Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

tmvkrpxl0

Black screen after driver loaded

Post by tmvkrpxl0 »

I burned iso in my cd-rw
And booted, but it doesn't do anything after boot drivers loaded
Just blackscreen..
I installed boot iso, and lastest version.
ThFabba
Developer

Re: Black screen after driver loaded

Post by ThFabba »

It's helpful to give the exact file name of the iso file you used. Make sure it's a GCC, not an MSVC one. What kind of hardware or VM are you testing on? If your machine has a serial port, capturing text output from that would give more information about what might be going wrong -- https://www.reactos.org/wiki/Debugging# ... t_messages
tmvkrpxl0

Post by tmvkrpxl0 »

ThFabba wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:31 pm It's helpful to give the exact file name of the iso file you used. Make sure it's a GCC, not an MSVC one. What kind of hardware or VM are you testing on? If your machine has a serial port, capturing text output from that would give more information about what might be going wrong -- https://www.reactos.org/wiki/Debugging# ... t_messages
I just pressed Download button in Home page. so version is 0.4.10
I will download reactos-bootcd-0.4.12-dev-37-g3ba51dc-x86-gcc-lin-dbg.7z
and try to install it. i hope it work
============================
Edit.
Ok, not working either. Same thing happens
middings

Post by middings »

Hey, tmvkrpxl0, please reveal the model of PC you are using. A link to the manufacturer's web site that describes your PC would be helpful. If your PC is a 'white box' or home built PC, please identify your PC's motherboard and link to the manufacturer's web page with its technical information.

When ReactOS offers nothing but an empty, black screen when booting, we must use psychic debugging methods. My psychic powers are weak but they tell me that ReactOS failed while enumerating installed devices. The most common cause of this is a USB device attached to the computer. This includes USB keyboards and mice. Laptop computers often use USB to connect their keyboards and mouse devices to the laptop PC's main board.
tmvkrpxl0

Post by tmvkrpxl0 »

middings wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:33 am Hey, tmvkrpxl0, please reveal the model of PC you are using. A link to the manufacturer's web site that describes your PC would be helpful. If your PC is a 'white box' or home built PC, please identify your PC's motherboard and link to the manufacturer's web page with its technical information.

When ReactOS offers nothing but an empty, black screen when booting, we must use psychic debugging methods. My psychic powers are weak but they tell me that ReactOS failed while enumerating installed devices. The most common cause of this is a USB device attached to the computer. This includes USB keyboards and mice. Laptop computers often use USB to connect their keyboards and mouse devices to the laptop PC's main board.
My PC SPEC:
GPU:GTX 1050
Motherboard:ASUS B250M-A motherboard
Memory:16GB MEMORY (double 8GB memory cards with LED heat-shield on it)
Storage1 TB HDD x2 + 256 GB SSD
CPU:I5 7600

Something funny thing is, I put ReactOS ISO File USB with ReactOS ISO CD (but those things are same file, and when i tried to install reactos with usb, some noise came from my cd-rom just like when i tried to install reactos with cd)
binarymaster

Post by binarymaster »

middings wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:33 am When ReactOS offers nothing but an empty, black screen when booting, we must use psychic debugging methods.
Did you mean physic debugging methods? :lol:
middings wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:33 am My psychic powers are weak but they tell me that ReactOS failed while enumerating installed devices.
Strong psychic is a prerequisite for ReactOS debugging. :P
onestop_mid

Post by onestop_mid »

tmvkrpxl0 wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:00 pm I burned iso in my cd-rw
Just blackscreen..
Did you copy the ISO or the files inside of it?
middings

Post by middings »

Psychic debugging.

Because psychic powers are often not enough, read How to Report Bugs Effectively by Simon Tatham and follow his advice.

If the ReactOS Boot CD was made correctly from the downloaded .iso file, then try removing all USB devices from the test PC before installing ReactOS. If this does not resolve the black screen problem, then try ThFabba's suggestion. The ReactOS Wiki's Debugging page and the A layman's guide - How to get a debug log written by User:Oldman describe how to obtain a debug log.
Illen

Post by Illen »

tmvkrpxl0 wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:08 am Motherboard:ASUS B250M-A motherboard
Don't bother trying then, apparently, UniATA (the storage controller driver that ReactOS uses) has issues with AHCI controllers found in Skylake+ chipsets (tested on multiple Skylake+ machines, looks similar to CORE-14230). Intel has removed the IDE emulation option since Skylake, and you can't splitstream the Intel AHCI driver, as it doesn't work in ReactOS (see CORE-15073). LiveCD RAM is the only option to boot ReactOS there, although it's quite limited and you won't be really able do anything with it. If you really want to install ReactOS there, you have to either get an PCIe EHCI (USB 2.0) controller and use VGal's ReactOS build (which has new USB stack capable of USB boot), or PCIe SATA controller that is supported by UniATA (can't help much there, but I suppose that getting an older one is a safe bet). Still, I cannot guarantee that you will get ReactOS running on that machine, if you don't have any of these PCIe expansion cards, I would rather suggest to wait until the development team manages to solve at least one of the issues I mentioned before.
ThFabba
Developer

Post by ThFabba »

Boy that's a lot of work-arounds. Or just get a log with UniATA debugging enabled (uncomment https://git.reactos.org/?p=reactos.git; ... b0b5a2d#l8) and file a ticket for Alter, the UniATA developer.
tmvkrpxl0

Post by tmvkrpxl0 »

onestop_mid wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:48 pm
tmvkrpxl0 wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:00 pm I burned iso in my cd-rw
Just blackscreen..
Did you copy the ISO or the files inside of it?
No, I installed linux 4+ times
I know how to install it. i use some program to BURN in cd
and i checked inside of cd, and there were contents of ISO. not ISO file.
orimavi

Post by orimavi »

Illen wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:37 am
tmvkrpxl0 wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:08 am Motherboard:ASUS B250M-A motherboard
Don't bother trying then, apparently, UniATA (the storage controller driver that ReactOS uses) has issues with AHCI controllers found in Skylake+ chipsets (tested on multiple Skylake+ machines, looks similar to CORE-14230). Intel has removed the IDE emulation option since Skylake, and you can't splitstream the Intel AHCI driver, as it doesn't work in ReactOS (see CORE-15073). LiveCD RAM is the only option to boot ReactOS there, although it's quite limited and you won't be really able do anything with it. If you really want to install ReactOS there, you have to either get an PCIe EHCI (USB 2.0) controller and use VGal's ReactOS build (which has new USB stack capable of USB boot), or PCIe SATA controller that is supported by UniATA (can't help much there, but I suppose that getting an older one is a safe bet). Still, I cannot guarantee that you will get ReactOS running on that machine, if you don't have any of these PCIe expansion cards, I would rather suggest to wait until the development team manages to solve at least one of the issues I mentioned before.
hey guys

is this issue still wip in the 2022 rel of reactos?
I mean in 2017 this smart guy had the explanation of why booting cd/dvd/usb where not working after the "loading drivers" then blank/frozen screen..;

just post this, cause I have few laptops there, inspiron, vaio, samsung and hp, from business ranges and individual ones too, whom are not able at all to boot the install/boot cd... was thinking I was badly doing the liveusb, then burning install cd, but it's not coming from CD/DVD/usb creation, but well from software, whom seems to do not support ... intel chipset?

well, a bit sad to have few hours to ggle and find expanation here instead of a bugfix on that project :D

Im happy to have rational explanation, but regarding solving it, I guess I can't deal with uninstallable project :o