Home page feedback / comments

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Stilez

Home page feedback / comments

Post by Stilez »

Having heard about ReactOS just today, it's definitely interesting; I have some feedback on the website/FAQ/readily found information. This might improve the website for others who might discover the project.

On the main page, as usual, I started looking for a summary of the "under the hood" (USA)/"under the bonnet" (UK) information. Not much, but an FAQ or something with the key info that would interest the kind of person likely to want to take up ROS. This is what I found: Nothing.

Perhaps that can be improved by adding a "learn" item to the home page menu? So I've added below, the kinds of answers I would most want to find easily, and which I'd expect to find under FAQ or under a "Learn more" / "Technical FAQ" menu item on the home page. I'm sure most are answered in the forums, but a person newly interested in ROS will often turn away and not dig answers like these out, if they aren't easy to find.
  • State of development / roadmap: What state of development is it at? "Alpha" doesn't really help to get an idea. For example, what's the roadmap, and how advanced is work on it or major things to be done? Is there a roadmap / achievements / stuff to do page (possibly JIRA but perhaps a wiki page or changelog) that's updated from time to time, that I can come back to periodically?
  • Design / codebase: What's the engine behind the statement "from scratch"? I'm pretty sure nobody recoded HDD drivers, an entire kernel, NET, SMB, X or other windowing system, or similar so I'm guessing it's well known FOSS components held together with glue - but which kinds of are area are being coded by the project and what sort of subsystems are being deployed from other projects? Presumably it's based on some well-known variant of FOSS kernel (Linux? BSD?) and other FOSS projects but just saying "it's not Linux" doesn't hack it for telling me what it actually *is*, and in simple terms how it differs from just being a custom Linux/BSD build with Wine and a Windows styled GUI (or whatever).....
  • Performance (even in alpha): Where can I find some sense of performance metrics or testing stats/expectations (even in alpha)? I don't want to adopt it if it's going to be 10x slower for even basics. I'm sure it isn't, but there should be some kind of way to see performance as a desktop by comparison.
  • Software compatibility (Windows architectures/versions): What is the position/aim with compatibility? For example, x86 vs. x64, or XP/Vista/7/8/10? Can it run software for all these (even though latest Windows often can't run older stuff), or is it narrowed down to specific compatibility?
  • Software compatibility (well known "problem software"):Are there any widely used and "well known major compatibility issues" that are hard to overcome and shouldn't be counted on for a long time? For example Wine has long-standing difficulty with some of the MS Office software, and if Wine or similar is being used then presumably the compatibility lists could be checked up on whatever project is involved. Where should a user look for a heads-up on application compatibility info, if some software matters especially to them?
  • Software compatibility (low level applications): What about system and what one might call low level software, that probably needs access to low level API compatibility? For example, disk imaging software (used for system backups), remote desktop, VMWare workstation and other hypervisors for Windows, anti-malware (if needed)? Does the way that ROS is designed mean they should work when it's released?
  • Users with a specific focus (gamers and sysadmins): These two specific groups of users come to mind as having a less certain ability to use ROS. Is ROS likely to be "desktop only" (seems likely) or to what extent is it likely that a Windows Server user could reasonably hope to escape Microsoft as well? Is it likely that there will be some ability to run ROS in different modes or with different sets of tunings, for example to bias it towards better performance for desktop / 3D graphics / file server+sharing? (This would be very beneficial and helpful to users, I suspect). What about the position for gamers?
  • Antimalware? Even on *nix these days, it's advisable to have antivirus/antimalware software. Will users be able to use their Windows antimalware software, or if not, will they be able to find a reputable and appropriate open-source anti-malware package that will run on ROS, when released? (As an aside, if a default is actually built in to the builds, and simply needs enabling/disabling, that would probably be seen as a big "plus" for simplicity as antimalware is a major area where software can cause collateral problems - integrated might ensure fewer issues.)
  • Wiki and similar links: The forum mentions a wiki but I didn't get that info from the FAQ and it wasn't linked on any home menu I saw. It might be better to change the "Forum" menu item to "Support", and add "forum" "wiki" and "learn more" (or "technical faq") under it. That would be much easier to navigate.
If anyone does want to answer any of these I'd appreciate it, but that's not really why I'm posting this thread. Even if not, I do strongly suggest this info should be easy to find on the home page. Many of ROS's most likely users will be people who have an understanding + familiarity with FOSS to jump boat to ROS, and those are exactly the kinds of people who will look for this sort of info to inform them about the project. Wonderful sounding statements without an equally easy way to find this kind of further info for the real info behind them, won't really be helpful.
learn_more
Developer

