Is This a Joke?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

gp65

Is This a Joke?

Post by gp65 »

Are you guys kidding me? No USB support so can't get my Belkin USB wireless adapter to be recognized or put factory drivers on via a USB drive. I put my LAN drivers on a CD and the install manager installed the hardware but a code 39 for the driver said it can't be loaded. I don't mind having some assembly required but if I can't get on the internet to hunt for drivers what is the point? I was looking for an alternative to Windows that works better than Linux/Wine with Play on Linux but this is not it. I don't need more aggravation than I already have. This was my last hope but I guess Microsoft can't be beaten not yet anyway and not with ReactOS. What a disappointment and waste of two CD's and 2 days. :(
dizt3mp3r

Re: Is This a Joke?

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Are you as equally stupid as your post? (forgive me but it was ignorant).

Did you read the installation notes? Due to your basic ignorance and lack of organisation you just wasted yourself two days of your time. Reading the installation notes will explain everything.

"I was looking for an alternative to Windows that works better than Linux/Wine with Play on Linux but this is not it" - DOH!

How can you fail to understand that ReactOS is in Alpha? It is NOT a suitable replacement for Windows, perhaps you don't understand what Alpha means?

How can you fail to read that USB is not yet supported as it is under development... oh yes, you couldn't be bothered to read the notes...

Sometimes I despair! I think this post shows it.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Who can read clearly is in the advantage. (1:1 translation of a nice german phrase fitting all too well here...)
See my sig and listen to dizt3mp3r's a bit harsh but true words.
In your other post I explained you what might help. Seems like you did not read that one too. Otherwise you would have one day less with tinkerin.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
gp65

Post by gp65 »

Sorry guys. Perhaps you don't understand just how off the deep end I am right now over Microsoft. I have a degree in IT and you are right I did not read anything because I am a visual learner I like to jump right in and learn. This is what sent me over the edge. A while back I decided one morning to swap video cards on two of my machines. As a logical first step I uninstalled the video drivers on each of the computers and when I returned to my office Microsoft had invalidated both Windows licenses because of "unauthorized System changes." I apologize but I have been irrational ever since. Seriously uninstalling video drivers is an unauthorized system change now. Simply re-installing the driver on the Win 8 machine fixed the problem automatically but even with MS helping me with the Win 7 machine (for weeks) I never got that one back. I attempted a clean install on the Win 7 machine and with their help every time I installed the video driver same thing unauthorized system change and within minutes the "Not Genuine" banner in the lower right. So I apologize. I have been obsessed with eliminating MS from my life and have not had much luck with Play on Linux although I do have an old game called Stalingrad working and also MS Office 2010 on Ubuntu 14.04.1. I hope to see MS lose their gaming base someday and I want to live long enough to see it.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

OK, apologies back at you!

I understand where you are coming from, I have had the same happen to me. It is called Microshafting. You are being Microshafted now.

The situation you describe is one of those that ReactOS will fix - eventually, just not now. Replicating Windows and all the compatibility and functionality that Windows requires/provides is a huge job and it will not be done overnight.

There are only a few devs contributing so change is slow but steady.

If it helps, the phone call to Microsoft, although painful, will almost always allow you to resolve the licence issue. That is my experience anyway - it sounds as if you have tried that... :(

PS. When USB support arrives, ReactOS may become usable for you in a very limited sense, ie. some apps may work, ReactOS will still be unstable but some of what you want to do may eventually work. Just be aware that initially hardware support will be very sketchy.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

The workaround of using Linux and wine is a learning experience, perhaps steamOS might be the better choice for a gaming system?
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

USB stack is working nicely on Win2003 and thus *should* on ROS, but there the testing did not even begin yet. But the fact of these files working on Windows is a biiig step already. Soon you can try again, but not too soon :P
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Guilt follows cruelty...
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

The other thing to ask is if the OP had tried a later trunk revision rather than the latest official version. I noticed the few USB changes of last year were finally merged into trunk. However, that was for just 1.x and the hub. It would be nice if Vardan would play with 2.x, but he likely has no time.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Vardan did a great job fixing parts of the stack. But parts are ontouched completely due to the monster amount of work needed here. Check for vgalnt's work. https://github.com/vgalnt/reactos He has quite some branches of the stuff untouched and is actively working on it. That's what works on Win2003 I told about.

gp65

Post by gp65 »

dizt3mp3r wrote:OK, apologies back at you!

I understand where you are coming from, I have had the same happen to me. It is called Microshafting. You are being Microshafted now.

The situation you describe is one of those that ReactOS will fix - eventually, just not now. Replicating Windows and all the compatibility and functionality that Windows requires/provides is a huge job and it will not be done overnight.

There are only a few devs contributing so change is slow but steady.

