ReiserFS for ReactOS & Windows -- Full Source Code

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Should ReiserFS be the ReactOS de facto filesystem driver while keeping FAT and others as optional?

Yes
60%
No
40%

Total votes: 142

Phalanx

Post by Phalanx »

They spend for ever making the GDI faster than windows (now it is on fire and burning rubber). As for a filesystem, there ReiserFS is already there, and burns overall many other operating systems. Really, ReactOS should be defaulting to a secure/fast install, and that is what ReiserFS can achive (and stop much data missing problems). I think ReiserFS would just give ReactOS the edge as a default filesystem.

We are not going to NTFS going well soon. FAT with added layers is not FAT, and is not going to be the same. So just keep FAT (cause it is used to connect to many devices), and default to the best posible filesystem for general use.
bastetfurry

Post by bastetfurry »

Hmm... FAT is fat, so lets use ReiserFS ^.^
--
Wir sind kein Mensch und keine Katze.
Wir sind wer wir sind.
Wir sind die Kinder des Zwielichtes.
Wir sind Bastet.
Duble0Syx

Post by Duble0Syx »

I'd definitely like to see reiser as an option. I use linux constantly, and I use reiser for the OS and XFS for file storage. Reiser if a much more reasonable choice than NTFS. Aside from NTFS needing defreagmented, there are other obvious issues. People are complaining about cross compatability, but the only thing that can read/write properly to NTFS is windows. While the same may be true of reiser, you can't get to the source code for NTFS. Also I'd just love to see linux compatability in ReactOS someday as well. Be great to "natively" run linux and windows apps side by side. Hvaing a common FS between them would be a great start, and FAT is really outdated and featureless. I've not used it in years. I had a remote control that would not install on NT4, which I guessed was due to the version of NTFS, but that problem has been covered. Point is, use Reiser or Reiser4 and the world will be a better place. :D
oiaohm

Developers Call.

Post by oiaohm »

http://rfsd.sourceforge.net/

Yes its alpha software but is a working driver for Reiser.

So the project is started lets help out and merge into Reactos.
Dr. Fred
Developer

Post by Dr. Fred »

Hey cool, the website sais that it is almost stable already. But it is not the Reiser4 everyone is so excited about.
Where do you want ReactOS to go today ?
Alkali

Is it official?

Post by Alkali »

so will this be the official defalt file system or what?
Viator

Post by Viator »

the reson i wont support ntfs is because even microsoft is showing interest in moving away from it so why work really hard for a really long time just t have the rug pulled out from under you by microsoft when it switches to winfs.
MadRat

Post by MadRat »

Viator wrote:the reson i wont support ntfs is because even microsoft is showing interest in moving away from it so why work really hard for a really long time just t have the rug pulled out from under you by microsoft when it switches to winfs.
Because the project is to catch ahold of those that Microsoft dumps. ROS will pickup nicely when this happens and MS will fall a victim to their own arrogance. Quite frankly if the past evolution of Windows did not so upset these developers this project would of never been launched to begin with.
Go Huskers!
ScoTTie

Post by ScoTTie »

Viator wrote:the reson i wont support ntfs is because even microsoft is showing interest in moving away from it so why work really hard for a really long time just t have the rug pulled out from under you by microsoft when it switches to winfs.
WinFS is as i understand just a layer over NTFS.
TiKu

Post by TiKu »

ScoTTie wrote:
WinFS is as i understand just a layer over NTFS.
Correct.
Lemi4

ReiserFS IFSD

Post by Lemi4 »

Umm... someone at Digg just found an IFSD for ReiserFS at sourceforge; check it out:

http://digg.com/linux_unix/Reiser_Driver_for_Windows

The digg leads to RFSD, and according to its announcement page the project was started on May 2005, last updated June the same year, was scheduled for an August release, but was postponed on October because the project owner got a job at Amazon...
TiKu

Re: Developers Call.

Post by TiKu »

(From this thread - 7 posts above yours ;))
Lemi4

Re: Developers Call.

Post by Lemi4 »

TiKu wrote:
(From this thread - 7 posts above yours ;))
Whoops, sorry my bad :0)
Headstrong

Post by Headstrong »

I noticed that has well via diggdot.us.
I added the link to the RFSD site in the wiki for the next time someone who can code thinks about Reiser for ReactOS. (I was surprized that it was not already there)

although I could not see the source code, it is GPL so I am sure it is around somewhere.
etko

Post by etko »

I don't get people who are fighting for FATxx/NTFS as main volume FS for ReactOS. What's the problem? FAT driver won't disappear, because it will be always needed for reading floppies, usb sticks and other bullshit. So if you have an old 2 GB disk with FAT32, which you use like "diskfloppy" there won't be the problem. If I got it right Linux based NTFS read only driver will be provided, so if you have another NTFS formated device, you can use it to read your disk, so no interoperability problem. There will be support for original MS drivers, as ReactOS states it WILL be binary compatible with WinNT, so using the NTFS to the fullest will be only question of providing right drivers. Where you get those is your problem (whether you will use the ones from your legal copy of windows, or the ones from warez one, its your decision/problem).

ReiserFS seems to be ideal FS driver. It is FOSS, stable, fast and we have propably rough skeleton of the driver at our disposal.

I don't see a point. Argument about 8.3 names is bullshit, even NTFS does exactly the same, it generates them on the fly and it stores them in extended file attributes, I think. Anyway there is registry key to turn this behavior off so it you can fsck up all your dosapps when you want and enable them again just by changing this key.

Argument about linux tools used to do recovery is another bullshit. If I am not wrong THERE is already LiveCD of ReactOS, so whole problem is with making "ROS Recovery LiveCD edition". I guess that even prepared recovery mini ROS could be included onto normal Setup CD with complete GUI and all to bypass whole ugly recovery console thing.

And yes I thik that ReiserFS should be set as default FS because dumb people are too dumb to select right one FS, and the ones who want FAT32 still can select it.