Upload filters

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

PurpleGurl

Re: Upload filters

Post by PurpleGurl »

I find regulations like these concerning, and I also find the non-civil attitude towards those at this forum who look at the larger picture of possible government collusion and misconduct to be concerning. If someone believes something underhanded is happening, I see it as their civil responsibility to bring it up, though to be honest, there are more appropriate venues for doing so. However, making uncivil comments about such people, attacking their credibility or questioning their mental wellness, etc., are not appropriate anywhere, IMHO. There is no "conspiracy crap," just dominating, controlling people trying to silence people with certain views. I apologize in advance for feeling someone must say that.

Hopefully the nonprofit exemptions would apply to us.
karlexceed

Post by karlexceed »

I agree with you on most every point you've brought up.

That said, bringing up the idea of some sort of 'NWO'/'shadow government'/Illuminati-type group is absolutely conspiracy theory territory. And this forum is not for discussing such things. Nor is it for discussing politics outside of the scope where they impact ReactOS.
erkinalp

Post by erkinalp »

PurpleGurl wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:59 pmHopefully the nonprofit exemptions would apply to us.
Better safe than sorry. If we had upload filters now, this very post would classify as plagiarism and be censored.
-uses Ubuntu+GNOME 3 GNU/Linux
-likes Free (as in freedom) and Open Source Detergents
-favors open source of Windows 10 under GPL2
karlexceed

Post by karlexceed »

erkinalp wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:16 pm If we had upload filters now, this very post would classify as plagiarism and be censored.
Quoting someone isn't plagiarism.
middings

Post by middings »

As I see it, quoting someone without attribution is one of the forms of plagiarism occasionally seen in this forum.
ThFabba
Developer

Post by ThFabba »

The point is, an automated filter can't tell the difference and might therefore flag your post, even if it's blatantly obvious to a person that it's not a violation. That is (part of) what people are concerned about with this regulation.
erkinalp

Post by erkinalp »

The law has been passed, but not ratified by national entities. Now, it is time to discuss how we will implement necessary filters and appeal mechanisms.
bobbykennedy

Post by bobbykennedy »

They're not going to go after random forum posts or code commits... these law is meant to protect garbage music and videos by EU-based publishers that are copyrighted.
erkinalp

Post by erkinalp »

We cannot assume that.
shunesburg

Post by shunesburg »

bobbykennedy wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:00 pm They're not going to go after random forum posts or code commits... these law is meant to protect garbage music and videos by EU-based publishers that are copyrighted.
At beginning it not from EU, but US.
The pressures of US companies on EU with the helps of lobbies are very high, and the laws follow these pressures.

For the implement of the update filters, it will made with an upgrade of the commit server (I don't what is it maybe GIT or SVN...), when the option will be ready, there is no link with ReactOS itself.
karlexceed

Post by karlexceed »

Since the only part of the ROS infrastructure that's really 'customized' seems to be the LDAP auth, I assume phpBB, GitHub, Mattermost, etc will all either have these features implemented or will have plugins available to assist the admins with the task at hand.
bobbykennedy

Post by bobbykennedy »

If you're so concerned about upload filters, stop hosting reactos.org in Germany. The WHOIS lookups say the webhost/datacenter is Hetzner.

https://git.reactos.org
https://www.reactos.org

The above need would to switch to a web host in a non-EU/EEA country, such as a Swiss or Russian host. Then you don't have to concern yourself about upload filters or anything else unrelated to ReactOS development.
[ external image ]
erkinalp

Post by erkinalp »

Russia is going to isolate its internet very soon. Switzerland is subject to the same copyright rules as EU. Andorra also follows EU rules closely, although it is not a member of it due to historical reasons. San Marino might work.
onestop_mid

Post by onestop_mid »

I suggest hosting ReactOS in the good ol' USA.
erkinalp

Post by erkinalp »

GitHub is already in the US.