67 specific reasons for wanting ReactOS:

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

anthracen

Re: 50 specific reasons for wanting ReactOS:

Post by anthracen »

EmuandCo wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:04 pm @anthracen I ignored your useless trolling crap posts long enough now. If you have nothing useful to say then SHUT THE F*CK UP! Last warning before I am the one making you stfu forever in here!
Thanks for your frankness, it's really important for me to know what you think about my posts, really, ;) and also worth noting, - my posts' characterisctic given by you as well depicts you as a moderator quite qell. <3 Still, there is one interesting moment over there, - let me ask you where did you find forum rules violation in my comments in this thread? or there are no rules, it's just what you dislike at the moment? Or forum rules violation are when your personal toady gets pissed off because he was being pointed to his arrogance? So write out this in the rules and then scary me with your ban! because otherwise it's only your business - you and your "exteremely useful" suck-up. get it! ;)
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3709 for anyone being blindfolded like you. Can be found in ANY subforums here as 1st post. While we are at it... you show the common signs of a typical 5th grade troll kiddie thinking because he now has hair on non public spots makes him god himself... Yeah, thats no reason for ban...

But wait...
1. Be polite, be courteous, be civil.
OMG, IT IS!
Thus to close this case for good, perma ban for anthracen. Reasoning: Breaking of rule #1 and #3. And luckily there is this line in rule #1, too:
It will be up to the moderators and administrators to determine in their own judgment which punishment is appropriate.
Goodbye FOREVER
Now you can party, but please not in here, BACK TO TOPIC
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Back on topic.

33. Re-worded.

33. Will be able to support many different types of Windows filesystems. Will run FAT32 and NTFS in kernel mode as well as non-native types such as BTRF and ReiserFS, will support CDFS, VFD, UDF as well as network file systems.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
dizt3mp3r

Re: 51 specific reasons for wanting ReactOS:

Post by dizt3mp3r »

51. ReactOS won't make a previously licensed version of the o/s into an unlicensed one overnight as can happen on Windows without warning and without any changes being made to the machine... see 34.

See the main list here: https://www.reactos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15868
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
dizt3mp3r

Re: 52 specific reasons for wanting ReactOS:

Post by dizt3mp3r »

52. ReactOS won't prevent you from installing your software the way you prefer, will never force you to use the ReactOS appstore under some Unified ReactOS Framework as Microsoft ultimately intends to do.

See the main list here: https://www.reactos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15868
mametoc

Post by mametoc »

dizt3mp3r wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:31 pm If anyone says, "what's the point in ReactOS, I have Windows, why would I want ReactOS instead?" I give them this list:

Note: The list starts with my own personal desires and then matures into more of a wishlist with reasons supplied by the community.
All the reasons are covered whit GNULinux+Wine, frankly i dont see any "specific" reasons here. All advantages are soo poorly what is exact the reason why people is not get crazy whit ReactOS by the use done in Windows by mid user, exactly the same reason why people is not get crazy whit GNULinux (nevermind) as much free software is the diustro and/or apps.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

anyone? ;)
wdstudios

Post by wdstudios »

