Is ReactOS stable enough for everyday use yet ?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

GarromOrcShaman

Is ReactOS stable enough for everyday use yet ?

Post by GarromOrcShaman »

I'm using Ubuntu for some time now because Microsoft really screwed up and I don't like that thing with lifecycle (shorof, one version of windows last few years before it gets buried) because I like long lasting things and hate the change. Ubuntu looks same for 10 years and it is free so everything is great.... except application avalibility. There are way too much windows-only applications. I like to use my computer for YT and internet forums. I like to develop with GoDot (Reduz said they need vista+ API though). Sometimes Blender 3D, GIMP, audacity and some java based apps. I'd also like to keep my steam library, it wasn't cheap(i bet it is worth more than my laptop). So, is ReactOS mature enough to keep my lifestyle and change OS ?
elhoir
Test Team

Re: Is ReactOS stable enough for everyday use yet ?

Post by elhoir »

Hello!
Thatś the goal of ReactOS of course!! but as you know OS is in alpha stage. No, it's not mature ehough for a migration yet. Do you want to help us with coding? ;)
amber

Post by amber »

ReactOS is more of a research project than a replacement for Windows. The system has big problems with running on real hardware for most users. THIS ALPHA. If ReactOS was developed by a commercial company, no one would know about it, because the system is not ready. If you don't have programming knowledge, the best way to help the project is by donating: https://reactos.org/donating
GarromOrcShaman

Post by GarromOrcShaman »

elhoir wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:38 am Hello!
Thatś the goal of ReactOS of course!! but as you know OS is in alpha stage. No, it's not mature ehough for a migration yet. Do you want to help us with coding? ;)
I'm sorry but I'm more into languages with high level of abstraction. GDScript or C# to be specific. I have lenovo B 50-80. I will donate as soon as I get some money to spare (it is after christmas time, everyone's broke). If nothing else, I can test ReactOS with load of everyday use (including YT, social media and videogames) and give you report. I'm not C/C++ developer but after I put together my own video game, I believe that I'm enough of tester.
njlyf2011

Post by njlyf2011 »

I think realize this goal requires at least wait until ReactOS 0.6 release.
Quim

Post by Quim »

njlyf2011 wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:07 pm I think realize this goal requires at least wait until ReactOS 0.6 release.
Finally an estimation. :D
Quim

Post by Quim »

GarromOrcShaman wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:21 pm I'm sorry but I'm more into languages with high level of abstraction. GDScript or C# to be specific.
Could you help to develop Win3mu ? It is written in C#. And could be an application to test in ROS.
MadWolf

Post by MadWolf »

I guess a better answer is when ReactOS leaves the beta stage and trying to predict when that will happen will lead to disappointment