EPIC WIN!

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

LuxenDM

Re: EPIC WIN!

Post by LuxenDM »

Vendetta Online
0.4.1: installer thought it was corrupted
0.4.3: installs and updates, but looks weird
0.4.3, 2016/12/31 daily build: installs and updates completely fine.

This program is my favorite MMO, so sad it doesnt run under reactOS --- but thats the devs' fault (VO devs! not ROS devs!)
video of installation and update here
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Thx for sharing and yes you are right. Vendetta Online was built for NT6+ and thus makes such fuzz. With some tinkering it might work but the result would be bad stuff for other apps because the resulting chimera OS would not follow any of both arches anymore. I once had a similar one with OpenMW and added the implementation of kernel32_vista lib we have to kernel32 and BOOM worked.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
MugenFighter

Post by MugenFighter »

Open Mortal 0.7.1 (the last version of a dead unfinished open source clone of Mortal Kombat) works. Which is weird considering it won't work on Windows 8.1 or Windows 10. ReactOS for the win in that case.

Tested in VirtualBox with the lastest LiveCD.
I'm a MugenFighter, but not the one you are thinking about. I'm actually MugenFighterTube. Now don't ask about MugenFighter's characters.
MugenFighter

Post by MugenFighter »

Retro City Rampage 486 for MS-DOS works like a charm.

Tested in VirtualBox with the latest install CD.

I just thought it was interesting because that is a new commercial DOS game.

By the way, I made an install floppy image to test it with.
I'm a MugenFighter, but not the one you are thinking about. I'm actually MugenFighterTube. Now don't ask about MugenFighter's characters.
MugenFighter

Post by MugenFighter »

I just got C64 Forever and Amiga Forever to run with the same configuration (with CD/DVD images instead of floppies of course).
Reziac

Post by Reziac »

You folks are all way ahead of me here, but I finally got ROS to run for the very first time! so anything is exciting. :)

Using ReactOS-0.4.4-FOSDEM2017RC-Hybrid.iso installed on real hardware. Overall it's behaving well enough.

First weirdness was ... I ran these from a USB stick that is formatted NTFS. I didn't expect that to work at all. (I thought USB was spotty, and I thought ROS didn't have NTFS support yet. :?: )

Virtual Drive Manager 1.3.1 (this is fairly old, dated 2007)
the Load File dialog initially displayed blank, but some mousing around uncovered all its parts. It managed to start loading an ISO, but then hung (possibly because the ISO was almost 4GB).

CPU-Z 1.64.0 (dated 2013)
Fonts are all too big but readable. Otherwise worked perfectly through all 7 tabs, until I tried to return to the CPU tab, at which point it appeared to be caught in a loop (rapid redisplay of the AMD icon, everything else blanked).

Everest Ultimate 5.50 (portable edition, dated 2010)
Main program worked perfectly, looked perfect, and all benchmarks worked.
Report component worked except that it stalled when it got to the section for Physical Drives, until I took the forgotten CD out of the CD drawer, then it continued on normally and wrote the complete report. On quickly skimming through it (hundreds of items) the report appears to have no errors or fails.
Reziac

Post by Reziac »

Today's successes -- these are mostly being run from a USB stick that's an old backup of an everyday system, so there's a lot of stuff. Since network is not working, any browser tests are on local files. Not all those marked as portable are intended to be portable apps, but have found a lot of 'em tolerate being dragged from one system to the next without a proper install.

{browser} Chrome 4.0.x (portable) -- seems to run fine, tho it can't read a file from disk so hard to test.
Chrome Loader (portable; overlays a German interface on Chrome) seems to run fine.

{browser} SeaMonkey 2.9 with PrefBar 6.x (plugin) -- runs fine. Lots of weird errors in menu text (extra, wrong, and missing characters), but everything I looked at seemed to work.

{browser} PaleMoon 12.1 (portable) with PrefBar 1.x (plugin) -- runs fine, with same menu text errors as SeaMonkey.

{browser} Off By One 3.4a (portable) -- runs fine, no visible problems.

{browser} Dillo 3.0 (portable) -- runs fine, no visible problems.

{DOOM level generator} Oblige 3.57 (portable) -- runs fine, tho nodebuilder component is very slow.

{DOOM level generator} ObHack 0.7.3 (portable; fork of Oblige) -- runs fine, tho stalls when screensaver comes on (recovers once desktop comes back). Nodebuilder ran MUCH faster, which I don't understand since AFAIK they use the same one.

{font manager} Bitstream Font Navigator 2.0 (portable; given this version works, 3.0 and 5.0 should as well since they're functionally identical) -- finds, catalogs, and displays fonts fine, but doesn't think any fonts are installed.

{registry scrubber} EasyCleaner 2.0 (portable; best of class, freeware http://personal.inet.fi/business/toniarts/ecleane.htm ) -- seems to run fine, tho I've not yet vetted what it wants to nuke. (However in 15 years using it on Win95 thru XP, I've never seen it make a mistake.)

{defragger} VOpt 9.x installs, and the "disk cleanup" component runs, but the defragger component can't see the disk.

