User "blackwingcat" from the msfn BB

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Tobi

User "blackwingcat" from the msfn BB

Post by Tobi »

Hi,
recently I asked Google if some features are available with my current Windows XP installation. So I stumbled across the user blackwingcat of the MSFN forum.

Is this user already active at the ReactOS project?

Here is his profile at the msfn forum:
http://www.msfn.org/board/profile/194613-blackwingcat/

Here is his blog:

http://blog.livedoor.jp/blackwingcat/

Obvioulsy he's from Japan an does some kind of KernelEx stuff for Windows 2000. Maybe he could be a good addition to the ReactOS team...?
ROCKNROLLKID

Re: User "blackwingcat" from the msfn BB

Post by ROCKNROLLKID »

On his profile "I can use x86 and Z80 assembler, PHP, Perl, VC++."

ReactOS is mostly C, with some parts in C++. There is only a tiny bit of assembly being used.

Anyways, you could try contacting him. Maybe he would be willing to learn C/C++, if he liked ReactOS.

A search of their forums shows ReactOS was mentioned, at one time, many years ago, but that was when everyone still thought it was a Windows 98 clone. http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/116582-reactos-fork/

I suppose you could also just make a forum post over there mentioning ReactOS and how it isn't a 98 clone anymore and how we have some paid developers working on the project, etc.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

VC++ is C++ btw... MSVC one
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
ROCKNROLLKID

Post by ROCKNROLLKID »

Lol, I so thought that was an s, as in Visual Studio, when I was writing. Sorry.
blackwingcat

Post by blackwingcat »

Anyone called me ? :3
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Well, in that case the thread necro is legit. ^^

Yes, someone called a while ago and wondered if you know about ReactOS I guess ^^ No clue if his plan was that the project knocks on your home door or... no idea. More likely I assume he will try to persuade you to join ReactOS :P So be warned ^^ Anyways, how do you think about ROS?
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
Patchworks

Post by Patchworks »

Well, some years ago I was very active @ MSFN - https://msfn.org/board/profile/55261-patchworks/ - promoting open source stuff (ROS too, of course).

I also lauched an idea to otain "a fully 100% working system since 0.00001 alpha release" that was called:
[ external image ] (logo designed by me)

Inspired by 98SE2ME, the idea is to make a patcher that - gradually - substitutes components of a working Windows installation with open source counterparts.

Unfortunally, I'm not a dev so the idea was deadlocked.

If someone is interested, I'll glad to collaborate with.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Logo - great, the name, Opendows looks enough at first glance to be "Open VMS" and that made me smile. There is or will be a point where the components of ReactOS will be mature enough to do what you suggest, substituting one object for another. In any case the completeness of the functionality contained within each component is only fully discovered by tested within Windows, comparing like with like &c.

Join Mattermost - https://chat.reactos.org/reactos/channels/town-square and introduce yourself there.

You will have something to contribute I am certain. The community takes a little getting used to, there are conventions as to the right thing to say/contribute &c (just as all communities) but they are a nice enough 'bunch' - I am sure you will be welcome. Be sure to introduce yourself and your skillset and what you'd like to offer/get out of ReactOS involvement. They'll suggest a path.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

I like the idea out of one specific reason. Bugfixing. If you replace ONE file and have problem X then you MUST have a bug in said replaced one. Good old blackboxing, but in a larger way... Nice

PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

Taking the above further, if you fix the one used to replace the "official" one to where it works, then you might end up with breakage elsewhere. Or you can do it the other way by putting the official file in place of the ROS file if you are looking for associated breakages when things are done correctly. So you modify the associated files to where the Windows file works, then fix that file to work with those that were fixed.

That approach reminds me of the New Explorer. It was made to work on Windows and was tested in Windows. Some devs tried to modify it to make it work in ROS when the problem was in other files. Eventually, several developers worked on what was broken or missing and got it to work.
Patchworks

Post by Patchworks »

dizt3mp3r wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:37 pmYou will have something to contribute I am certain. The community takes a little getting used to, there are conventions as to the right thing to say/contribute &c (just as all communities) but they are a nice enough 'bunch' - I am sure you will be welcome. Be sure to introduce yourself and your skillset and what you'd like to offer/get out of ReactOS involvement. They'll suggest a path.
Dhehe, of course, I've already contribute quite a bit to ROS project in many ways (I'm forart the "Open your windows to freedom" author, but user gone and can't restore so made a new one):
https://www.reactos.org/forum/search.ph ... 4&sr=posts