Start menu

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

shunesburg

Start menu

Post by shunesburg »

Hi, the start menu of XP is not implemented yet, and Classic Shell has became open source, is name is now "Open Shell", why don't use the source of it too implement what is missing ?
https://github.com/Open-Shell/Open-Shell-Menu
ThFabba
Developer

Re: Start menu

Post by ThFabba »

That code may be useful, but a large part of the challenge is to implement the correct COM interfaces. I don't think Classic Shell does this, so there's still some research needed.
middings

Post by middings »

Yes, the suggestion to use Classic Shell as ReactOS's GUI shell has been made many times over the years. Eventually one of the ReactOS developers (devs) points out that Classic Shell is not a replacement for Microsoft Windows's shell code. Instead, Classic Shell (and other shell modifying programs like it) rely on the shell that the OS provides to create the illusion that it is a different shell. Classic Shell can not run on ReactOS until ReactOS provides a full shell and all the necessary interfaces that every Windows OS supplies.

A search of the ReactOS forums for Classic Shell returns 106 results. I was hoping that one of the explanations from a dev could be found in the first or second page of results. I was disappointed.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

middings wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:39 pm Yes, the suggestion to use Classic Shell as ReactOS's GUI shell has been made many times over the years. Eventually one of the ReactOS developers (devs) points out that Classic Shell is not a replacement for Microsoft Windows's shell code. Instead, Classic Shell (and other shell modifying programs like it) rely on the shell that the OS provides to create the illusion that it is a different shell. Classic Shell can not run on ReactOS until ReactOS provides a full shell and all the necessary interfaces that every Windows OS supplies.

A search of the ReactOS forums for Classic Shell returns 106 results. I was hoping that one of the explanations from a dev could be found in the first or second page of results. I was disappointed.
Why not make it a stickie or add it to an FAQ in the WIKI?
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
middings

Post by middings »

I would add this to one of the FAQs in the ReactOS Wiki but I too am in CAPTCHA Hell.
Smiley
Developer

Post by Smiley »

The start menu code in windows is fairly self contained so using that won't be so hard to be honest. I also like its code quality.
shunesburg

Post by shunesburg »

middings wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:39 pm the shell that the OS provides to create the illusion that it is a different shell.
Are you sure?
It was create in the beginning of Windows 8 and at this moment there no shell to transform because there wasn't any shell at all (start menu was none include).