Migration Windows XP/2003 Server -> ReactOS

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

elhoir
Test Team

Migration Windows XP/2003 Server -> ReactOS

Post by elhoir »

To my small knowledge of both systems, it would be something quite straight-forward, isn´t it? Just a few environment variables would change.
But i open this topic for discussion about it.
hbelusca
Developer

Re: Migration Windows XP/2003 Server -> ReactOS

Post by hbelusca »

I would personally wait until ReactOS becomes beta.
justincase

Post by justincase »

Yes, a live Windows XP or Server 2003 installation shouldn't be migrated to ReactOS yet, as ReactOS isn't ready for it, however it might not be a bad idea to discuss the requirements of the (future) migration process in order to iron out the details on how it would be accomplished. This would allow people to test the migration process in a test environment so that when ReactOS is ready for people to migrate to it, the migration process will also be ready.

So, if I were to install Windows XP or Windows Server 2003 in a VM, install some software, change some settings, etc. to make it a somewhat realistic test, what's the proper way to try migrating that test environment to ReactOS? Just install ReactOS over it? Does usetup have an 'upgrade' or 'migrate' option? (Note: If one gets added, it should probably be hidden somehow so that new testers don't migrate a live system before ReactOS is ready for everyday use.)
I reserve the right to ignore any portion of any post if I deem it not constructive or likely to cause the discussion to degenerate.
karlexceed

Post by karlexceed »

justincase wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:13 pm Just install ReactOS over it?
Well, not currently. The inability to boot from NTFS would prevent that from being a possibility.

I would think that any *current* migration process would have to involve a second hard drive at a minimum. (On a VM, attach the new drive, install ROS there, then you can access your data on the old drive.)
justincase

Post by justincase »

XP/2003 can be installed on FAT too. This isn't the norm by any means (even PCs that were updated from 9x were usually converted to NTFS) but some, in particular ones where the user dual-booted XP & 9x on the same partition (yes that's possible) were left on FAT. Testing the migration path for these systems should be possible without NTFS drivers, but again should only be done in test environments, where it doesn't matter if the data, and possibly even hardware is damaged.

So again, if I were to install Windows 98 in a VM, install stuff, change settings, upgrade it to XP without converting the disk to NTFS, play with it some more, then migrate it to ReactOS, what would be the proper method of completing that XP->ReactOS migration? Using the Upgrade option in usetup? or is this only for upgrading from older versions of ReactOS?
I reserve the right to ignore any portion of any post if I deem it not constructive or likely to cause the discussion to degenerate.