ReactOS containing Windows code?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

menn

Post by menn »

the following intended as polite commentary-

it may not seem to be, hence the disclaimer.

this is a really stupid thread.

none of this thread should be taken seriously- what should be taken seriously is the professional policy which reactos conforms to- which covers more than copyright issues and indeed this issue- and which was handled by knowledgable professionals, vs. (as near and Dear as conspiracy theorists are to me) well... vs the people in this thread.

seriously, find something more practical to worry about, like whether ros will actually work on machine X or not. if there is a real legal problem, they will fix it like everyone else does. this is just he-said-she-said boy found with bat ears born weighing over 300lbs! page 27! nonsense, no matter whom was involved.
FOSS="MY Computer"
drm="NOT My Computer" http://eff.org
mikedep333

Post by mikedep333 »

I know that no assembly stealing has actually been proven, and that many people are blowing this out of proportion on the forums, but exactly what people have left the project or suspended working on the project because of this?
Ged
Developer

Post by Ged »

mikedep333 wrote:I know that no assembly stealing has actually been proven, and that many people are blowing this out of proportion on the forums, but exactly what people have left the project or suspended working on the project because of this?
Pretty much all work has been halted until this can be resolved.
cmoibenlepro

Post by cmoibenlepro »

Pretty much all work has been halted until this can be resolved.
Do you think it will re-start again soon?

There is no more discussion about that on the mailing list (I suppose that you want to resolve it privately...)
But could you keep us in touch with what are the developments of this affair?
Mrkaras

Post by Mrkaras »

Glad to see it is being resolved (news and anouncement on home page)

on a less serious note,
should the developer quote:
"if the code is broken though, you free to call it ur own"
now read:
"if the code is stolen though, you free to call it ur own"
:lol:

(Just joking, i have no reason to think this developer was or was not involved)
forart

Post by forart »

...Windows is open sourced now, so where's the problem ?

Seriously, just clean the code and go on.

note: i wasn't a Windows nor Linux fan ever, so i posted an interesting (smoked) idea on OSNews.com
Why not move to OS/2 ?
Wanna remember all of you that today Windows comes from NT that was something like a "backdoor into IBM's a$$".
Many petitions (mine too) and a little little baby: os3ree (www.osfree.org)

Microsoft has just released their code, so ReactOS goal sounds like "reinventing the weel" now.

If i remember well, IBM can't relese 'some parts of the code' so: why don't we 'revive the phoenix' ?

(I think that IBM would be proud to 'open a backdoor' into a MicroSoft "world"...)
»Forward Agency NPO
In progress we (always) trust.
temarez

Post by temarez »

Microsoft has just released their code, so ReactOS goal sounds like "reinventing the weel" now.
[ external image ] Microsoft had never released their sources in full understanding of term "releasing sources". Even if some code will be available it is useless anyway. Especially for ReactOS: MS will never give permissions for everyone to look at complete Windows source and of course will not give rights to use this code in any independent project.

What do you expect? GPL-ed sources from Microsoft?

IMHO this "releasing" is like showing [ external image ] to the rest of the world.
cmoibenlepro

Post by cmoibenlepro »

Also microsoft didn't release that code freely, you need to pay a license to use it.
menn

Post by menn »

clearly, i spoke too soon.
of course, i stand by like 85% of what i said before...
FOSS="MY Computer"
drm="NOT My Computer" http://eff.org
w3seek
Developer

Post by w3seek »

ThePhysicist wrote:Two German (w3seek gone? wiki says so) and an Italian developer have suddenly gone without much words about it. i have a really bad feeling about that, but I hope I will be corrected by someone.
Speaking for myself I would probably still be active if I had my personal life in control better. As I publicly commented the recent events are not the primary reason for me to leave, they're just one factor of many others. I never said I'd be gone forever, I may return some day, maybe at the end of the year. Or I may contribute once in a while, but most likely not anytime soon.