A question about Community Changelogs

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

ctasan

A question about Community Changelogs

Post by ctasan »

I posted this under the 0.4.7 changelog, but it went unnoticed. So, I'm asking again:

Should we highlight some improvements in the changelog? This should be highly useful for readers or sites like Phoronix.

If you agree, please write improvements that most important for you, under 0.4.7 changelog.
ReactOS Community Changelogs | Admin of ReactOS Official Twitter Account | Admin of ReactOS Turkish Twitter Account @reactos_tr
gonzoMD

Re: A question about Community Changelogs

Post by gonzoMD »

I'd like that. which changes will be highlighted could either be a decision of the release engineer or voted for at the meeting.
ctasan

Post by ctasan »

gonzoMD wrote:I'd like that. which changes will be highlighted could either be a decision of the release engineer or voted for at the meeting.
I think this decision should be made by Community, with a wide spectrum of comments. Release engineer already defines the highlights in the official release.
ReactOS Community Changelogs | Admin of ReactOS Official Twitter Account | Admin of ReactOS Turkish Twitter Account @reactos_tr
milon

Post by milon »

^ I'm concerned that would make the Community Changelog thread really difficult to read, with comments/votes/arguing about what should be highlighted. I'm not against highlighting the good stuff, but I don't know how to do it well.
ctasan

Post by ctasan »

Good point, nevertheless, the first post is the most important one.
Posts for voting can be written with a distinct style. (e.g color, bold/italic/underline...) We don't have another option; it's not a poll or test, it's an open-ended question.
ROCKNROLLKID

Post by ROCKNROLLKID »

Just my opinion, but seems like a lot of work just to write a change log. ReactOS has more important issues now. I say leave it as it is. After all no one has complained about it, so why fix something that isn't broken.
ctasan

Post by ctasan »

My question is about marketing.
We have no issues about Community Changelog. :) Nevertheless, we can improve it.
Especially, Phoronix heavily uses it. We can highlight important improvements and divert the attention to right place.
However, this is a joint work, so we should decide together, what's important. I could also do this alone, but that's not right.
middings

Post by middings »

ctasan, you have done the work on the Community Changelogs. It is your project. I suggest that you pick out the changes that you believe are the most significant and summarize them. Show your first draft here if you wish others in the ReactOS community to make suggestions. Revise it as you judge appropriate. Then show your summary to the developer team. Ask them to suggest changes or additions. I expect that the devs will be pleased that you have done most of the work. They will probably appreciate that they do not have to review the raw list of all the changes themselves. Most readers of the Community Changelogs are non-devs. You know which improvements non-devs will consider the most interesting and exciting, so trust your own ability to make a summary.

(This is my own thought. I am not one of the developers.)
ctasan

Post by ctasan »

You're right. I can also do this myself and pick your votes. However, this doesn't seem as the right way. I want to see your comments first.
Anyway, if no comment appears, I'll have to do it.
middings

Post by middings »

ctasan, I think that if you start by posting a rough draft in a new forum topic then ask for suggestions from the forum community, you will receive higher quality suggestions. Even a short list of the four or five most significant user-noticeable changes will probably start the conversation well.
ctasan

Post by ctasan »

Okay, so be it. I prefer to start here to avoid pollution. Here is the first draft:

-Improvements in kernel, especially Common Cache and Memory Manager. This improves stability, reduces corruptions and makes progress for booting from ext2.
-Many x64 fixes are made, x64 boot is still work in progress.
-Many issues are fixed with CJK fonts.
-Some problems with initializing game engines are fixed.
-Brought in USB 1.0 and storage driver (not yet fully enabled). USB 1.1/2.0 and others are work-in-progress.
-Brought in new CDFS driver, virtual CD/floppy drivers.
-Major fixes for FAT32 driver and improved NTFS driver.
-Fixed crashes with floppy driver. Further work are made on various drivers.
-Fixed some crashes in OpenGL.
-Improved SxS assembly. Beginnings of NT6+ application support, lots of work is still needed.
-Balloon notifications, improved relative path handling, shell autocomplete is implemented in the shell. Fixed various functionality.
-Many fixes are done for theming.
-Replaced and enabled DXTn. This will bring lots of improvements.
-Many improvements in the utilites. An user-mode crash dumper is implemented.
-User-mode DLLs are synced with Wine 3.0 along with usual syncs.
ThFabba
Developer

Post by ThFabba »

ctasan wrote:-Brought in USB 1.0 and storage driver (not yet fully enabled). USB 1.1/2.0 and others are work-in-progress.
I see you already put the "not yet fully enabled" in there to lower expectations -- but even that is an exaggeration. The new driver stack is completely inactive and its presence in git has no effect. It is not even built by default.
Also, for future reference, USB 1.0 is not really a thing. All current hardware implements at least USB 1.1. So of course we don't have a USB 1.0 driver ;) (UHCI and OHCI are simply competing standards for USB 1.1 controllers)
ctasan wrote:-Replaced and enabled DXTn. This will bring lots of improvements.
I think 0.4.8 will be missing DXTn support due to https://jira.reactos.org/browse/CORE-14325
ctasan

Post by ctasan »

ThFabba wrote:
ctasan wrote:-Brought in USB 1.0 and storage driver (not yet fully enabled). USB 1.1/2.0 and others are work-in-progress.
I see you already put the "not yet fully enabled" in there to lower expectations -- but even that is an exaggeration. The new driver stack is completely inactive and its presence in git has no effect. It is not even built by default.
Also, for future reference, USB 1.0 is not really a thing. All current hardware implements at least USB 1.1. So of course we don't have a USB 1.0 driver ;) (UHCI and OHCI are simply competing standards for USB 1.1 controllers)
ctasan wrote:-Replaced and enabled DXTn. This will bring lots of improvements.
I think 0.4.8 will be missing DXTn support due to https://jira.reactos.org/browse/CORE-14325
Updated according to your feedback.
middings

Post by middings »

I like your list, ctasan. I have nothing to add.