ReactOS didn't work on 5 computers: BSOD

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Somchai

ReactOS didn't work on 5 computers: BSOD

Post by Somchai »

As the title says!

I've 5 computers: 1 Acer Aspire Laptop 4752G; 1 Acer Aspire One N2800; 1 Acer Aspire L310; 1 Desktop Asrock 970 Extreme 3 MB, and 1 Desktop Biostar TA75M MB!

I tried for both install and Live CD to run ReactOS 4.11 and each end up with BSOD!

I didn't use VW at all and would like to start with that too.

Any Idea what I may could try again? Thanks for any info.
dizt3mp3r

Re: ReactOS didn't work on 5 computers: BSOD

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Try it on a virtual machine first and test it there. That will allow you to get a taste of ReactOS and its current state of development.

If you really want to test it on real hardware then search the forum for a particular machine and see if anyone has had any luck installing a version of ReactOS on that type of machine.

Obviously, expecting an alpha version of an o/s, be it ReactOS or whatever, is a high but misplaced expectation as the o/s is unstable and hardware support is limited. If the machines were originally built for XP then you will have more of a chance but still, lower your expectations if you were planning to use ReactOS as anything other than a test to see if it yet installs at all on hardware.

Note: ReactOS is Alpha and not ready for use, read the installation instructions and protect your data!
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
ROCKNROLLKID

Post by ROCKNROLLKID »

When does it BSOD? When it tries to load setup? When you are trying to partition? During desktop?

.4.11 is kind of old now. You should try .4.12 or the latest nightly, which have a number of BSOD fixes, and see if it still happens.
Somchai

Post by Somchai »

ROCKNROLLKID wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:39 pm When does it BSOD? When it tries to load setup? When you are trying to partition? During desktop?

.4.11 is kind of old now. You should try .4.12 or the latest nightly, which have a number of BSOD fixes, and see if it still happens.
Thanks for your answer.

The BSOD appears while startup to the Setup with the same outcome on all 5 computers.

The Acer Aspire L310 even is a plain XP Machine and ReactOS could not be installed on that one too. But I may try the .4.12 later today and see there will be any changes (for me)!
Somchai

Post by Somchai »

dizt3mp3r wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:00 pm Try it on a virtual machine first and test it there. That will allow you to get a taste of ReactOS and its current state of development.

If you really want to test it on real hardware then search the forum for a particular machine and see if anyone has had any luck installing a version of ReactOS on that type of machine.

Obviously, expecting an alpha version of an o/s, be it ReactOS or whatever, is a high but misplaced expectation as the o/s is unstable and hardware support is limited. If the machines were originally built for XP then you will have more of a chance but still, lower your expectations if you were planning to use ReactOS as anything other than a test to see if it yet installs at all on hardware.

Note: ReactOS is Alpha and not ready for use, read the installation instructions and protect your data!
Thanks for your answer.

I'm well aware of the use of an Alpha Version and know the 'hick-hack' with that, just also an Alpha should be able to work on most Hardware. As it's run right now, it seems to be going the same (terrible) way as Apple with its OS'es which normally only works on very specific Hardware, beside of being Unix based. ReactOS seems to be much more bound to Microsoft and PC based hard- and software, so it should be more easily working on most of today available x86 machines.
oldman

Post by oldman »

Somchai wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:49 pm Any Idea what I may could try again? Thanks for any info.
* Remove any USB peripherals from the computer.
USB is still buggy. Use PS2 mouse and keyboard.

* Try installing more than once.
It is worth trying up to about 4 times. It just might succeed on further attempts.
Please keep the Windows classic 9x/2000 look and feel.
The layman's guides - debugging - bug reporting - compiling - ISO remaster.
They may help you with a problem, so do have a look at them.
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

Maybe even try disabling USB in the CMOS or whatever hardware setup.
Somchai

Post by Somchai »

Nice Advice!

But, what happens if NO CD/DVD, Floppy is available, like on Netbook and/or Laptop not to talk about Windows Tablet? So, how to boot into ReactOS?

ReactOS isn't that old, it's development started AFTER USB was standard already for some years! And a Live CD/USB should even work easier.

If a Live CD/USB isn't working in a bunch of computers, I even wouldn't think about to buy, get and start to install VMWare on any of my computers.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Somchai wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:20 amit seems to be going the same (terrible) way as Apple with its OS'es which normally only works on very specific Hardware
No. Not really. It is just what you should expect with an o/s that is still in its infancy, developers are working on other things so a lot of hardware support is simply missing at the moment. On top of that it probably hasn't been tested with all the various flavours of hardware components that can exist inside a machine, specifically yours...

Therefore, you have choices, test it using hardware that others have successfully managed to get to work, test it in a VM or do as I suggest and search the forum and see if anyone else has done such a test on similar hardware, see how they got on.

The final alternative is to simply wait around for ReactOS to mature and eventually, we hope, real hardware support will become less of a hit and miss than it is now.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
Maxis

Post by Maxis »

Somchai
Did you try to boot livecd from USB or from CD-ROM? Release or latest version ReactOS cannot boot from USB. But you may try USB ISOs from here https://vgal.ru.com If ReactOS doesn't boot then try to delete these files from USB stick after flashing vgal ReactOS image: fbtusb.sys and everything related to hdaudbus drivers. These files located in reactos\system32 or reactos\system32\drivers folders. Also you may need to disable webcamera in BIOS.
I even wouldn't think about to buy, get and start to install VMWare on any of my computers
You don't need to buy vmware. Try freeware VirtualBox or vmware player on your home/primary computer.
Quim

Post by Quim »

What about this method described in LiveUSB wiki (https://www.reactos.org/wiki/LiveUSB) ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eancDwm ... e=youtu.be ReactOS hybrid usb-key creation and boot by Hbelusca

Does vgal website use non-encrypted SSL? It only works as " http://vgal.ru.com/ "