Re: Home page feedback / comments

Post by learn_more »

Stilez wrote:
  • State of development / roadmap: What state of development is it at? "Alpha" doesn't really help to get an idea. For example, what's the roadmap, and how advanced is work on it or major things to be done? Is there a roadmap / achievements / stuff to do page (possibly JIRA but perhaps a wiki page or changelog) that's updated from time to time, that I can come back to periodically?
  • Design / codebase: What's the engine behind the statement "from scratch"? I'm pretty sure nobody recoded HDD drivers, an entire kernel, NET, SMB, X or other windowing system, or similar so I'm guessing it's well known FOSS components held together with glue - but which kinds of are area are being coded by the project and what sort of subsystems are being deployed from other projects? Presumably it's based on some well-known variant of FOSS kernel (Linux? BSD?) and other FOSS projects but just saying "it's not Linux" doesn't hack it for telling me what it actually *is*, and in simple terms how it differs from just being a custom Linux/BSD build with Wine and a Windows styled GUI (or whatever).....
both these have been answered so many times it's not even fun anymore.
cernodile

Post by cernodile »

learn_more wrote:
Stilez wrote:
both these have been answered so many times it's not even fun anymore.
I understand it can be very frustrating, but OP pointed out these should be more easily accessible via some kind of "Technical FAQ/Learn More (heh)" on Main Page, so I can see where he or she is coming from. I think OP has given some solid advice to the web team and should actually be considered.
Last edited by cernodile on Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My working rigs:
Dell Latitude E5430 on 0.4.9-vgal - i5-3340M, USB boot.
Partially working rigs:
Ryzen 7 3700X on B450 board - 0.4.14 boot via preinstall. USB broken.
[ external image ]
Stilez

Post by Stilez »

learn_more wrote:both these have been answered so many times it's not even fun anymore.
But not where a new arrive who heard of ROS can find them easily.

I hope you can understand that my post (like I said) is not because I need an answer and can't use the search buton. It's because these are basics that anyone arriving on the project home page should be able to find in seconds if they want, in an FAQ or "learn more" link. But they can't.

Instead of telling me that they have been answered many times, which suggests that you are fed up of apparently pointless re-asks, it's worth flipping your own comment around. Why have they been answered "so many times it's not even fun"? Because over time, many arrivers have felt they needed to. Which kind of underlines my observation. It sounds almost as if people who show interest in ROS are an unwelcome annoyance not a welcome sight. If the latter, then show them some respect too, by seeing the repeat asking by independent arrivers as a sign that the home page isn't doing its job well for many people around the issues you mention. Then remember the old sales adage about for every one who complains (asks on a forum) 20 went away without furthering their involvement and didn't tell you the site was lacking basics they looked for, to decide whether it engaged them. It's for you to engage them, if you want.

Anyhow, I didn't post to berate, but to try and suggest ways to really improve the home page of this faqntastic project. Please take it that way, and as my way of contributing, instead of seeing it as "people asking the same old stuff again". if they do, there's probably a reason related to "not being explained/communicated" lurking in the background.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Stilez - you are absolutely right with a lot of what you say and don't let the trollers bite!

The website is incomplete in several important respects and is in fact, too professional, inadvertently leading newcomers to believe ReactOS is feature complete and ready for use. This has been mentioned several times, has been raised as a bug report and has been ignored.

