GreenteaOS ReactOS fork: any thougts about that project?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

unxed

GreenteaOS ReactOS fork: any thougts about that project?

Post by unxed »

https://github.com/GreenteaOS/Greentea/ ... Roadmap.md

OS Greentea is based on ReactOS™ project. ReactOS™ is an Open Source effort to develop a quality operating system that is compatible with applications and drivers written for the Microsoft® Windows™ NT family of operating systems (NT4, 2000, XP, 2003, Vista, Seven).

This project is done by a broad variety of people. To discuss legal issues contact ReactOS Foundation organization.

Not planned features

This project started as a controversy to undefined future (and past) of ReactOS project. Our team decided to define precise list of the most useful features to the wide audiences. Features, like ARM support, aren't really useful in any real manner, as already showed Windows RT. Features, like LPT printing (recently done in ReactOS project), has so small applicability (LPT ports in 2016 anyone?), so can't be considered in any manner real target for Greentea OS team and use case for our users. Also, multiply that by a enormous number of bugs, hacks and workarounds, which we should fix now, to at least make NT kernel non-academic project! And then improve the NT and WinAPI implementations, the real things. Otherwise it is a waste of time.
Aeneas

Re: GreenteaOS ReactOS fork: any thougts about that project?

Post by Aeneas »

Being FOSS, ReactOS OBVIOUSLY can be reused by third parties, so that in itself is not an issue. HOWEVER:

"This project is done by a broad variety of people. To discuss legal issues contact ReactOS Foundation organization."
- This statement sounds as if anybody shall contact _us_ in order to clarify _their_ legal issues. It should be clear that this is not the case.

"This project started as a controversy to undefined future (and past) of ReactOS project. Our team decided to define precise list of the most useful features to the wide audiences."
- This is (i) crappy English (not exactly contributing to the perception of seriousness of any project whatsoever) and (ii) "objectively", there is no "controversy" within ReactOS. Basically, ReactOS sails where its devs want to, and listens to the useful instigations of its community (an example being the much improved second fundraiser as well as the "Epic Win" thread). It is an already rather renowned project which from "why would anybody want that" has slowly transgressed into "Wow! It looks great already!".

My opinion:

ignore them. I am sure we wish every FOSS developer good luck with his or her endeavours. But there is no advantage, in my opinion, in investing resources into THIS.
unxed

Post by unxed »

Aeneas wrote:
My opinion:

ignore them. I am sure we wish every FOSS developer good luck with his or her endeavours. But there is no advantage, in my opinion, in investing resources into THIS.
But if they plan to fix some winapi/kernel code, why not backport some their code for ReactOS to benefit from that work?

Look, ffmpeg backports most of libav improvements, and that's ok for both projects.
gonzoMD

Post by gonzoMD »

On their website I read the name Nicolo Altamura what makes me not to know if I should laugh or cry...
:lol: :cry:
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

You just caused a drama @ #reactos. Are you happy now? Well, sad that you were not there tbh ^^
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
PeyTy

Post by PeyTy »

Guys, please, stop abusing Nico. He joined to just do Italian translation and website markup. Your behavior is just makes that ReactOS is "Just for fun and abuse".
gonzoMD

Post by gonzoMD »

EmuandCo wrote:You just caused a drama @ #reactos. Are you happy now? Well, sad that you were not there tbh ^^
I hope you have some logs for me.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Abuse?
He tried to actively harm our project and I don't care if that due to missing knowledge or happened willingly. He had three chances and did the same again and again in here, in Jira and on IRC Chat. Feel free to keep him for translations as I said to you yesterday @IRC but be careful.

Greetings to him, he is and never more will be welcome here!
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
unxed

Post by unxed »

I just think that no project should ignore criticism regardless of identity of criticist.

If there are argumented answers to such critics, why not to put them in public, at least to prevent confusion for those who are not familiar with the internals of ReactOS project.
middings

Post by middings »

The description of the ReactOS Project at the GreenteaOS git appears harsh. The harsh words are probably unintended. I blame the poor quality of the translated text. The GreenteaOS goals seem ambitious. Let's watch and wait. Linus Torvalds once said, "Talk is cheap. Show me the code."
zlm1229

Post by zlm1229 »

middings wrote:The description of the ReactOS Project at the GreenteaOS git appears harsh. The harsh words are probably unintended. I blame the poor quality of the translated text. The GreenteaOS goals seem ambitious. Let's watch and wait. Linus Torvalds once said, "Talk is cheap. Show me the code."

I honestly believe GTOS could be a great thing... However after using it, there is an iso available on the GitHub site they use, I have no faith in that Distro. It is clearly built on an earlier version of ROS, perhaps version, 0.3.5ish, with a few backported patches, the theme they use is fairly decent one however, as a Distro itself, it can't possibly last long. I genuinely hope they do succeed, ReactOS is now 2 decades old, and is trying to allow compatibility with an OS that is now legally an adult in many countries. Maybe GTOS and their GTFS is the new touch the OS community needs, or maybe GTOS is just a shameless clone, and is there because it can, only time will tell
ROCKNROLLKID

Post by ROCKNROLLKID »

zlm1229 wrote:
middings wrote:The description of the ReactOS Project at the GreenteaOS git appears harsh. The harsh words are probably unintended. I blame the poor quality of the translated text. The GreenteaOS goals seem ambitious. Let's watch and wait. Linus Torvalds once said, "Talk is cheap. Show me the code."

I honestly believe GTOS could be a great thing... However after using it, there is an iso available on the GitHub site they use, I have no faith in that Distro. It is clearly built on an earlier version of ROS, perhaps version, 0.3.5ish, with a few backported patches, the theme they use is fairly decent one however, as a Distro itself, it can't possibly last long. I genuinely hope they do succeed, ReactOS is now 2 decades old, and is trying to allow compatibility with an OS that is now legally an adult in many countries. Maybe GTOS and their GTFS is the new touch the OS community needs, or maybe GTOS is just a shameless clone, and is there because it can, only time will tell
Old thread dude.

But while we are back on the subject, you are right, the ReactOS fork they used started with was .3.17 and they never did any direct sync, but rather merged individual commits from ReactOS as they saw fit, put their names on the headers, then released a version higher then ReactOS so they can seem like they are better and ore stable then ReactOS is. It started as a 3 person project, but one of them left last year leaving only 2. The 2 left seem like they have no clue how an OS works and they have only ever been working on documentation and making their website look pretty. Oh and that Filesystem you said was really nice is literally just Fat32 that they, once again, took from ReactOS, modified a little and called it their own filesystem. Oh and the 2 remaining developers is like talking to a wall (I know because I have tried talking to them myself).

Anyways, the project is pretty dead and the 2 developers left have hardly done any work to it.
hbelusca
Developer

Post by hbelusca »

zlm1229 wrote:Maybe GTOS and their GTFS is the new touch the OS community needs, or maybe GTOS is just a shameless clone, and is there because it can, only time will tell
Well, GTFS is just FAT32 rebranded, so.... it says long about what they do. :D
Rosh

Post by Rosh »

GreenteaOS official Telegram chat (https://t.me/greenteaos_en ) disappear.
That could mean this project is discontinued. :?:
Rosh

Post by Rosh »

We should admit that the name " GreenteaOS " and .msstyle used are original. ;)