{media} VLC 2.0.0 (portable) -- loads very slowly. Opened a JPG, displayed it fine, but then got stuck at 100% CPU and had to kill it in Task Manager.

{media} WinAmp 2.6 (portable) -- seems to run fine, tho as system audio is not working I couldn't truly test it. Looks a little goofy, like the fonts aren't quite right.
{media} WinAmp 2.9 (portable) -- hangs. I don't understand this as there's no real difference between them, other than support for a FLAC plugin. Need to try it again with plugins disabled.

{media} CDex 1.51 (this isn't supposed to be portable, but...) -- complains "You must install an ASPI driver in order to use CDex" but the interface came up anyway. W/o ASPI it cannot see CDROM drive, but rest of program looks intact. Configuration menu dropdowns all show garbage characters -- this seems to be a common issue.

{graphics} Paint Shop Pro 7.02 (sorta portable -- just copied to the USB stick, not properly installed). First time it whined about config issues, but 2nd try it seemed to run fine, far as I checked. Loaded a .BMP and let me muck about with it. All the titles on component control boxes, and all the dropdowns in those boxes, display garbage characters.

A word on those garbage characters: I also tried to install CorelDraw 8.0 (which didn't work) and setup displayed garbage in the same way. I know CorelDraw was coded in Watcom C, and I suspect PSP was also. I don't know about CDex. Not sure if this might be a common factor, maybe someone can check against a test program built in OpenWatcom? Is there a common Windows system font that is missing in ROS?

{filemanager} Explorer++ (portable) -- installed, and initially ran perfectly, but after using it for a while, it hung. 2nd time I ran it, it griped about "could not clean up tempfiles" and hung. After that it wouldn't run at all.

{hex viewer} Vern Buerg's LIST v9.0e -- this is a 16bit DOS app. It runs in the command prompt window, and all its control and navigation keys work normally, but it cannot see the disk.

{UUencoder} UUDeview32 (portable) -- all the controls, menus, and dropdowns display garbage, but the program still works perfectly, and produced a good test encoding that decoded correctly in WinRAR.

{file compression} WinRAR 4.x (portable) -- works perfectly, no issues or problems whatsoever.

{viewer} Acrobat Reader 6.0 (from USB stick, not installed): Loaded to the point where it starts loading plugins, then hung. I'm amazed it got that far; normally it doesn't tolerate being dragged around at all.

{file viewer} QuickView Plus 4.0 (portable) -- works fine. Normally it's used from the context menu, but here must be accessed via the notification area, where it works as expected.

{clipboard} Clipomatic (portable) -- worked fine far as I checked; behaved normally in the notification area.

{rich text editor} RoughDraft 3.0 -- this wanted to run, but refused because there is no printer installed, and I don't see any way to install one. I tried attaching a parallel port printer but it was not seen. (Don't have a USB printer handy.)

{text editor} EditPad Lite v5.something (portable) -- runs fine, no issues. By design it closes to the systray, which also works correctly.

{text editor} Funduc Search & Replace 6.2 -- installed and appears to run normally, tho I had nothing for it to do.

{Microsoft Office} Frontpage 2003 -- installs fine, and runs fine until you click anything that is a button like OK or SAVE, or try to load a file from or save to disk -- then the program closes.

{website management} Xenu Linkchecker (portable) -- works fine far as I could test on local disk.

{FTP} WS_FTP 6.0 (portable) -- works fine far as I could check w/o network.

{FTP} GetLeft (portable) -- runs, can't test w/o network.

{FTP} GetRight 6.5 -- installs, and sort of runs (systray component loads, and interface will partly display, but then locks up with 100% CPU). Uninstaller would not complete from the Start menu, but worked from the excellent Apps Manager. However, this seems to have caused a strange error when I try to shut down -- "ERROR PRIVILEGE NOT HELD" tho otherwise everything seems to work as well as it ever did.

Well, that was a lot of EPIC WINS! before I managed to break it. :D
dark

Post by dark »

Reziac wrote: Since network is not working, any browser tests are on local files.
If it's virtual box, try changing the motherboard chipset under system, and then the network adapter if that still doesn't work. Looks like the default selections in newer versions of virtualbox aren't supported at the moment. (maybe the virtualbox additions iso will install the correct drivers.)
Reziac

Post by Reziac »

Nope, it's on real hardware, I forgot to mention that but it's in the next message up. I haven't worked with VirtualBox (that's on the agenda when I get the "new" frankenputer finished up) but I do have a spare PC that ROS seems to like well enough.

Today's fun:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=16257
Is a successful (almost perfect) ROS/XP dual boot an EPIC WIN? :D

Using ReactOS-0.4.4-FOSDEM2017RC-Hybrid.iso installed on real hardware.

While I have this dual boot to play with, might as well see what from WinXP will run on ROS:

WinXP EXECUTABLES:

Notepad -- mostly works. I can type text into it and save a file. However after I save a file, the workspace goes blank and I can no longer type into it. Distinguishable from ROS Notepad because the Help menu is different.

write.exe apparently calls the wordpad.exe that's on the path, and up comes Wine Wordpad. But at least it works.