The site and the software are developed by people, like you and me, those that give their time for free. If they want to change something, they will, if they don't want to, they won't. That's the situation with regard to the website. Responsibility for the site has been given to a particular someone and the moment he is not responsive to queries to change it.

Keep raising them and don't be browbeaten by others here, there are always people with alternate views they aren't always correct.

Your feedback is appreciated.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
val

Post by val »

Of course "appreciated". The dude failed to even get (despite it's written clearly many frigging times on the site) that this is NT OS, really written from scratch, not being based on any NUXI-clone nor using X etc. he is "pretty sure" it is "presumably" a wrap around crappux or bsd... But he already knows what should be renamed and added...
Wiki and similar links: The forum mentions a wiki but I didn't get that info from the FAQ and it wasn't linked on any home menu I saw. It might be better to change the "Forum" menu item to "Support", and add "forum" "wiki" and "learn more" (or "technical faq") under it. That would be much easier to navigate.
let me show you. This is the very top of the very main site page. No huge blinking font though.
[ external image ]

next time try harder to look for, read and learn. Instead ofbeing hasty to teach others. Just to not turn yourself into a laughingstock.
Stilez

Post by Stilez »

val wrote:next time try harder to look for, read and learn. Instead ofbeing hasty to teach others. Just to not turn yourself into a laughingstock.
It's true about the wiki. I grant you that one - just barely and on a technicality. It's not in the menus, it's not in the main body of the page, it's in small font right out at the margins - and even dimmed grey. But yes, technically, a link exists, I concede.

Now flip it around. Assume I'm not completely incapable. After all, I contribute code as you and others here do, on other FOSS/github projects, and contribute information and docs on others. I'm used to digging for info. Yet I *still* missed that link. So enjoy the laugh, I'll share with you. But do think about it - are you *really* sure it's helpfully presented for visitors to notice and find? Are you sure that other people with a track record of active FOSS contribution weren't turned away by something as meaningless as poor home page info and snarky forum answers? Obviously not.

You can laugh as visitors leave because it's all their fault and they're clueless... the project gains nothing, nor do the visitors... or maybe recognise that this actually is lose-lose and that if visitors found the things they ask most about, more easily, everyone wins - including the ROS project. But that means looking at it in terms of "how could we have helped to reduce the chance that person didn't easily find what they needed here?" It's honestly worth it.

As for the rest I'm not asking for myself. I've got no investment in whether I'm laughed or not. I offer good advice, because I like this project's goals a lot and feel it's a way to make a good and quick contribution. I'm picking out and letting you know the key info I was looking up, that was looked for most but not plainly found from the home page. I simply say, you are losing and will lose interested traffic which could be gained by mildly improving the home page. What you do with that, val - laugh or not - is your choice. I didn't look up the rest of the info because frankly, I like a technical answer and I didn't have the time today for that kind of digging. But if you improve the home page info, someone else might come by and stay next time - and the number of people asking will plummet which won't hurt as well.
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

Roadmap -- There really is no roadmap. The reason is that all the developers are mostly volunteers and each have their sets of skills. So those two elements mean that we cannot impose on them to work on certain things. On the volunteer part, if the demand is great and there are people willing to pay to make something a priority and a developer with the skills wants to take it up, then a contract can be offered. But on the skill end, we have to take what we can get. It would not work if someone who only knows about sound or the GUI were told they needed to work on the kernel or filesystem. So they'd either work according to their abilities or specialties or not help at all.

From Scratch -- This means in terms of a complete OS and in terms of it being a custom Windows kernel. No commercial components are used or included in ROS. We didn't retool Linux or use ANY existing Windows components that come from Windows. It IS Windows in that sense, just not from Microsoft. The kernel is indeed from scratch and comes from no existing code. It is NOT Linux in ANY way, shape, or form. Yes, we use Wine, but mostly only the parts that can run under Windows. What we use of Wine is tightly integrated like it is a collection of Windows components, and not like the standalone Wine that can work on Linux. The few parts used that were not Windows compatible already have been modified to natively provide or obtain from Windows API calls that Wine gets from Linux. So we only use of Wine what already supports Windows or can be modified to remove any Linux dependencies.