53: ability to copy/download files directly to root
54: ability to edit files in the "Program files" and "Program files (x86)" directories
55: ANIMATED WALLPAPERS!
56: Never having to see "Artist", "Album", etc. in the "Arrange Icons By..." menu unless I specifically added them, and always being able to see "Type", "Size", and "Modified" unless I specifically removed them.
57: The "Open With..." menu remembering EVERY program that can open a file type
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Some clarification required in order to make it to the list:
wdstudios wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:33 pm 53: ability to copy/download files directly to root
I presume you mean being able to download to the root of a hard drive, can you explain why this is such an important thing for you? You can of course already copy files to the root. With regard to downloads I have always created a specific folder for downloads and placed everything there.
wdstudios wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:33 pm 54: ability to edit files in the "Program files" and "Program files (x86)" directories
I am unsure that this restriction won't also make it into ReactOS at some time but as it aims to replicate the functions of 2003 then it is unlikely to do so at the outset, so I'll add this one to the list if it isn't there already.
wdstudios wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:33 pm 55: ANIMATED WALLPAPERS!
I don't think ReactOS will support animated wallpapers by default, do you mean just GIFs or animated PNGs?, I wouldn't imagine it is one of the dev's aims if it is new functionality. There are tools such as rainWallpaper that already adds that. It might work on ReactOS. If it is old functionality you want replicated then I'll add it to the list.
wdstudios wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:33 pm 56: Never having to see "Artist", "Album", etc. in the "Arrange Icons By..." menu unless I specifically added them, and always being able to see "Type", "Size", and "Modified" unless I specifically removed them.
They will be there if they were there on 2003 but just as with 2003 you will be able to customise them and remove them if they are not wanted. I forget as to whether this functionality was present in 2003? It certainly is with Win 7. I won't add this unless you can clarify a specific issue where this still occurs even when you've asked it not to.
wdstudios wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:33 pm 57: The "Open With..." menu remembering EVERY program that can open a file type
I think this is more of a request so I won't add it unless it is restoring older functionality lost, is that the case? - I think you should add it as a feature request to JIRA if you have specific functionality that is over and above what 2003 does already.
Last edited by dizt3mp3r on Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:01 am, edited 3 times in total.
dizt3mp3r

Re: 53 specific reasons for wanting ReactOS:

Post by dizt3mp3r »

53: NT6 added restrictions to the "Program files" and "Program files (x86)" directories and removed the ability to edit and view (?) configuration files files within these folders causing incompatibilities with some programs designed for NT5. ReactOS being compatible with 2003 should provide access to these folders.

Added.

If anyone cares to comment please do.
Last edited by dizt3mp3r on Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
binarymaster

Post by binarymaster »

dizt3mp3r wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:15 pm 53: NT6 added restrictions to the "Program files" and "Program files (x86)" directories and removed the ability to edit and view (?) configuration files files within these folders. ReactOS being compatible with 2003 should provide access to these folders.

Added.

If anyone cares to comment please do.
This is how NT6+ UAC security works. If you want to modify contents of these directories without explicit process elevation, just disable UAC. :roll:

Absolutely the same goes for directly placing files in root directory of system disk.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

This is how NT6+ UAC security works. If you want to modify contents of these directories without explicit process elevation, just disable UAC. :roll:

Absolutely the same goes for directly placing files in root directory of system disk.
No need for the eye roll, we all know that. The option of disabling UAC is often however, not a choice for many Win NT 6 users. In any case we are talking about what ReactOS will do and not what NT6 + does. ReactOS will not have this feature, at least not initially, so as far as this list concerns it seems to be a positive for the poster - In addition I do remember it being a pain in the arse for some program's compatibility where user config data was no longer writable program's folder as designed. So it gets added to the list.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Just re-reading WDStudios posts re: Aspects of Vista/7/8/10 that should NOT be ported to ReactOS,

I'll make changes to the list based upon what I find here.
dizt3mp3r

Re: 54 specific reasons for wanting ReactOS:

Post by dizt3mp3r »

54. ReactOS being compatible with Windows 2003 will hopefully implement facilities that were present in 2003 and subsequently removed in NT6. Specifically, a fully functioning "open with" menu option that remembers all possible associated and useful programs, the ability to display animated images on the active desktop and control and consistency over how audio and associated filetypes are displayed and ordered.

Added.
irony

Post by irony »

Blondie wrote: While we are at it... you show the common signs of a typical 5th grade troll kiddie thinking because he now has hair on non public spots makes him god himself... Yeah, thats no reason for ban...

But wait...
1. Be polite, be courteous, be civil.
OMG, IT IS!
Thus to close this case for good, perma ban for anthracen. Reasoning: Breaking of rule #1 and #3.
Hmmm, interesting. Let's see...
EmuandCo wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:04 pm @anthracen I ignored your useless trolling crap posts long enough now. If you have nothing useful to say then SHUT THE F*CK UP! Last warning before I am the one making you stfu forever in here!
So yeah, "while we are at it", lemme ask you a question - will there be enough bravery for you to ban yourself, blondie? ;)

PS. Haha, I see, You set up it on preview, so no way this ever will be published. Mkay, I wrote this for you, Blondie, enough that you'll read it. ;)