Let the hype begin

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

mrmajik45

Let the hype begin

Post by mrmajik45 »

Get ready for 0.4.10! It's going to have BtrFS boot. I know you can do it with the daily builds but who wants to use a EXTRA unstable release
ReactOS Donator ~ $5.00 | Linux Mint Donator ~ $1.00 in BTC
shunesburg

Re: Let the hype begin

Post by shunesburg »

"EXTRA unstable release" = "daily build"
and it's only for developer tests:
https://www.reactos.org/getbuilds/

When a feature is stable, it's add in the future official release:
https://reactos.org/download
middings

Post by middings »

Brace yourselves for exclamations of "Are you ReactOS people crazy? BtrFS but no NTFS?!"

I wrote an answer to these questions suitable (I hope) for a FAQ:
Crazy like a fox, perhaps. ReactOS developer ThFabba explains, "There is an existing (FOSS) Windows driver for Btrfs, so we use it -- (a) because we can, and (b) because testing it is important to improve the kernel -- see viewtopic.php ... 15#p130860". The ReactOS developers wish that a reliable FOSS NTFS driver for Microsoft Windows Server 2003 existed. If it did then they would choose that (code contributions are welcome, hint hint) instead.

ThFabba again, "We need a documented method for how to do this (file system) stuff, and we need to iron out bugs in (ReactOS's) setup and kernel that prevent us from doing it."
Quim

Post by Quim »

What about Trevor´s work? Anyone knows if he will return next year to complete his work?
https://reactos.org/blogs/gsoc-ntfs-2017-update-1

https://reactos.org/blogs/codertrevor
Missingno50

Post by Missingno50 »

Shadow volumes are quite possibly the best possible Windows feature ever(and could lead to a ReactOS updater, hint hint please add one I'm tired of downloading ISOs when I want to test a daily build), and there is a Linux distro that uses Shadow Volumes. What has me hyped for BtrFS is the fact said Linux distro does it with BtrFS.
[ external image ]
I'm hyped for this potential aspect of ReactOS. I doubt it'll get worked on in a hackfest so I'm not going to put into my hackfest thread but it's always an option.

Edit:Fucking insulted for not crediting god damn Wikipedia, I mean seriously it's result for shadow volumes #1, fucking hell... Guess I don't really have a choice though except to credit it because it's true, I should've fucking credited it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadow_Copy
Last edited by Missingno50 on Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
"We are going to have to act, if we want to live in a different world."
Proud owner of one semi-modern ROS compatible computer. I hope to make an industry out of selling ROS compatibles the moment 0.5.0 releases.
middings

Post by middings »

Referring to someone else's work without so much acknowledgement as a link to the web site you took it from shows a lack of culture.

"Let us stand on each others' shoulders; not each others' toes."--Dennis Allison, co-founder of Dr. Dobb's Journal

edit on 14 September 2018 PDT: change "stole" to "took"
Last edited by middings on Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Missingno50

Post by Missingno50 »

middings wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:28 am Referring to someone else's work without so much acknowledgement as a link to the web site you stole it from shows a lack of culture.

"Let us stand on each others' shoulders; not each others' toes."--Dennis Allison, co-founder of Dr. Dobb's Journal
OH, so you're just plain out insulting me now? That's just GLORIOUS! If you would take literally the first link you looked up and checked it, it would be Wikipedia. I thought this information was so well known at this point I wouldn't need to credit it but it appears SOMEONE says otherwise.

I swear to god this is a running trope straight out of an anime.
"We are going to have to act, if we want to live in a different world."
Proud owner of one semi-modern ROS compatible computer. I hope to make an industry out of selling ROS compatibles the moment 0.5.0 releases.
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

Rule #1 please, be civil. Thank you.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

I call upon the power of BanHammer! :D
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

[ external image ]

As thou command. 2 x 7 days holidays. Banhammer holder starts to fall apart these days... If someone has a problem with that holidays, feel free to go to IRC and complain about me.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
shunesburg

Post by shunesburg »

dizt3mp3r wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:03 pm I call upon the power of BanHammer! :D
Banner-man, Banner-man.
Does whatever a banner can
Spins a web, any size,
Catches flooders just like flies
Look Out!
Here comes the Banner-Man.
justincase

Post by justincase »

shunesburg wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:15 pm Look Out!
Here comes the Banner-Man.
Banner + Hammer =
[ external image ]

Sorry... What was the topic supposed to be here again?
Oh, right BtrFS.
Out of curiosity, how do you say it? (e.g. 'B-Tree-F-S', 'Butter-F-S', 'Better-F-S', or do you say each letter, like 'B-T-R-F-S')
I reserve the right to ignore any portion of any post if I deem it not constructive or likely to cause the discussion to degenerate.
karlexceed

Post by karlexceed »

justincase wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:11 pm Out of curiosity, how do you say it? (e.g. 'B-Tree-F-S', 'Butter-F-S', 'Better-F-S', or do you say each letter, like 'B-T-R-F-S')
I'm a 'pronounce every letter' type. B T R F S. Like NTFS.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Regarding pronunciation of Btrfs , this might be useful:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QBHukn8Qm8
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
shunesburg

Post by shunesburg »

justincase wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:11 pm Out of curiosity, how do you say it? (e.g. 'B-Tree-F-S', 'Butter-F-S', 'Better-F-S', or do you say each letter, like 'B-T-R-F-S')
I'm French and we pronounce "Better-F-S" but with our accent, sometimes it's look like "Butter-F-S" ;-)