic: "Ok, it's the state of the audit, but while the audit is in progress there are still devs and other people improving the code, that has been audited. Wine development will go on. Translation to a lot of languages will go on and when the audit is complete, a good part of the code will already be replaced by better, faster and more compatible code, because the dev already know about a lot of existing problems and might know how to solve some of them. So when the audit is complete, we might be very near to a 0.3 wich might be even better that planned in some parts."

I prefer the optimistic way of looking at it!
frik85
Developer

Post by frik85 »

ThePhysicist wrote:That's only the audit. And after the audit a lot of functions may be missing and it may take again as long to rewrite the missing code or even longer.
Not true. The progressbar show the percent of the following calc, dir numbers of the old svn and dirs numbers of the new svn.

So the bar will show 100% when everything is audited and parts rewritten.
unkemptwolf

Post by unkemptwolf »

Not to be crude, but it really doesn't even matter to me if the 14% is how much of the source has been downloaded to the devs computers, in preperation of being audited. The only thing that really concerns me, is that work continues to be done. Keep on rocking ReactOS.
Mike_PSP

Post by Mike_PSP »

Dont let the auddit slow thing down, why should develpment stop, just becouse we are watching our backs
Mike_PSP

Post by Mike_PSP »

15%

only 85 more days to go :?:
menn

i'm still watching

Post by menn »

since i'm not a c coder, i don't feel like there is much of anything i can offer ros at this point in time, but i'm still trying as much as i was before-

i'm still watching the project, and correcting and/or flaming people (outside this forum) that note to me that ros has "stopped indefinately" which is an extremely goofy way to put it, at best.

i'm also technically still maintaining rosmon, which is a one-page monitor of all the stuff on ros i can squeeze in (and still have it be readable) - which is 75% repackaged and reoganized data from friedl's site (that is, links to what free/foss software has been tested "successfully".) and whatever else is just this and that.

rosmon provides my own subjective take on where ros is, and that really is subjective, because some people want usb drives (me too!) and other people want to use it for ______, whatever that is, so no one can really ask "when will ros be 'ready' to use?"

but i try to make it useful, so i have a place i can point people to and say "THIS is exactly where ros is."

i've moved it to a host that abuses my visitors less, but mostly i really like the new message at the top, this is part of it:

"the ros project is revamping itself to be more compliant - for the future's sake. that's what the fuss is. now you know.

but, it will slow everything down. how much we don't know. years? well, we'll see. some of it will take years... but the last time the ros project revamped itself, the project doubled several times in size and accomplishment."

let me know when you have those t-shirts printed cause i'm ready to buy one, maybe more for friends. i can wait for ros, i can wait for shirts. i'll keep waiting.

good luck guys. whatever the numbers boil down to, that little 15% bar makes me ecstatic. i wasn't expecting to see it when i came back here, as i keep doing to see what's new. that bar is just what everyone needs right now. it's exactly what ros was, is, and will continue to be:

a symbol of progress :)
FOSS="MY Computer"
drm="NOT My Computer" http://eff.org
Jaix
Moderator Team

Well spoken menn

Post by Jaix »

Well spoken menn. I couldn't said it better myself!
Davethewave

Who is doing the audit??

Post by Davethewave »

Who is doing the audit? Couldn't one just swear under oath "This is our own source code and none is stollen" and let it be at that? I think they are afraid of ROS and trying to slow it down, it should make the devs feel good that they are being feared and looked at as a threat :D
Craftkiller

Post by Craftkiller »

I know programming and debugging can be tiresome but please keep programming, I love your operating system! right now i am using windows XP pro and I still run qemu with reactos on it to play solitaire, tommorow i am putting in a 2nd harddrive to my comp and installing a full install of reactos!
A-v-S
Location: BAEK CITY (Beek, Limburg, The Netherlands, Europe, Earth)

Post by A-v-S »

Yeah ... keep on programming :)
ReactOS is one of my favourite operating systems...
and i want to see it be finished :)
"you laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same"

http://www.il.fontys.nl/~andre
Jaix
Moderator Team

ROS development is happening.

Post by Jaix »

I can make you happy by telling you that ReactOS development is happening now already along with the audit, the svn is constantly updated. The only sad thing is that some of the developers is taking a time-out before they start again, hopefully all and more will soon start develop more and yet faster.
Stead

Post by Stead »

i can't blame developers for taking a time out as you say, can't work all the time!!!

i'm just glad things are still going on, after reading that reactos is dead, long life reactos ? or thing on the front page i thought it was going to say the project is finished, bit of a confusing title if you ask me :p