ReactOS VM...

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

MugenFighter

ReactOS VM...

Post by MugenFighter »

I got a lot of adware from browsing the web that I just removed, and it got me thinking, is there any reason why I can't use ReactOS in its current state as a replacement VM for Windows to keep my PC safer from adware while browsing the web.
I'm a MugenFighter, but not the one you are thinking about. I'm actually MugenFighterTube. Now don't ask about MugenFighter's characters.
ROCKNROLLKID

Re: ReactOS VM...

Post by ROCKNROLLKID »

It's not recommended in it's current state. If you do, it is on your own risk then. What do you use your PC for?

I also wonder if any Windows malware work on ReactOS. I have been in the AV industry for many years now, so I could gather some malware samples and test it out. I know some AVs are working on ReactOS, too, so if it ever becomes a problem, you have a backup plan with it.
MugenFighter

Post by MugenFighter »

ROCKNROLLKID wrote:It's not recommended in it's current state. If you do, it is on your own risk then. What do you use your PC for?

I also wonder if any Windows malware work on ReactOS. I have been in the AV industry for many years now, so I could gather some malware samples and test it out. I know some AVs are working on ReactOS, too, so if it ever becomes a problem, you have a backup plan with it.
I was just thinking that ReactOS is free and VMs tend to be safer than using a computer without using one since it tends to be act as separate machine. Oh well thanks for the info.
I'm a MugenFighter, but not the one you are thinking about. I'm actually MugenFighterTube. Now don't ask about MugenFighter's characters.
ROCKNROLLKID

Post by ROCKNROLLKID »

Well you could use it on a VM, but there are still lots of things missing on it and still lots of software that don't work on ReactOS. You can always try and see if the software you use runs on ReactOS.
MugenFighter

Post by MugenFighter »

ROCKNROLLKID wrote:Well you could use it on a VM, but there are still lots of things missing on it and still lots of software that don't work on ReactOS. You can always try and see if the software you use runs on ReactOS.
Yeah I understand. May I ask how browser support is?
ROCKNROLLKID

Post by ROCKNROLLKID »

Firefox runs on it OK right now. Chrome/Chromium has some issues and doesn't run. ReactOS comes with a Wine version of IE, but it's pretty much a empty shell right now. I don't know about Midori or Safari.
milon

Post by milon »

I haven't tried recently, but last year I had excellent success with running K-Meleon (http://kmeleonbrowser.org/) on ReactOS using a VBox setup. It's an open-source Gecko browser, and the browser I used to use exclusively on Windows 2000 (I'm a chrome fanboy now, lol).
SteveB

Post by SteveB »

I'm currently trialing ReactOS on a QEMU VM under CentOS 6.7 with a Spice (as opposed to VNC) Display. The configuration of the VM is as follows;

CPUs: (1) (AMD FX 8350)
RAM: 3072MB
HDD: 80GB Emulated IDE
CD ROM: Emulated IDE

I gotta say, It looks really good! Reactos only complains about the Audio drivers for the VM, selecting ach6 , ac97, or es1370 does nothing, but it's a VM, I don't care about audio.
Fraizeraust

Post by Fraizeraust »

Bear in mind that ReactOS is based on Windows NT self-built kernel. That means certain malware can potentially work at half in the ReactOS system, including some adware. Albeit it won't certainly affect badly the whole system because many features aren't implemented yet, ReactOS can mimic the behaviour of some malware and their payload. Safe browsing and extreme caution are always a must.
a.k.a. GeoB99 -- ReactOS Kernel developer -- My Wiki page