67 specific reasons for wanting ReactOS:

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

dizt3mp3r

Re: My specific reasons for wanting ReactOS:

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Oh.

For me it is a significant point. I need to be able to customise my system. Windows 10 denies me that capability in many respects. Previous builds allowed me to choose my own image on the login screen and that is what I want. That has been taken away with a recent release and on top of that there is now advertising. Someone puts advertising on my o/s then that's a reason for a new o/s by itself.

38. Has to stay. It is very important to many.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
ROCKNROLLKID

Post by ROCKNROLLKID »

I am not sure what you mean. You can change the login screen image here: https://snag.gy/4Keg6z.jpg

You can still do that even after the creators update. You also can disable the ads in that box, too, and I believe now when you install Windows 10, you can do it in the installation, too. Just make sure you have the "Show lock screen background image on the sign-in screen" turned to on.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

I had been using a 3rd party tool to change the login screen but that tool no longer operates since the update and I looked no further assuming that the customisation capability has been removed. I will have to boot up my Win10 system and look again - thanks for that. :)

-oOo-

38. No unwanted advertising on various o/s components (login screen, live tiles &c)
39. Allows creation of specific distros, stripped down or focussed for gaming purposes, themeing, server operation, POS systems &c.

PS. I always have a problem with the acronym POS because in my vocabulary it is a scatological term that means "Pile Of Sh!T". It always makes me chuckle when I see it used. Quite childish I know.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

Yes, I have to double check myself when I say POS for Point of Sale, since it could mean something ugly like a "piece of s***." That addition to the list (#39) sounds like a comment I made in another thread, where the presence of an open source OS offers the ability to strip it down some for a specific purpose. So that can increase security in specific scenarios, keep staff from goofing off, etc.
LuxenDM

Post by LuxenDM »

Oh no, if the library installs ReactOS I wont be able to goof off when no patrons are at the desk anymore! :o
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

LuxenDM wrote:Oh no, if the library installs ReactOS I won't be able to goof off when no patrons are at the desk anymore! :o
Not if they use an official version. I was only stating that there is the ability to customize ReactOS. Nobody has to actually do so if they don't want. But that is how true freedom works, by giving common folks the right to do unpopular things.
Blackcrack

Post by Blackcrack »

nothing works with 100+1% , maybe works or works not, but one is certainly with nearly 100% :
freedom and developing in the freedom works.. because any baby want learn walking ..
and this it is giving by the cradle and in the genes .. it be the different groups where
have a different opinions about the reality's and this makes the different variations ..
so this arises from the nature .. so, if it is popularity , want it works , in different way's ..

best regards
Blacky
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

I want ReactOS just so that I don't have to work with Microdolt's appalling GUI on Win10.

Forgive this rant but I do not have anywhere else to give voice to my feelings...

Using a Win 10 laptop, not used it for a while but when logging in I noticed that MS had reverted my default fonts and a right click context menu for one of my apps. would no longer fit on screen.

So, I went into personalise (right click desktop) to find that the font setting seems to have been removed entirely. Using the search bar to find information pertaining to "fonts" came up with lots of stuff that has nothing to do with setting fonts. I found I was unable to set the font for anything. I am a Sys. Admin and I can't change or figure out how to change a windows font? There is something wrong, it can't be as difficult as this surely?

I know a workaround, I have a sure way to do it quickly. I ran an old version of winaero tweaker, then had to upgrade it, then run it to set the default and other fonts, click apply to each, click "log off" and it "signs me out" rather than "logging me off". Then I re-login and wait for the o/s to log me in - ah good, the fonts were successfully set. That took me 25 minutes.

That rigmarole was disappointing - I shouldn't have to do this in a grown up o/s.

Then I ran my app and found the fonts weren't the actual problem after all as the vertical line spacing in context menus seems to have grown by a factor of two/three making a perfectly usable context menu (under winXP, Vista or 7) fill the whole screen and disappear off the bottom of the display. Altering the font size has no effect on the spacing. I find that Winaero tweaker has an option to revert the context menu format to previous style but on m latest version of Win 10 it has zero effect. This option sees to have been countered by Microgits. They obviously want menus to be too big to use.

I tinkered with updating windows to ensure that it was running the latest version, as I do appreciate things can be fixed in later versions. OK, let's do that, let's update. I open control panel to find that Windows Update link has been removed from control panel... Crikey. Why did they do that? Is this deliberate?

I really struggle with Microtosspot's inability to do ANYTHING right with a GUI. Their designers are a gaggle of unprofessional knob-ends that couldn't design a door without turning it into a catflap.

Forgive my rant but it really feels as if MS just love planting little tiny landmines all around their blighted o/s just to piss us all off - royally.

On a recent post some of us berated a Microsoft-hater for refusing to run any of Microdolt's products, well forgive me, I am joining the ranks of the Microsoft haters - I am now one of those. I am abandoning my quad core win10 piece of junk and turning on my old windows 7 core2duo with a 15" screen just because I can use that o/s without wanting to smash it to pieces. Trust me - I was SO tempted.

