the reactOS game

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Floyd

the reactOS game

Post by Floyd »

discussion of the game in the wiki and forum, as far as i can tell, just died.
where can i find out more about the status of the game?
pax mei amici amorque et Iesus sacret omnia
Sami

Post by Sami »

I dont think anybody is working for it. I made the original suggestion about the game, but I do not have time to do something about it. If anybody is interested, take a lead and go for it. You can use this wiki page for the game if you want: http://www.reactos.org/wiki/index.php/ReactOS_Game

(There may still be someone, who does someting for the game Try to contact one of the persons listed in the wiki -page to find out)

ps. I use my spare time for fouding a ReactOS User Group for Finnish reactos endusers FRUG http://koti.mbnet.fi/frug.
temarez

Post by temarez »

Hm... Reacty is interesting personage. When I look at him i think why not design Reacty MS Agent Character for usage in future help system whan it will be available? The only problem it will need some Microsoft libs.
Floyd

pre-packaging open source games

Post by Floyd »

i would like to see wesnoth online (http://www.wesnoth.org) and galaxy mage (http://www.galaxymage.org) be pre-packaged in with reactOS. they're awesome games.
mikedep333

Re: pre-packaging open source games

Post by mikedep333 »

Floyd wrote:i would like to see wesnoth online (www.wesnoth.org) and galaxy mage (www.galaxymage.org) be pre-packaged in with reactOS. they're awesome games.
Large and multiple games will be something for the distros. The base ReactOS is intended to have about the amount of stuff as Windows itself.
menn

Post by menn »

temarez wrote: When I look at him i think why not... Reacty MS Agent Character for usage in future help system...
reacty's ok, but i hope he won't pop up everywhere like ####ing clippy and that miserable dog. also, i feel confident saying that if ros org can create an entire NT kernal, gui, and os, they can probably create a help system that doesn't require ms libs, or get one that is gpl already suiting the task. when i tell clippy to #### off he comes back anyway :( some programs just don't know the meaning of "N"...
FOSS="MY Computer"
drm="NOT My Computer" http://eff.org
temarez

Post by temarez »

menn wrote:reacty's ok, but i hope he won't pop up everywhere like ####ing clippy and that miserable dog ...
... when i tell clippy to #### off he comes back anyway :( some programs just don't know the meaning of "N"...
Some people say that MS Agents technology is useless and annoying. And it really is in such cases (what else could we expect from MS?) But it makes informing more unobtrusive when it is used in right place and in right time. IMHO it is much more convenient then modal dialog in the center of screen with text like "WARNING! You can't do anything until you close me!" :-)
Floyd

Post by Floyd »

mikedep333 wrote:
Floyd wrote:i would like to see wesnoth online (www.wesnoth.org) and galaxy mage (www.galaxymage.org) be pre-packaged in with reactOS. they're awesome games.
Large and multiple games will be something for the distros. The base ReactOS is intended to have about the amount of stuff as Windows itself.
i hope they don't have distros, quite honestly.
Mrkaras

Post by Mrkaras »

Floyd wrote: i hope they don't have distros, quite honestly.
I'll second that, though i'm sure somebody will oneday
Last edited by Mrkaras on Sun Jan 29, 2006 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
counting_pine

Post by counting_pine »

ReactOS distros wouldn't have the same problem as Linux distros. The difference is, that ReactOS has a definitive standard to follow: Windows. If something that works in Windows doesn't work in ReactOS, then something's wrong.
If in the future there are ReactOS distros, I doubt it will get to the stage where you have to do things like download programs in specific packages, depending on which version of which distro you're using. You'd just download the Windows install program.
ROSRox

Post by ROSRox »

I think It would be cool to implement a whole bunch :) of themes! That would make many people want to get it to make it how they want instead of sticking to Luna or classic designs of Windows. Also, I think that they should have like 5 packages.
Basic = Main ROS files and web support
Gaming = Basic + DirectX or whatever we have to help games run
Office = Basic + Office apps or Open Office
Media = Basic + Media players and codecs
Total = Basic + Gaming + Office + Media + anything else we can throw in without having too many things...

I think it wouldn't be too hard, but then again, I'm just 15. I just want to run this cool game called Tibia.
Floyd

Post by Floyd »

ROSRox wrote:I think It would be cool to implement a whole bunch :) of themes! That would make many people want to get it to make it how they want instead of sticking to Luna or classic designs of Windows. Also, I think that they should have like 5 packages.
Basic = Main ROS files and web support
Gaming = Basic + DirectX or whatever we have to help games run
Office = Basic + Office apps or Open Office
Media = Basic + Media players and codecs
Total = Basic + Gaming + Office + Media + anything else we can throw in without having too many things...

I think it wouldn't be too hard, but then again, I'm just 15. I just want to run this cool game called Tibia.
i think the ideas proposed earlier would be best, that is offer a "fat" download with lots of apps, a "thin" download with the barebones system (both with "package managers"--shudder; linux and it's packages and dependency hell would be horrible on windows) and a "server" download (probably a while after the "client" version is finished).

Tibia looks like a cool game.