editing ReactOS .msstyle

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Quim

editing ReactOS .msstyle

Post by Quim »

Let´s give a test to this tool:
https://github.com/nptr/msstyleEditor
Finally an Open Source tool to edit .msstyles .

And some doc:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... t-overview
gonzoMD

Re: editing ReactOS .msstyle

Post by gonzoMD »

This is a tool for 7/8/10 ms style format. We use one compatible to XP/2k3 so I fear it won't help much (yet).
Quim

Post by Quim »

gonzoMD wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:50 pm This is a tool for 7/8/10 ms style format. We use one compatible to XP/2k3 so I fear it won't help much (yet).
Unfortunately yes. And when opening ReactOS lautus .msstyle (in Windows 7 or + ), this program just closes. :(

gonzoMD wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:50 pm We use one compatible to XP/2k3
What program is? Could you give me a link ?
I wanted to do a new msstyle.
justincase

Post by justincase »

gonzoMD wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:50 pmThis is a tool for 7/8/10 ms style format. We use one compatible to XP/2k3 so I fear it won't help much (yet).
Quim wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:05 amWhat program is? Could you give me a link ?
I think gonzoMD meant that our format is compatible with Windows XP/Server 2003, not our tool.
Quim wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:05 amI wanted to do a new msstyle.
To my knowledge the existing .msstyle files we have were created manually, not using any third party software.
So your best bet is simply to go through the ReactOS source, copy the portion that creates the "Lautus" msstyle, and edit it to create your own msstyle.
I reserve the right to ignore any portion of any post if I deem it not constructive or likely to cause the discussion to degenerate.
gonzoMD

Post by gonzoMD »

Yes I meant the format. We don't use a tool but compile the styles at building time. Just check the sources of our themes Lautus and modern.
Quim

Post by Quim »

There are two, completely different, style formats. Windows XP and thus ReactOS use the old format.
Windows Vista and on use the new format. Both formats share the same file extension.

The old .msstyles are easily human editable because its just a resource dll that contains bitmaps and plaintext style descriptions.
The new format is also a resource dll, but in contrast, the style description (color, positions etc.) are in an
undocumented binary format.
You are using the old format, so you can just open your .msstyle files with a PE resource editor and easily edit it without much previous knowledge. I also think there are tools that support XP styles, i bet even free ones; haven't researched tho.

For the new format, my tool is there to help. Supporting the old format was never intended and
won't happen unless someone decides to do a PR. You are however right with that i should at least open
a dialog box explaining that the old format is not supported instead of just exiting/crashing the program.
Supporting the old format was never intended and
won't happen unless someone decides to do a PR
Could anyone do a Pull Request to see if classic .msstyle format ,that ReactOS uses, is included?
I tryied to do a pull request, but I am not familiar with Github pull request process. :(
ThFabba
Developer

Post by ThFabba »

A Pull Request is for suggesting a code change.
That means in order to make one for this purpose, you actually need to write the code that implements support for the other format.