Blender3D?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

dark

Blender3D?

Post by dark »

Does anyone know how far away Blender3d is from working? I can learn on windows for now, but different story if i want to produce something. Currently when blender starts the console window comes up, and then appears to display an error message, but closes before you can read it. The main window never appears.
GvG

Post by GvG »

Try opening a command prompt and starting it from there, that way the error message should become visible
dark

Post by dark »

It actually has two errors but seems to be able to run with the first

Error 1:

Warning: Could not determine argv[0] path

Error 2:

Assertion failed at lib\mesa32\src\drivers\windows\gdi\mesa.c line 45: pwc->cColorBits==16 ll pwc->cColorBits==32

the ll seem to be absolute value signs or similar, i don't have a key for those on my keyboard.
menn

Re: Blender3D?

Post by menn »

dark wrote:I can learn on windows for now, but different story if i want to produce something.
purely out of curiousity, why would that be different?
FOSS="MY Computer"
drm="NOT My Computer" http://eff.org
dark

Post by dark »

royalties, liscensing, etc... For a business i believe there is some liscensing agreements that say you have to use the professional edition. (a few hundred dollars more)
loki1985

Post by loki1985 »

dark wrote:royalties, liscensing, etc... For a business i believe there is some liscensing agreements that say you have to use the professional edition. (a few hundred dollars more)
completely wrong. read the FAQ and License again. blender is GPL, and as long as you use blender for modeling only and do not use its source, you can do whatever you want working with it.
reub2000

Post by reub2000 »

loki1985 wrote:
dark wrote:royalties, liscensing, etc... For a business i believe there is some liscensing agreements that say you have to use the professional edition. (a few hundred dollars more)
completely wrong. read the FAQ and License again. blender is GPL, and as long as you use blender for modeling only and do not use its source, you can do whatever you want working with it.
What are you talking about? Your free to use the sourcecode of free software.
oiaohm

Post by oiaohm »

Lets Place some ICE here

2.25 Blender and before were comerical. Licences were required.

Everything since has not required a Licence and has been GPL. Only recently has the game engine started working as expected. Some libs remained comerical for a whille.

The Comerical version today comes with the biggest phile of textures I have ever seen. It the textures that are comerical not the program.
loki1985

Post by loki1985 »

so, and what does this issue have to do with ReactOS at all? :evil:
will using ROS make these "commercial textures" (which i do not really believe) free all of a sudden or what?
menn

Post by menn »

believe he meant windows would cost too much to go pro- but eh, i think he just mixed up too many licesnse ideas and got a little paranoid- maybe. he should be able to do what he needs before ros has all the api's needed for blender. that is, unless he needs to have MANY windows workstations in his business. then he really might need ros, depending on his level of capital. for now, this is where linux (+wine in this case??) comes in. but i'm just trying to think practically, not flame... please note.
FOSS="MY Computer"
drm="NOT My Computer" http://eff.org
dark

Post by dark »

Yes, Windows Proffesional. I'm very sure it's against the windows home liscense to use it for business. Please read more carefully, i didn't have access to a computer for some time so couldn't respond. (OF COURSE I KNOW BLENDER IS GPL)
loki1985

Post by loki1985 »

dark wrote:Yes, Windows Proffesional. I'm very sure it's against the windows home liscense to use it for business. Please read more carefully, i didn't have access to a computer for some time so couldn't respond. (OF COURSE I KNOW BLENDER IS GPL)
sorry, didn't see the post about textures was not from you.....

i am not sure about doing a commercial project with XP home edition, but i think it must work.... else someone writing a book on XP home would not be allowed to distribute it, strictly thinking.

so study the EULA, i think it should be OK....