If it helps, the phone call to Microsoft, although painful, will almost always allow you to resolve the licence issue. That is my experience anyway - it sounds as if you have tried that... :(

PS. When USB support arrives, ReactOS may become usable for you in a very limited sense, ie. some apps may work, ReactOS will still be unstable but some of what you want to do may eventually work. Just be aware that initially hardware support will be very sketchy.
Yes as I said I was on the phone with MS for weeks and although they said that my situation with the drivers should not have occurred, and they were trying to help me, every time I installed the driver for the video card I lost activation. The last experiment per their instruction was to try and get everything installed before activation but by the time I installed Windows again the hard drive failed mechanically so I decided to forget it.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

When I get upset about something I vent my anger to a wider audience.

http://lightquick.co.uk/windows-10-is-a ... Itemid=252

Windows has been a crock of 'it' for a while but even though it infuriates it is still so usable and in many ways so useful. Your search for an alternative brought you to ReactOS just as mine did, unfortunately, we have to accept windows in all its undoubted strengths (and weaknesses) and in the meantime, hope for ReactOS - or should it be - pray for ReactOS?
val

Post by val »

the entire idea of being a "replacement" is a joke. switching on your thinking process would uncover this to you immediately, even if its capabilty is moderate. xD
if you feel such hatred to MS or their products, you are better off to not use them. it might be brain damaging for you to keep using what you hate so strong. just look at some commenters here.

and also, my thoughts about the community "mission". you can not make something if you don't love it. especially when it goes to such complex things as OS is. right?
it's funny to see how much hatred towards Windows here is expressed, still you are kinda trying to become a "replacement". oh well, as it is said everyone goes crazy their way.
of course, it will never become not even a competitor for Windows. but the point is, if the community would love what they are doing, they even didn't have such a goal. they would be doing their OS just because they would love to do so. it would always be not as Windows, but still it would have its usage, its userbase, its fanboys. like for exampke BSDs have.
unix clones got made exactly this way, their creators loved that unix-thing, unix-style, unix-phylosophy and other unix shit))) and loved to code and so they created their analogs. because of love, not moronic zealotry.
if you don't have passion about NT and all you have is fanatic zealotry, all you gonna produce is shit running from you as again seen in this thread on some commenters.
but the very main thing is if the community wants to be viable and relevant, it should definitely get rid off of ruSSian things involvment. this is the worst thing you ever could do for your project - to let those morons take their noses into it. you don't care about all the evil that Mordor has done, it's understandable, they ruined not your cities, they killed not your citizens, they turned into hell not your life. but letting ruSSia into your project is like drinking cholera contaminated water, it's the way into hell, straight where the Mordor is moving to with accelaration. you should get rid off of it, just because of egoistic reasons, following all the "european values". sooner or later, everything ruSSia related will be met like plague. the same way as nazi germany related. for whom reactos will be "a Windows replacement" then? for russia's vatniks? they're gonna get into Haag tribunal as the worst criminals against humanity. this is not what you wanna be related to. but seems you don't understand this. no wonder, history teaches that it never teaches...
but then i remember, you've gotta think about yourselves as a Windows replacement... the sponsors worth the goals.
i am in no way mentoring or teaching somebody, i just returned here again, to see the same, and couldn't this time stop myself from expressing my thoughts. it's only my thoughts, you are not obligated listen to them.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Oh dear! This thread has suddenly degenerated into a total load of bollocks.

Moderator please remove the ungramattical drivel that man (possibly American and ignorant - no slur on Americans ) just spouted.

I'm not sure which was worse though, the total grammar failure or the appalling sentiment expressed so badly within. The grammar on its own deserved the man a ban.
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

val wrote:the entire idea of being a "replacement" is a joke. switching on your thinking process would uncover this to you immediately, even if its capability is moderate. xD
if you feel such hatred to MS or their products, you are better off to not use them. it might be brain damaging for you to keep using what you hate so strong. just look at some commenters here.

but then i remember, you've gotta think about yourselves as a Windows replacement... the sponsors worth the goals.
i am in no way mentoring or teaching somebody, i just returned here again, to see the same, and couldn't this time stop myself from expressing my thoughts. it's only my thoughts, you are not obligated listen to them.
First, most don't hate Windows. They might not be fond of Microsoft, or they are not fond of the defaults or implementation. One guy was just venting because his software was triggering Windows activation problems -- a problem that would be inherently impossible in ReactOS, as ROS will not have any DRM or activation schemes for itself. The idea of being a Windows replacement is not a joke. What we have is a lightweight replacement that is at least 80% operational already.

With all due respect, the accusations above sound like projection. I thought I saw this ID or similar before, and yet there is only 1 post showing from the poster. So I have a feeling if their current behavior matches their old, they will be trying to start another account soon after the moderators grow tired again. Coming back to our forum with the same behavior that got one banned in the first place seems to fit the definition of insanity, where one is doing the same thing the same way many times and expecting different results. And the text seems to even have an admission of being a returning banned member. If one cannot stop themselves from expressing thoughts that are disruptive to our endeavors, I am sure the moderators can.

ROS has pretty much always been predominantly a Russian and German endeavor. I see no harm or problems in this. I don't see why we should let bigotries like McCarthyism prevent us from using help from kind Russian citizens.