We didn't code all the code we use, but those we borrowed from under the open source licensing terms did code their parts from scratch. They didn't disassemble anything nor use anyone's code without permission. All of our drivers are from scratch or other cooperating open source projects. Alter is not part of the ROS team to my knowledge, but he gladly lets us use his driver, and he does communicate with the team, accept suggestions, and support his driver. Similar goes with Wine. Much of Reactos comes from Wine, and Wine was not built off of anything else. As for drivers, you would add your own that come from the manufacturer. There are basic and default drivers. For instance, the default graphics driver is original code, and it works a bit better, IMHO, than the default one under Windows. Ours looks for VESA support and will provide 256 colors by default. Windows defaults to 16.

And we support native Windows drivers. So we cannot be or use any form of Linux and still do that. Linux has user mode video drivers, but Windows and ReactOS use kernel mode video drivers.

Performance -- The best way to discover that is try it out, though there are many user videos on YouTube (though try to watch more recent ones). Why should we keep up with that now? I mean, we keep adding to it, so performance will decline as it becomes more usable, and may speed back up some as it matures and later optimizations are applied. Some things are slower than Windows, but that is not a fair comparison since most test ROS using basic drivers. Windows is also slow out of the box until you install more appropriate drivers. Right now, ROS only uses a single core and ignores others. When we overcome that limitation, it should be quite fast. Still, some say it acts more robust than Windows despite using just a single core for now. And for a lot of common tasks, ROS is faster. However, stuff that depends on DirectX and OpenGL are a bit slow, because our ReactX is just a wrapper for OpenGL and HW acceleration is not applied if I remember correctly. So games will currently run slower than on Windows. However, once the support for 3rd party drivers is improved, the drivers should provide their own DirectX, OpenGL support.

Compatibility -- It is currently x86, though x64 is in the works too. It is just easier to concentrate on a single architecture. As for version target, it is currently Windows 2003 Server, just past XP. Some things past that *might* run, but only because the Wine components need newer APIs and it was easier to provide them than to recode the components and keep fighting to do so each time a Winesync is done. However, don't count on ReactOS being able to run everything Wine can. ROS only reports 2003 Server (and currently just older when compatibility options are used). Our implementation of Wine uses immature Windows-like kernel code underneath, not mature Linux code. And we have some issues with the MS Office suites, but not the same issues as Wine. And we do have compatibility lists.

As for calling APIs in ROS, just call the ones available to Windows 2003 Servers. Like we keep saying, it is not Linux nor uses Linux components. So there are no Linux APIs to call.

Gamers and Specialty Users -- A lot of gamers will currently be disappointed due to graphics and sound driver issues, and also due to only supporting a single core for now. But other gamers (games not graphics or sound heavy) will be pleased. You'd just have to test and see.

Interestingly, we had some musicians ask to port some of our files to x64 since they provided better performance. They said that helped with a bottleneck under Windows 8 or whatever.

Support for sysadmins is coming. This is the server version.

Malware and Removal -- Yes, ROS seems to be able to support some of the Windows compatible viruses. If an AV program will run under 2003, it will run on ROS. We might need to use forward compatibility shims if newer software is needed, or wait until we make Vista/7 a compatibility target. It seems there are no plans for integrated anti-malware solutions. We might have our own firewall eventually.
Last edited by PurpleGurl on Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
middings

Post by middings »

Stilez wrote:I have some feedback on the website/FAQ/readily found information. ...

On the main page, as usual, I started looking for a summary... (or) FAQ or something with the key info that would interest the kind of person likely to want to take up ROS. This is what I found: Nothing.
Go back to the ReactOS.org page. Near the top of the page there is a row of headings. Choose "Discover more!" A drop-down list will appear. Three FAQs are in that list, one each for the topics "Following!", "Testing!", and "Developing!"

There is also a legacy FAQ in the ReactOS Wiki. You can reach that by choosing the "> Wiki" link on the uppermost portion of the page.

