USB Boot Fixed

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

reactosuser7

USB Boot Fixed

Post by reactosuser7 »

When will USB Booting be fixed?

According to
ReactOS's Witnesses (Telegram) chat
said that version 0.4.4 could have it fixed,or a first step to fixed it.

One chat member:
Could be version 0.4.4 be released al least on 31 december 2016?
Another chat member:
Only possible if somebody will fix usb boot next week
ROCKNROLLKID

Re: USB Boot Fixed

Post by ROCKNROLLKID »

The answer to this is the same answer that many of us have told you in other posts: there is no due dates. It will get done when it is done. It COULD be done in .4.4 or something could happen last minute that might make it push it's release date.

I, too, am waiting for full USB support and I am sure many others are too, but we have to be patient and let them work.
middings

Post by middings »

All talk of future dates and releases are hopes, wishes, and good intentions. The ReactOS project makes no promises about dates for releases nor features in releases.

The ReactOS project currently intends to make releases about every three months. For the past year, the ReactOS project has made one release every three months. The most recent release build, 0.4.3, was released 16 November 2016. I do not expect the next release, 0.4.4, to be available any earlier than late January of 2017.
vgal

Post by vgal »

ReactOS - Windows-compatible operating system. Is it possible to boot Windows from USB?
middings

Post by middings »

I have never installed Windows XP from a USB disk or thumb drive.
curiousone

Post by curiousone »

vgal wrote:ReactOS - Windows-compatible operating system. Is it possible to boot Windows from USB?
Yes, although it is probably not for us mere mortals.

I have installed an 'off-line' version of windows defender to flash drive in the past and used it to check suspect systems by booting completely from the flash drive.

In fact, that version would boot on some gateway (brand) machines (circa 2009-2010) that I have not succeeded in booting (puppy) linux versions from a flash drive.
vgal

Post by vgal »

Well, I am paraphrasing more specifically.
Is it possible to boot officially (not modified) Windows 2003 (or XP) from USB?
If not, then it will not be a standard feature. And for this special will have to make changes in the kernel RoS.
jimtabor
Developer

Post by jimtabor »

vgal

Post by vgal »

Hm, rufus is not included in the Windows distribution.
If I'm not mistaken, he uses own boot loader and has access to the USB bus itself.
I'm talking about "clean" boot. Only the official means of MS.
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

Trying not to hijack this, I am curious as to when the USB code in the GSOC branch will be completed and merged. For a number of cases, bad USB driver code is a big part of why ROS won't work on real HW. That is where it often hangs at. Vardan worked on the 1.x and hub support, but due to the conclusion of the GSOC and college, he hadn't had the time to go any farther. It seems that if the code is as good as the tests indicated, then merging it in would make ROS run on more machines.
vgal

Post by vgal »

Rufus FAQ:
Unfortunately, and unlike what is the case for later versions of Windows, the XP installation process was never designed by Microsoft to be USB compatible. This means that one of the first things an "XP-from-USB" installer application does, including Rufus, is to try to apply some kind of workaround to the XP installation process. For instance, some XP USB installers use a virtual optical drive emulation layer; others try to modify the installation files, etc.
curiousone

Post by curiousone »

vgal wrote:Well, I am paraphrasing more specifically.
Is it possible to boot officially (not modified) Windows 2003 (or XP) from USB?
If not, then it will not be a standard feature. And for this special will have to make changes in the kernel RoS.
Well, that defender version is microsoft provided, and the boot window splash seems similar to Win7.

But, that aside, even XP boots at least enough to request an installation. I've just tried it with an XP SP2 install disk and it will boot (text mode) to the point of asking about what I want to do, setup, repair, or quit.

This is from a USB cd/dvd drive on an Acer netbook.

I am not currently able to reach any similar point with either the livecd or bootcd on the same hardware (locally built from reactos svn r73488) .

Both reach point and seem to get past loading boot drivers, then, bootcd (one try only) leaves screen blank and seems hung,
while livecd (several tries) reaches a point at KDB prompt (having logged to screen) with last item at top of screen indicating ZwOpenFile failure for \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\vbemp.sys with status 0xc000003a at sysldr.c:3025 (which is STATUS_OBJECT_PATH_NOT_FOUND), although vbemp.sys is to be found on the disk when viewed from windows. Previously that was top line, but last try there is a msg just before about pnpmgr.c:4059 IRP_MN_QUERY_DEVICE_STATE failed with status 0xc00000bb, which I haven't looked up yet.

I think ROS needs to boot from usb enough to at least install.
middings

Post by middings »

curiousone wrote:I think ROS needs to boot from usb enough to at least install.
Many people have asked for the ability to install ReactOS from a USB device. However at this time the developer team members have chosen to give their attention to other features of ReactOS.
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

Personally, I think this should be made possible so ReactOS can run on more modern machines. You cannot even buy new floppy drives and controllers anymore. I know how it is for the optical media to fail as well.
vgal

Post by vgal »

For installation RoS from BootUSB also necessary to solve the "Problem with PnP Manager (Enumerate Devices)" - viewtopic.php?f=9&t=14377&p=124705#p124705

On ReactOS JIRA there is ticket:
ReactOS does not boot from a USB flash drive - https://jira.reactos.org/browse/CORE-7826