0.4.7 RC1 - USB works only in the first second

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Michael Long

Re: 0.4.7 RC1 - USB works only in the first second

Post by Michael Long »

Thank you. It sounds like a regression. I am using Firefox 2.0.0.20 and with that version it works fine.
Michael Long

Post by Michael Long »

Is there a way to trigger the backtrace output without entering the letters "b" and "t" through the not-working keyboard?

I am kind of out of ideas how to further help in finding the bug.
middings

Post by middings »

The only other way I can think of to enter the 'bt' backtrace command to the ReactOS debugger is to attach a host computer to the target computer (the computer being tested). This requires that both the host and target computers have built-in RS-232 serial input-output (I/O) ports. The ports are connected by a null-modem serial cable (an ordinary serial cable will not work). The host computer runs a terminal emulation program such as the free (gratis) PuTTY program. When the target computer running ReactOS breaks into the debugger, commands to the debugger can be entered from the host computer's terminal.
Last edited by middings on Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Long

Post by Michael Long »

@middings: Ok, thank you. That sounds good. Then I can also receive a full debug log in the text form instead of wasting so much black toner powder and till now I was only able to show you the last lines. The motherboard of the not working computer has only a pin header for RS-232 so I will need to order some parts first, do some soldering and so on. It will probably take about 2 or 3 weeks.

@vgal: I am not 100% sure if I understood your comment in JIRA correctly. You said that the support for the newer Intel hardware only exists in the new USB port driver. Is this driver already included in your version you published on your homepage (ReactOS 75965 + new USB)? There seems to be another USB side project (https://github.com/reactos/reactos/pull/92) which makes it hard for me to keep track of what should be used for testings.
Michael Long

Post by Michael Long »

I am sorry, I am not able to receive anything.

Are these settings correct? The wiki article just says that the control flow should be done by hardware.

[ external image ]

I also noticed, that if I use the installation CD to install ReactOS on my test hard disc from a different computer and then connect this hard disc to my test computer after the installation was successful then I can boot from this drive. USB input devices don't work when ReactOS has booted to desktop but at least the booting process doesn't crash like it does with the live CD.

Edit: I just checked with my oscilloscope. It looks as ReactOS doesn't send anything.
oldman

Post by oldman »

Michael Long wrote:I am sorry, I am not able to receive anything.

Are these settings correct? The wiki article just says that the control flow should be done by hardware.

I also noticed, that if I use the installation CD to install ReactOS on my test hard disc from a different computer and then connect this hard disc to my test computer after the installation was successful then I can boot from this drive. USB input devices don't work when ReactOS has booted to desktop but at least the booting process doesn't crash like it does with the live CD.

Edit: I just checked with my oscilloscope. It looks as ReactOS doesn't send anything.
To get any debug info, you must start in ReactOS (Debug), also I would leave the flow control in the default setting (see here)
Please keep the Windows classic 9x/2000 look and feel.
The layman's guides - debugging - bug reporting - compiling - ISO remaster.
They may help you with a problem, so do have a look at them.
Michael Long

Post by Michael Long »

Thank you for the link.

But yes, I used the "ReactOS (debug)" option. It gets selected automatically if I don't touch the keyboard.

[ external image ]

I don't know if it has anything to do with this issue, but on my motherboard there is no fully implemented RS-232 port. It has only ground, TxD, RxD, CTS and RTS:
[ external image ]

But I think that the putty settings don't matter at the current state because there is no activity on the pin header at all.
oldman

Post by oldman »

The only other suggestions that I can make are, use a virtual machine with tty0tty or buy a serial card.
Michael Long

Post by Michael Long »

In a virtual machine the bug probably wouldn't appear.

I just received a debug log from a different machine with the same null modem cable and pin header to d-sub-adapter on the receiving machine. So receiving does not seem to be the problem. Sending seems to be.

Can't we fix this by software? I actually don't want to buy more and more stuff just to see that ReactOS is so buggy that even debugging does not work. I just looked for a half size mini pci express card but it seems as only full size cards are being sold anyway.
oldman

Post by oldman »

Try running with ReatOS (Log File). If it boots far enough, you should find the debug log in C:\reactos
Michael Long

Post by Michael Long »

Ok, so I pulled out the CD drive with the live CD and plugged in the test hard drive so I have a C:. Yes, ReactOS was able to boot up to desktop again and produce this "debug.log"-file. So I shut down the computer (pulling the power plug because input devices don't work) and then installed this test hard disc in a different computer. Then I booted from this test hard drive to find out that ReactOS can't read the file. When I open the file, this error message appeared:
[ external image ]

So I booted a Linux live CD and tried to access the file but Linux also complained about some unknown input/output error. So I attached another hard disc with Windows installed on it and booted from this hard disc. Windows did recognize the hard disc in the device manager but didn't show it in the Windows explorer. Wonderful.

After a reboot I could access it from Windows, for what reason ever. Here it is:
http://ontheserver.de/temp/ReactOS/E381 ... lation.txt

I don't know if it's any good because this log file was not generated from the live CD which crashes. It also does not contain a backtrace. It actually looks as if the end is missing.

Is there anything else I could try to help?
Michael Long

Post by Michael Long »

I just read that some other people have problems communicating with the serial port, too, when they use the motherboard that I have. They used an older version of the Linux kernel (2.6) but a newer version fixed that problem.

I also read that it is possible to set the address of the serial port in this fashion:
Options=/DEBUG /DEBUGPORT=COM:0xCC00 /BAUDRATE=115200 /SOS
If I don't set the address, which address is the default address? Maybe ReactOS is writing to some wrong address and I need to redirect it.

Edit: Changing the address to the one I expected the serial port to be did not help.
nat32support

Post by nat32support »

I've been watching this thread and am also testing ReactOS on real hardware.
I found this link to your 0.4.8 live CD version:
https://vk.com/away.php?to=https%3A%2F% ... 95&cc_key=
and ran it. It looks very promising.

My question:
Could you perhaps generate a boot CD for the above version?
That would allow me to do more tests.
Many thanks for your work,

Chris.
Michael Long

Post by Michael Long »

Your help in testing is much appreciated. Especially because of the RS-232 problem on my computer I probably can't do much more for this USB issue. My other PCs don't have the USB issue. They also have issues with USB but different ones.

I just tested the live CD you linked to. With SATA set to AHCI it boots with a blue screen, with SATA set to IDE it boots to desktop but USB HIDs don't work on my problematic computer which I have used for the tests for this issue.