Yet another legacy FAQ exists in the ReactOS Wiki at https://www.reactos.org/wiki/FAQ. It appears to have become a stranded page in the Wiki. I suspect this FAQ was intended to be superseded by one or more of the other ReactOS FAQs.
The Wikipedia article Software Release Life Cycle has a useful definition of "Alpha" software.

ReactOS is able to boot on much hardware designed to support Microsoft Windows, especially if that hardware supports Windows XP or Server 2003 (the current compatibility target). However, ReactOS is not yet stable and feature-complete. At this time the major shortcomings of ReactOS that users notice the effects of are:
  • crude memory management
  • only a single processor is used
  • installation of third-party drivers is unreliable
  • USB support is incomplete and unstable
  • installation is only possible on a FAT32 formatted drive
  • files cannot be written to NTFS drives, they can only be read.
At this phase of development, ReactOS could cause crashes or data loss; therefore ReactOS is only suitable for evaluation, experimentation, and testing, it is not recommended for production use.

There were roadmaps in the past but they have largely been abandoned as project management and publicity tools. Volunteers cannot be commanded by someone drawing up a roadmap then expecting others to "make it so". As Linus Torvalds has been known to say, "Talk is cheap. Show me the code."
  • Design / codebase: What's the engine behind the statement "from scratch"? I'm pretty sure nobody recoded HDD drivers, an entire kernel, NET, SMB, X or other windowing system...
Yes, there have been many somebodies over the years who have re-coded Microsoft Windows functionality. The phrase "from scratch" is intended to indicate that ReactOS is not a bunch of Linux or BSD pieces or other "well known FOSS components held together with glue" artfully arranged then coerced to look Windows-like. Some pieces of other FOSS projects are used in ReactOS, but should one peel away the outer layers of ReactOS, one will not find a Linux kernel underneath. The heart of ReactOS is a re-implementation of the Microsoft Windows design using clean-room development methods.
  • Software compatibility (Windows architectures/versions): What is the position/aim with compatibility?
The current implementation target is compatibility with Microsoft Server 2003 (32-bit). At present the code runs single-threaded although there are portions written with multi-threading in mind for the future. Rocket scientists have a saying: to build a big rocket that flies, start with a small rocket that flies. The intent of the development team is to achieve a working implementation of the current target first then build it out for multiprocessing, compatibility with newer versions of Microsoft's Windows products, 64-bit addressing (x64), and perhaps porting to other architectures.
Last edited by middings on Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Do I really have to hop in EVERY post these days and tell ppl to be friendly?! Last time before I start with ∞ time holidays! ppl I am talking about KNOW that they are meant here!

@Stilez nice list of feedback. If you want more useful feedback from ppl who are able to change things, you should join IRC or Webmail. Forums are... special as you can see. Most developers left due to obvious reasons and ONLY check for Jira and ML reports (and just recently GIT push patches). With luck you find help on IRC, but not here in dev or website matters.

And if anyone DARES to thread hijack now, he can delete himself before doing so! Would be easier and faster for him and me but with the same results in the end! (YES, good mood that morning!)
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
florian

Post by florian »

We dislike symptons. Explaining again and yet again about beeing alpha for instance. And like the dimmed grey link in a small font to our Wiki, it's true, there's a hint of beeing alpha ("They're talking about ReactOS 0.4.7 (even if we're just Alpha)"). But let's be honest: Who knows its definition? Not my parents, not my brother, not his children. Go ahead and ask you're girlfriend...

Unfortunately, we like to ignore the root of all evil. Not all, of course:
dizt3mp3r wrote:Stilez - you are absolutely right with a lot of what you say [...]!

The website is incomplete in several important respects and is in fact, too professional, inadvertently leading newcomers to believe ReactOS is feature complete and ready for use. This has been mentioned several times, has been raised as a bug report and has been ignored. [...]
Thus thanks for your hints. And especially for contributing code!
And please follow EmuandCo's briefing.
Stilez

Post by Stilez »

I'm just awed at the audacity of it. And I love it.