Please, please get ReactOS to beta just so I can start to wipe Windows 10 from the face of the earth.
Last edited by dizt3mp3r on Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sand

Post by Sand »

Windows took wrong direction after Bill Gates left. It seems Nadella hates Windows technology and all Gates heritage and strives to kill Windows as we know it by gradually transforming it into some totally different operating system.
erkinalp

Post by erkinalp »

Windows 10 is not primarily based on Nadella's decisions, though. It is all teams' joint effort(especially cloud and compatibility). Previous versions had only been worked by Windows team. They would not add WSL if they had not taken compatibility that serious.
I open control panel to find that Windows Update link has been removed from control panel.
Because you opened wrong control panel(Win32 one). Windows Update is in Metro control panel.
-uses Ubuntu+GNOME 3 GNU/Linux
-likes Free (as in freedom) and Open Source Detergents
-favors open source of Windows 10 under GPL2
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

erkinalp wrote:
I open control panel to find that Windows Update link has been removed from control panel.
Because you opened wrong control panel(Win32 one). Windows Update is in Metro control panel.
I think that's my point! It is has been in that readily accessible location when it was deemed to be useful for it to be there, I remember it getting its own link. Then it is removed. Is it no longer useful for it to be there? The other stuff remains, why?. So, the logic to place it there was wrong in the first place? Or is it because MS has to MAKE us use the appalling "settings" telly tubby stuff in order to justify this appalling GUI.

When running settings it gives me a white cog for a full second. I don't want the stupid cog. The settings search box does not let you know when you've clicked on it like all other input fields, sometimes it doesn't even accept input. I feel as if I have stumbled into some alternative universe where the people are all fat-fingered cretins and they need a dumbed-down os for their stubby digits.

Don't get me started.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

40. A solution for managing ESX hosts from the Linux desktop platform. Creating lightweight ReactOS Virtual Machines in VBox and installing vSphere Client - suggestion by karlexceed added.
reactosuser7

Post by reactosuser7 »

dizt3mp3r wrote:If anyone says, "what's the point in ReactOS, I have Windows, why would I want ReactOS instead?" I give them this list:

1. Safe browsing in a virtual ReactOS sandbox (Firefox)
2. A platform for development using legacy environments (VB6)
3. A platform for widget desktop development and packaging (Yahoo Widget Engine)
4. A platform for graphical design (Photoshop CS ver 8.0 - the oldest and still the best)
5. A platform that I can theme fully without patching.
6. A platform that I can change the underlying o/s fonts, colours without the GUI denying me this capability.
7. A platform I can bundle and distribute with my own customisations - a Windows/ReactOS distro.
8. A platform that I can use multiple instances of for testing
9. A platform that I can build into any x86 computer by default.
10. No licensing restrictions
11. Full DOS gaming under NTVDM.
12. All/most older/current 32bit Windows apps should just function.
13. All/most older/current 32bit Windows drivers should just function.
14. Access to all legacy apps that stopped working under NT6+
15. Access to source code if required for bug-fixing or just for analysis.
16. Real support from a dedicated and growing ReactOS community, you can actually report bugs and obtain feedback!
17. Real support from the Windows community too for all apps/driver problems, at the very least for comparison purposes.
18. Documentation will exist for ReactOS, documentation is always good!
19. Escape from Microsoft's eternal UI redesign - controls, options, everything are right back where I want them to be.
20. Freedom from forced obsolescence by design, being forced by MS to abandon useful software.
21. Freedom to use the o/s of my choice without abandoning all my prior knowledge and experience.
22. There are no restrictions with regard to functionality removed from the different home/professional versions, there are no crippled versions!
23. It is free of DRM restrictions.
24. Gaining an old and familiar desktop environment.
25. Gaining an o/s that is quicker to boot, much slimmer with regard to footprint, and much more efficient in operation.
26. It is free, completely! No licence costs for multiple servers. Multiple instances cost nothing.
27. Bug fixing - ReactOS is open source. The code is reviewed by MANY eyes and bugs are caught and fixed, rather than ignored and buried.
28. No metro apps that consume more resources than needed.
29. No possibility of unwanted or undocumented telemetry data-mining your system, ReactOS will not expose your data thus also saving bandwidth.
30. The ability to port an NT-compatible OS to hypervisors with paravirtualizing capabilities.
31. Ability to compile the source code and know how an NT compatible system actually works, or at the very least, get an idea of how it works.
32. NSA backdoors less likely due to peer review of the open source codebase allowing monitoring and quick fixing. The code is reviewed by MANY eyes and security flaws are caught and fixed, rather than ignored and buried.
33. Can run on many different types of filesystems, FAT32, NTFS, IFS.
34. I want an o/s that does not complain and stop booting when I change the hardware beyond what it thinks should be in my PC.
35. No need ever to call Microsoft to re-enable software I have already purchased.
36. Has the potential for compilation to other hardware platforms and not just x86 but potentially ARM, powerPC &c leading to a multiplatform NT compatible o/s!
37. Extends the capabilities of XP/2003 to encompass newer technologies that were not present in the original versions of these o/s.
38. No unwanted advertising on various o/s components (login screen, live tiles &c)
39. Allows creation of specific distros, stripped down or focussed for gaming purposes, themeing, server operation, POS systems &c.
40. A solution for managing ESX hosts from the Linux desktop platform. Creating lightweight ReactOS Virtual Machines in VBox and installing vSphere Client - suggestion by karlexceed.

Please add to the list.
Excellent explanation.
cernodile

Post by cernodile »

41. Really fast installation of the OS, faster than any Windows ever installed on any device.
My working rigs:
Dell Latitude E5430 on 0.4.9-vgal - i5-3340M, USB boot.
Partially working rigs:
Ryzen 7 3700X on B450 board - 0.4.14 boot via preinstall. USB broken.
[ external image ]
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

I'll take that! Does anyone have timings for an installation on real hardware? If we state something concrete it ought be backed up by facts.