Does development continue?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

hannibal

Does development continue?

Post by hannibal »

Since english is not my native language, I think I had some problems understanding the latest news concerning the legal issues about Windows code in ReactOS.
So, the whole project has been put "on ice" until the legal issue is cleared?
Given the chaotic law in the US, this might take ages (and MS has a looong breath...)

Question is: does the project development continue without the dubious code segments, or is ReactOS dying to arise like a pheonix from the ashes in 2010?
temarez

Post by temarez »

As far as I understood, "development" for now means only cleaning up code which is under suspicion. And then we'll see long process of its replacement.

My question is the same - will any development results be available for public in near future (SVN, releases, etc)?
MadRat

Post by MadRat »

For those not involved in the cleanup process nothing precludes you from furthering your progress.
Go Huskers!
reub2000

Post by reub2000 »

MadRat wrote:For those not involved in the cleanup process nothing precludes you from furthering your progress.
Except for not having any access to the subversion repository.
GvG

Post by GvG »

temarez wrote:My question is the same - will any development results be available for public in near future (SVN, releases, etc)?
The plan is to begin transporting obviously clean code (stuff like our build system, the FreeType code, etc.) to a new repository (or make a branch in the current repository, we're still figuring out the technical details). Everyone will have access to this audited repo. Then we can start auditing the rest of the stuff and move it over to the audited repo when it's cleared.
It will take time before you will be able to build a useable CD again from the audited repo. Some manpower is no longer available, and the whole affair hasn't been exactly a morale booster, so it's quite possible that some of the developers will spend less time on the project.
I find it difficult to make a prediction on when e.g. a useable CD might be available again, but it's certainly not a matter of days or weeks, it's going to take longer than that.
cmoibenlepro

Post by cmoibenlepro »

The news section wrote:One final note, this audit of the code is going to take a long time.
It could take years
Do you really think that reactos development will be put "on ice" for years? :!: :?:

I was very interested in reactos project, tested all versions since 0.2.5 and some svn recently, I followed what happened to the mailing list and forums, and I posted my french translations patches to bugzilla...

But if this project is "closed" for years, I will leave.

So could you confirm this information please?
Ged
Developer

Post by Ged »

cmoibenlepro wrote: Do you really think that reactos development will be put "on ice" for years? :!: :?:
It will take years to rewrite all the code, but it won't be years until a new bootcd is available. It will just be missing some of the core functionality of the old bootcd.

Some of it we can probably do without. Our kernel was pretty advanced, as long as the essential parts are replaced, we can hopefully get by whilst the rest is re-implemented.
GaeTaN

Post by GaeTaN »

I'm not sure if I understand, but you're talking as if there were VERY big part of "Windows code" :?
I mean, isn't it easier to go through all the source files and to remove that code ?
Going through all the sources would take a bit of time, but not years ;)
I guess it's not that hard to figure out if it's "stolen" code or not (just need to check the ASM code, no ?)
cmoibenlepro

Post by cmoibenlepro »

Another question:
How many developers leaved because of this problem?

I learned that Harmut and waxdragon leaved before, and w3seek also leaved today because he could not contribute anymore since it's too much work to rewrite everything...
Does anybody else leaved?

Because if half the devs leaved and the other half can't code because of the new policy, ReactOS would not go much further... :(
Ged
Developer

Post by Ged »

GaeTaN wrote:I'm not sure if I understand, but you're talking as if there were VERY big part of "Windows code" :?
I mean, isn't it easier to go through all the source files and to remove that code ?
Going through all the sources would take a bit of time, but not years ;)
I guess it's not that hard to figure out if it's "stolen" code or not (just need to check the ASM code, no ?)
There is a lot of code being removed. It's not due to it being Windows code, it isn't, but it is considered tainted under the new stringent IP policy

Going through all the source is what we are doing, but a lot of ReactOS will have been deleted when we have finished. Replacing all that code will take years, but it won't stop development :)
yeager1977

Post by yeager1977 »

There are other developers aren't there? Yes it may take longer, but lets not give up. Hell I'm just starting!!!! I don't want to quit before I start. Lets figure out what needs to be redone, and then lets just fix it and move on. The sooner I get fuly away from MS the better!
GaeTaN

Post by GaeTaN »

ged wrote:it is considered tainted under the new stringent IP policy
:shock:
Well, anyway it's strange to realise that you now have to remove a lot of code, even without relation with the windows code... I mean, what's the problem with the code ?
I'm quite disappointed that all the work i've followed since quite a long time now is just going to get down for a long time...
Stead

Post by Stead »

the only thing i don't understand is, if microsoft hasn't said anything thus far, why are there such dramatic changes?

i can understand why a lot of developers left, if it was me i would of left, i don't like to sound negative, and i'm not sure if i should be posting this, but if it was me, i would of said forget it, from my point of view it seems like a whole lot of wasted time, which is a shame because this is a wonderful project and has gotten so far!

i wonder if microsoft were to go thru the code, if they would find identical code? and if they didn't, would any changes need to be made? :P they certainly have more manpower...i'm curious to if anyone has contacted microsoft about this project, someone i microsoft obviously knows about it, i'm sure i've even seen it mentioned in ms articles before, but i haven't seen anyway saying they disaprove of it?

*confused supporter in distress!*
jimtabor
Developer

Post by jimtabor »

The project has taken a big hit. ReactOS will not recover soon enough to be a product of any kind. If this takes years to redo from scrach, I would say Redmond won. Even if it would take a year the project is over. I'm sure by then a fork will accure. No one is going to wait a year to run mozilla again and have bugs out of the yack. This could have been done with out all this noise. I'm sure of it. But after looking back on what happened, I've should have spoke up sooner. Was it orchetrated, we will know soon enough.
Take care,
James
Mrkaras

Post by Mrkaras »

Just think, several years ago window was much the same (just as well developed) and reactos was barly a command line. Although reactos has taken a big hit it won't be back all the way to the start and if it got this far once why can't it do it again?