As feedback, possibly the most useful of the informational comments was the bit by middings (also mentioned by PurpleGurl) about single threadedness. That sentence gave me a very helpful insight, because in one sentence it captures enough to suggest scope, developmental approach, and what is realistic/actual vs hoped for. It gave a good sense of the entire project in a way, by focusing on just that one small aspect - thank you! Also thank you to cernodile, dizt3mp3r, purplegurl, middings, EmuandCo and florian (in order of their posts) for the courtesy and welcome.

To the two who didn't act courteously - take this away for future: the last half of this thread has been an example of how open source devs need to treat visitors, if they want their projects to go anywhere more than tiny groups and eventual drama-related failure. Most here got it. They set a good example. But I'd like to skip past the initial posts and just express awe at the work being done here, whoever by, and whatever manner it's done in. I love this project already! Hopefully if I've contributed anything in this post it's a reminder that projects like ReactOS thrive or fade on their community engagement, and a reminder that this at least doesn't need 10 years of future coding to be necessary ;-)
val

Post by val »

:lol:
Emu, you can ban me forever, the forum is nothing but a waste of time. But before, let me tell you something. Your style of moderation is moderation in a "brain dead" mode, :lol: when you recently banned purplegirl, because of her opinion on that equality thing, when she didn't say absolutely anything contraversial and out of rules, and you started whining about you are bavarian and you are sick of everybody thinks you are a nazi :lol: it was like wow you are a blondie, emu, in the worst stereotypical sense. you and d1zt3mp3r are both worth each other. a hysterical blondie and parrot. and occasionally such useful suggestors like this annoying commander, easy jumping to teach everybody not even bothering to read basics. funny, he keeps teaching. :D This is all one could see here.

you are right in one thing though, ironically, the forum you moderate has turned into anything but the place for the developers. anyone searching for some technical details may even not try to find it here. nor discussions. nothing. only d1zt3mp3r grammar corrections.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

It'll be so nice to see you go Val. Your offerings are caustic and designed to be unhelpful. Something in you is 'wrong'. You like digging others in a not-very-clever way. You don't seem to know how to interact with others on a forum in a non-abrasive manner.

Have the grace to ban yourself, rather than let Emuandco do it. Just leave graciously.

TTFN.

PS. To the forum newbies - we aren't all like Val.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

val wrote::lol:
Emu, you can ban me forever, the forum is nothing but a waste of time. But before, let me tell you something. Your style of moderation is moderation in a "brain dead" mode, :lol: when you recently banned purplegirl, because of her opinion on that equality thing, when she didn't say absolutely anything contraversial and out of rules, and you started whining about you are bavarian and you are sick of everybody thinks you are a nazi :lol: it was like wow you are a blondie, emu, in the worst stereotypical sense. you and d1zt3mp3r are both worth each other. a hysterical blondie and parrot. and occasionally such useful suggestors like this annoying commander, easy jumping to teach everybody not even bothering to read basics. funny, he keeps teaching. :D This is all one could see here.

you are right in one thing though, ironically, the forum you moderate has turned into anything but the place for the developers. anyone searching for some technical details may even not try to find it here. nor discussions. nothing. only d1zt3mp3r grammar corrections.
As you wish. My brain dead mode tells me that contrary to PurpleGurl you will not be back in 7 days. She did say enough controversal and thread hijacking and yes, the way I see her talking is the way I gave you all. I really like how you use my look and racial characteristics against me and my argumentation, but to correct you, I am dark blond and have brown eyes, what a stereotype is this?! *puts on list* Even more insulting of a so called hysterical moderator and a user who loves grammar a bit too much maybe... *puts on list* My ways of moderating are limited, I can not ban ppl for being a n00b and these show up here most of the time and like in real life developers hate to explain everything 298475 times. Thats the reason why I like ppl helping others in here. If you wanna talk to devs, then use the normal ways to talk to devs like the well known mailing lists or IRC chats. But what I can do with my limiited ways here... I can ban ppl for behavior like... YOURS and I LOVE to do it. :lol: *drops the mike and banhammer*
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...