XP's wordpad.exe (from \system32\dllcache\ ) -- works perfectly.

Windows Media Player 9 -- loads but hangs during startup, probably looking for nonexistent audio driver.

Windows Movie Maker -- loads but whines about nonexistent audio driver, then exits. I sense a theme.

Bluetooth Transfer Wizard (fsquirt.exe) -- this loads and runs, but gripes that it can't perform the transfer due to missing DLLs.

Freecell card game -- works perfectly, far as I checked (didn't try to save a game).

Private Character Editor (eudcedit.exe) -- seems to work correctly (not sure since I didn't know this existed til just now).

Dr.Watson (drwtsn32) gripes about missing USER32.DLL, but the interface comes up. Then it whines that the specified path cannot be found. I'd guess if it were run with all the body parts it expects, it would probably work.

Winhlp32.exe -- I am not positive if ROS's version or XP's version came up, but run from XP, if you don't feed it a file, it exits, while run from ROS, if you don't feed it a file, it stays up.

mspaint.exe -- runs and works, but buttons are all messed up. (Which is how you can tell it from ROS Paint, which looks normal.)

mobsync.exe -- apparently a synchronization utility, I don't know for what; appears to work, but tells me "there are no items to synchronize".

Network Access Protection (napstat.exe) -- this appears to work; at least it loads into systray and comes up on demand, tho I'm not sure what it's supposed to do. Loading and unloading it a couple times made File Explorer stop displaying filenames, then ROS locked up.

charmap.exe and calc.exe appear to be intercepted by ROS as what runs don't look like the XP versions.

{console app} EDIT.COM -- loads a bit slow, but works perfectly.

{console app} TREE.COM -- works perfectly and the screen output is reasonably fast.

CMD.EXE -- brings up a console window, but apparently intercepted by and runs ROS's command interpreter.

Stuff that didn't work at all simply didn't come up, or immediately threw an exception and exited.

I have to say, intercepting a filename being run from a different location (that is, putting the system path ahead of the user's choice of directory) is not standard behavior, and can make it hard to be sure which version runs. I *think* ROS was intercepting .CPL files too, as the Hardware Wizard and a couple others came up.
hbelusca
Developer

Post by hbelusca »

Preview: Excel and Word 2010 running on ReactOS r73869:
[ external image ]
This needs:
- at least ReactOS r73868,
- Windows build of Samba v3.0.23c that can be found at http://smithii.com/samba ; you need to follow exactly its installation steps, and in particular, copy the files in "C:\Program Files\samba". See commit log of revision 73868 for some details. Samba is needed for basic NTLM support, as a temporary way until we get a proper support.
Swyter
Location: Spain ← Europe ← Planet Earth ← Milky Way ← Universe

Post by Swyter »

Tremendous job, Hermes. This is huge news, it will make waves once everything is in place.
External patch contributor for ux/user-mode/l10n/winapi. Sometimes I fix a bit of everything everywhere.
Reziac

Post by Reziac »

hbelusca wrote:Preview: Excel and Word 2010 running on ReactOS r73869:
This needs:
- Windows build of Samba v3.0.23c that can be found at http://smithii.com/samba ; you need to follow exactly its installation steps, and in particular, copy the files in "C:\Program Files\samba". See commit log of revision 73868 for some details. Samba is needed for basic NTLM support, as a temporary way until we get a proper support.
Oh, that is interesting. I wonder if this would make FrontPage 2003 work right. (It installed and ran fine otherwise, but ask it to save or open a file, basically anything that touches the HD, and it would instantly exit.)
ctasan

Post by ctasan »

Reziac wrote:
hbelusca wrote:Preview: Excel and Word 2010 running on ReactOS r73869:
This needs:
Oh, that is interesting. I wonder if this would make FrontPage 2003 work right. (It installed and ran fine otherwise, but ask it to save or open a file, basically anything that touches the HD, and it would instantly exit.)
That is not related to get Office 2010 working. You'll need to file a bug report in JIRA.
ReactOS Community Changelogs | Admin of ReactOS Official Twitter Account | Admin of ReactOS Turkish Twitter Account @reactos_tr
MugenFighter

Post by MugenFighter »

QV Pro 2.61 (a MS-DOS/FreeDOS media player) starts up and attempted to play a video, but the result was that it skipped almost all frames and took a couple of seconds to update the frame. Basically a normal video ended up looking like a slide show of random frames. Minor win I guess.

Edit: It might have something to do with the memory of the virtual machine I was using, but I don't know.
Reziac

Post by Reziac »

DOS media player shouldn't require much RAM, and almost certainly not more than 16mb (the practical limit of DOS extenders of the day). But I've noticed that even for trivial tasks, ROS sometimes uses 100% of CPU and takes a long time to get past it, such as loading a file larger than about 32k into ROS-Notepad. What does ROS Task Manager say about this player's CPU use? I'll bet it's spiking at 100%.