Live image is infected?

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

Post Reply
bobn9lvu
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:04 pm

Live image is infected?

Post by bobn9lvu » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:10 pm

Is the live image infected? As upon download Kaperski reports it has a virus.

mrmajik45
Posts: 343
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:21 am
Location: USA, Indiana
Contact:

Re: Live image is infected?

Post by mrmajik45 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:16 pm

No, it doesn't have a virus on it. Kapersky is always over its head.
ReactOS Donator ~ $5.00 | Linux Mint Donator ~ $1.00 in BTC

dizt3mp3r
Posts: 1450
Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:54 pm

Re: Live image is infected?

Post by dizt3mp3r » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:24 pm

Use virus total to help determine whether a specific file is being reported as a false positive. It is a useful online tool that compares the file with 30 or more of the main a/v packages. When you are convinced that a file is safe then report it back to the specific a/v vendor as a false positive.

Fraizeraust
Posts: 228
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:46 am
Location: Italy
Contact:

Re: Live image is infected?

Post by Fraizeraust » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:40 pm

The infection which Kaspersky (and most likely any antivirus software) has detected is a false positive.

The plausible cause (wild guess) for antiviruses detecting ReactOS as a rogue malware is because of Dr.Watson implementation by Jansen which collects some debugging information when an application crashes and bundles them in a dump crash file.

So, don't panic. ReactOS' contents and everything are safe, sometimes antiviruses can screw up things.

EmuandCo
Developer
Posts: 4334
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2004 7:52 pm
Location: Germany, Bavaria, Steinfeld
Contact:

Re: Live image is infected?

Post by EmuandCo » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:38 pm

Anti Virus apps are bullshit. All of em. New Viruses are not detected and detecting old ones is useless. Only thing they cause is money for em and us administrators for fixing crap they cause on Windows networks.
Image
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

Wol
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:24 am

Re: Live image is infected?

Post by Wol » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:34 am

I too found that when I downloaded the live installation Chrome blocked it when it finished downloading: "reactOS-0.4.8-live.zip is dangerous so Chrome has blocked it."

I think I downloaded from reactos.NET - not .ORG: is that site a legitimate reactOS webpage?

oldman
Posts: 1072
Joined: Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:23 pm

Re: Live image is infected?

Post by oldman » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:53 am

Wol wrote:I too found that when I downloaded the live installation Chrome blocked it when it finished downloading: "reactOS-0.4.8-live.zip is dangerous so Chrome has blocked it."
I think I downloaded from reactos.NET - not .ORG: is that site a legitimate reactOS webpage?
Use https://www.reactos.org/getbuilds/ to get your ISO images and you should not have any problems (they are safe).
Please keep the Windows classic (9x/2000) look and feel.
The layman's guides to - debugging - bug reporting - compiling - with some complementary scripts.
They may help you with a problem, so do have a look at them.

Wol
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:24 am

Re: Live image is infected?

Post by Wol » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:14 pm

oldman wrote:
Wol wrote:I too found that when I downloaded the live installation Chrome blocked it when it finished downloading: "reactOS-0.4.8-live.zip is dangerous so Chrome has blocked it."
I think I downloaded from reactos.NET - not .ORG: is that site a legitimate reactOS webpage?
Use https://www.reactos.org/getbuilds/ to get your ISO images and you should not have any problems (they are safe).
Yes, but IS the .net site genuine? In other words, is it a real ReactOS site or a false one?

binarymaster
Posts: 285
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:05 pm
Location: Russia, Moscow
Contact:

Re: Live image is infected?

Post by binarymaster » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:41 pm

Wol wrote:Yes, but IS the .net site genuine? In other words, is it a real ReactOS site or a false one?
IP Addresses are same for each domain:

Code: Select all

> reactos.org
Server:  google-public-dns-b.google.com
Address:  8.8.4.4

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    reactos.org
Addresses:  2a01:4f8:141:446b::1:10
          178.63.204.104

> reactos.com
Server:  google-public-dns-b.google.com
Address:  8.8.4.4

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    reactos.com
Addresses:  2a01:4f8:141:446b::1:10
          178.63.204.104

> reactos.net
Server:  google-public-dns-b.google.com
Address:  8.8.4.4

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    reactos.net
Addresses:  2a01:4f8:141:446b::1:10
          178.63.204.104

Wol
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:24 am

Re: Live image is infected?

Post by Wol » Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:35 am

Thank you. From that I assume the .net site is yours as well as the .org. Forgive me for being pedantic, but I am rather paranoid about internet security, not up to geeky standards and did wonder if it was a spoof site that mimicked ReactOS in order to allow malware downloads.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Ahrefs [Bot] and 2 guests