Opening hive file failed

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

A gamer360

Opening hive file failed

Post by A gamer360 »

When I tried to boot reactos I got an error when it try to load system hive ps: it's a brand new install.
A:\>INSTALL
FILE OR FLODER NAME ICORECT
A:\>CD RESTORE
A:\RESTORE\>DEL C:\
DONE
A:\RESTORE\>REBOOT
oldman

Re: Opening hive file failed

Post by oldman »

A gamer360 wrote:When I tried to boot reactos I got an error when it try to load system hive ps: it's a brand new install.
I have had this happen with my Dell Latitude E4310!

Please supply more information!

1. What revision or release did it happen with.
2. Is it in real hardware or a virtual machine.
3. What is the specification of the computer you are using or virtual machine.
4. At what point did this bug occur (first stage, second stage or when booting into the desktop for the first time)?

Have you tried to boot more than once, because sometimes it will stop at a point, but the next time it will go past that point and complete the boot process.
Please keep the Windows classic 9x/2000 look and feel.
The layman's guides - debugging - bug reporting - compiling - ISO remaster.
They may help you with a problem, so do have a look at them.
A gamer360

Post by A gamer360 »

I use the latest version of reactos on my principal computer. At the end and in a reboot demand I reboot it and I launch reactos but I got this error (previos operating system: windows 10)
DONE
A gamer360

Post by A gamer360 »

oldman wrote:
A gamer360 wrote:When I tried to boot reactos I got an error when it try to load system hive ps: it's a brand new install.
I have had this happen with my Dell Latitude E4310!

Please supply more information!

1. What revision or release did it happen with.
2. Is it in real hardware or a virtual machine.
3. What is the specification of the computer you are using or virtual machine.
4. At what point did this bug occur (first stage, second stage or when booting into the desktop for the first time)?

Have you tried to boot more than once, because sometimes it will stop at a point, but the next time it will go past that point and complete the boot process.
I use the latest version of reactos on my principal computer. At the end and in a reboot demand I reboot it and I launch reactos but I got this error (previos operating system: windows 10)
DONE
oldman

Post by oldman »

A gamer360 wrote:I use the latest version of reactos on my principal computer. At the end and in a reboot demand I reboot it and I launch reactos but I got this error (previous operating system: windows 10)
I fear that you have made a big mistake by installing ReactOS on your main computer! I hope that you have back-up all your files before installing ReactOS.

ReactOS is still a work in progress and therefore things can and do go wrong. It would have been better to have installed to a second and older computer or failing that, in a virtual machine!

I would suggest that you try and recover the original Windows 10 operating system; there is free software on the internet that will do that.
Please keep the Windows classic 9x/2000 look and feel.
The layman's guides - debugging - bug reporting - compiling - ISO remaster.
They may help you with a problem, so do have a look at them.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Once again this occurs!

OP - please read this post: https://reactos.org/wiki/Installing_ReactOS

Warning: Please bear in mind that ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not stable or feature-complete and is not recommended for everyday use. Operating system bugs can and do result in corrupted file systems, overwritten partitions, and more. Do not install ReactOS on any computer containing important data without using a virtual machine or making full backups first.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
A gamer360

Post by A gamer360 »

oldman wrote:
A gamer360 wrote:I use the latest version of reactos on my principal computer. At the end and in a reboot demand I reboot it and I launch reactos but I got this error (previous operating system: windows 10)
I fear that you have made a big mistake by installing ReactOS on your main computer! I hope that you have back-up all your files before installing ReactOS.

ReactOS is still a work in progress and therefore things can and do go wrong. It would have been better to have installed to a second and older computer or failing that, in a virtual machine!

I would suggest that you try and recover the original Windows 10 operating system; there is free software on the internet that will do that.

Yeah I guess you right. But windows 10 became so laggy and it's in sutible for me. I will try to debate with my uncle to install reactos.
DONE
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Do not attempt to use ReactOS as your main o/s. It is not ready for use.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
florian

Post by florian »

Please be aware of the following Stages of development (explained by Wikipedia's article Software release life cycle):

The Alpha phase [...] is the first phase to begin software testing (!). Alpha software can be unstable and could cause crashes or data loss. Alpha software may not contain all of the features that are planned for the final version. [...]

Beta phase generally begins when the software is feature complete but likely to contain a number of known or unknown bugs. Software in the beta phase will generally have many more bugs in it than completed software, as well as speed/performance issues and may still cause crashes or data loss. The focus of beta testing is reducing impacts to users, often incorporating usability testing. [...] Beta version software is often useful for demonstrations and previews within an organization and to prospective customers.

ReactOS is neither beta nor a release candidate (RC) or even a "final" Operating System...
A gamer360

Post by A gamer360 »

Ok. I will trust my uncle to install Windows 10 and reactos as a dual boot. (IDK if it work)
DONE
hbelusca
Developer

Post by hbelusca »

A gamer360 wrote:Ok. I will trust my uncle to install Windows 10 and reactos as a dual boot. (IDK if it work)
In that case, I would very very strongly recommend that you install ReactOS on a second HDD in case things go awry. As an alternative, on a second partition in the first harddisk, but this partition has to be formatted in FAT32 (support for other filesystems is under work). And then you would have to find a way to configure the Windows 10 bootloader to offer you a boot entry for ReactOS.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Well, we warned you. If all goes down I hope your uncle fixes it for you including all your data...

We, the guys behind ReactOS tell you NOT to do that, so you will be on your own.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
Adcock

Post by Adcock »

Don't even bother.
Don't endanger your data.
Data is prescious. Manipulate with care.
If your MBR is altered then you will need at least 8 to 9 hours to recover data fully. That will be possible if you have another storage medium as big as your current one.
I fell into a problem like this recently and it took a lot of time to get every thing back.
I even compromised my 'c' drive.
My one TB hd was mostly empty and I had to recover only 68GB.
That took from 6pm to 3am.
So with your hd full of data you will need a full day even if your pc is powerful.
My pc was not old.
Actually it is not mine.
Important thing is it is new and most of the disk was untouched.
So that was easy.
Don't use your primary storage device.
Edit:
The reason behind my problem was not ReactOS.
It was OpenBSD.
I choose whole disk as option while trying to install.
So it was my inexperience that was the curlpit.
So whenever you want to setup a new OS on your pc always use virtual environment first.
It is not a formality but a necessity.
Be smart, be safe and don't try to play with real hardware that you use daily. (VE) :lol:
Open Your Windows To Freedom
A gamer360

Post by A gamer360 »

hbelusca wrote:
A gamer360 wrote:Ok. I will trust my uncle to install Windows 10 and reactos as a dual boot. (IDK if it work)
In that case, I would very very strongly recommend that you install ReactOS on a second HDD in case things go awry. As an alternative, on a second partition in the first harddisk, but this partition has to be formatted in FAT32 (support for other filesystems is under work). And then you would have to find a way to configure the Windows 10 bootloader to offer you a boot entry for ReactOS.
I have 2 HDD in my computer but the 1TO became broke
DONE
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

I know it is a bit late but next time you attempt any sort of install, really read those instructions - and follow them.