Download page missing important information for Newbies

Suggestions and comments about the ReactOS website

Moderator: Moderator Team

oldman

Re: Download page missing important information for Newbies

Post by oldman »

mametoc wrote:Sorry for my bad English. But I think it is not necessary to include more warnings on the page or the installation because not even Windows have it.
You fail to understand that we are talking about people that come to reactos.org and try the OS, then get very disillusioned and go away, because it fails to install or it fails to run their software. As for Microsoft, they do not release a pre alfa or a alfa Windows OS, only a beta for testing. ReactOS is still in the alfa stage, so no comparison there!
Please keep the Windows classic 9x/2000 look and feel.
The layman's guides - debugging - bug reporting - compiling - ISO remaster.
They may help you with a problem, so do have a look at them.
oldman

Post by oldman »

Some thoughts and suggestions.

1. The Download page:
When you click on the button to down load either of the cd ISO images, you are presented with an overlay window asking for donations!
a. How much is actually donated via this window?
b. Is this the right place to be asking for donations?

2. The Wiki page:
a. Warning box needs the 'not's emphasized in bold and capitals.
b. Needs to be written in everyday language, to be made more understandable for all.
c. System requirements should be swapped with Before installing.

If the window (1a.) does not generate any or very very little money, then it could be used to warn people of the potential hazards of installing ReactOS in real hardware and the donations request (1b) could be placed somewhere else (try before you donate).

This is how I would adjust the text in the warning box (2a.)
Warning: Please bear in mind that ReactOS is still in alpha stage, this means it is NOT stable or feature-complete and is NOT recommended for everyday use. Operating system bugs can and do result in corrupted file systems, overwritten partitions, and more. Do NOT install ReactOS on any computer containing important data without using a virtual machine or making full backups first.

The page (2b.) as obviously been written by an intelligent person, but is it readily understood by all, especially by people who are not native English speakers and could it be made clearer? Some people do come here that struggle to communicate in English!
mametoc

Post by mametoc »

oldman wrote:
mametoc wrote:Sorry for my bad English. But I think it is not necessary to include more warnings on the page or the installation because not even Windows have it.
You fail to understand that we are talking about people that come to reactos.org and try the OS, then get very disillusioned and go away, because it fails to install or it fails to run their software. As for Microsoft, they do not release a pre alfa or a alfa Windows OS, only a beta for testing. ReactOS is still in the alfa stage, so no comparison there!
So if we are that strict ... Windows 10 can also be considered as "alpha" since some applications or games of previous versions simply do not work even in compatibility mode, "disillusioning people". Then do not even put the alpha version of ReactOS available for download if it is so dangerous. For example, Haiku OS on its download page also does not make a drama of the dangers of its installation. I honestly think you're overreacting.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

mametoc wrote:I honestly think you're overreacting.
I honestly think you haven't a clue.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
mametoc

Post by mametoc »

If you do not have more to say also you can assume that you have no idea.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

I have much more to say but just nothing more in response to you. I think all you have managed is to pollute this thread.

Back to reality.

I would be happy with any wording suggested here, all are equally applicable.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
oldman

Post by oldman »

Another thought I have had is, the release ISO should be a down-loadable package, which would include the ISO and a readme-first.txt, or it could be called ESSENTIAL INSTALLATION GUIDE (suggested by dizt3mp3r).

The readme-first.txt would contain the following, in this order:
1. A warning that there is a chance that the installation could go wrong and cause loss.
2. What to expect and what not to expect.

(the following from the wiki https://reactos.org/wiki/Installing_ReactOS)

3. The Before installing section.
4. The System requirements section.
5. The Installing ReactOS section.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

FYI - I have PM'd to vicmarcal and hbelusca requesting that they review this thread.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Hbelusca has responded positively regarding the installer.
I agree, we need to make the warning more visible in USETUP (and in the future 1st-stage GUI installer)
I'll report as soon as vicmarcal responds or of course he may just post here.
Fraizeraust

Post by Fraizeraust »

So, any response from responsible maintainers? Colin? Victor?

So far the Download page hasn't been changed yet which means it'd attract people thinking ReactOS is usable and bug-free. I'm not trying to be rude or rushing things but looks like some people have been inside the trap as I see and, then, they get disappointed because why ROS doesn't work.
a.k.a. GeoB99 -- ReactOS Kernel developer -- My Wiki page
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Fraizeraust wrote:but looks like some people have been inside the trap as I see and, then, they get disappointed because why ROS doesn't work.
Yes I agree entirely, recently I have been drawn into several discussions with people who are basically disappointed by the status of ReactOS not matching their high expectations. My thoughts were on this point you have just raised and I was thinking of pushing a second time.

Having received no reply from those that maintain the site, I will try a different route.
oldman

Post by oldman »

dizt3mp3r wrote:Having received no reply from those that maintain the site, I will try a different route.
Have you thought about creating a JIRA ReactOS Online Service (ONLINE) issue! That should bring it to the attention of a lot of the developers!
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Yes of course and thankyou, that is my next step if I cannot bring it to the attention of the maintainers by PM.
Fraizeraust

Post by Fraizeraust »

https://jira.reactos.org/browse/ONLINE-740

Here you go, I made this report in case dizt3mp3r forgot to make one. What does it need though is lots of attention from many people so developers can take it into account in a short time.
a.k.a. GeoB99 -- ReactOS Kernel developer -- My Wiki page
oldman

Post by oldman »

Fraizeraust wrote:https://jira.reactos.org/browse/ONLINE-740

Here you go, I made this report in case dizt3mp3r forgot to make one. What does it need though is lots of attention from many people so developers can take it into account in a short time.
I think that you have just usurped dizt3mp3r on this, it is his topic; I hope he does not mind!
Description
Currently the Download page of ReactOS website does not have any kind of information concerning the OS' usability, compatibility and stability leading to users thinking ReactOS is already stable and fully polished enough for daily activity and basic needs.

This is, however, untrue as ReactOS is still in Alpha yet not everyone acknowledges it and they start to complain why ROS hangs on certain tasks or such. The responsible maintainers (Colin or Victor) or anyone involving on website maintaining, the Download page must be improved in short future otherwise we'll only get confusing people which is just bad for ReactOS.
In the above quote, the second paragraph needs a rewrite, it is written poorly (it needs dizt3mp3r attention) and you seem to be demanding that they do something, as apposed to asking them!