Switch to PlayOnLinux or Q4Wine?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

ROCKNROLLKID

Switch to PlayOnLinux or Q4Wine?

Post by ROCKNROLLKID »

I was just wondering, when ReactOS gets closer to stable releases, do you think we could switch to PlayOnLinux or Q4Wine instead of Wine Staging? Both of them are more simplified, easy to use, and have GUI, so it would be better and easier for Windows users.

PlayOnLinux: https://www.playonlinux.com

Q4Wine: http://q4wine.brezblock.org.ua/
Pi_User5

Re: Switch to PlayOnLinux or Q4Wine?

Post by Pi_User5 »

ROCKNROLLKID wrote:I was just wondering, when ReactOS gets closer to stable releases, do you think we could switch to PlayOnLinux or Q4Wine instead of Wine Staging? Both of them are more simplified, easy to use, and have GUI, so it would be better and easier for Windows users.

PlayOnLinux: https://www.playonlinux.com

Q4Wine: http://q4wine.brezblock.org.ua/
Do you even have any idea on how we use WINE for this project?

Read this: https://reactos.org/wiki/Wine
I use ReactOS on real hardware. Will you? My Computers: https://www.reactos.org/wiki/PC_ROS_Rigs Go all the way to the bottom.

[ external image ]
ROCKNROLLKID

Post by ROCKNROLLKID »

Yes, I know what you use Wine for. Maybe you could have Wine Staging for development and PlayOnLinux or Q4Wine for the average users?
middings

Post by middings »

I am puzzled. What would be the purpose of PlayOnLinux or Q4Wine on a Microsoft Windows system?
WorldBlender

Post by WorldBlender »

Both PlayOnLinux and Q4Wine are frontends for Wine that help simplify usage of it, such as making multiple prefixes or giving the user a list of programs to install. Since individual Wine components are used in ReactOS, either of those two frontends will not work here.
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

We have our own Explorer, and we have RAPPs for installing programs. Besides, users can install programs the same as they would on Windows. So there's no need for any frontend. Wine is used under the hood, and the users just get a familiar Windows interface.
ROCKNROLLKID

Post by ROCKNROLLKID »

Well the reason behind it is what WorldBlender said, to make Wine more simplified and easier to use. I am not sure about Q4Wine, but I know for sure on POL, you can sync Wine staging with it.

ReactOS isn't going to be able to keep up with Windows all the time, so using Wine as a secondary compatibility layer would be a good idea and to make it more simplified for average use, POL is a good way to go.

But anyways, I guess I got an answer that said this wouldn't be possible to do anyways.
middings

Post by middings »

ROCKNROLLKID wrote:Well the reason behind it is what WorldBlender said, to make Wine more simplified and easier to use.
Wine on Linux is not the same as Selected Pieces of Wine on a ReactOS kernel.
I am not sure about Q4Wine, but I know for sure on POL, you can sync Wine staging with it.
One certainly couldn't sync Wine staging with ReactOS using Play on Linux (POL) without breaking ReactOS. Perhaps what you really want is an easy way to update an existing ReactOS installation. Many of us have that wish.
ReactOS isn't going to be able to keep up with Windows all the time...
Keeping up became easier for the ReactOS Project when Microsoft quit the race by ending all extended support for Microsoft Windows XP and Microsoft Server 2003. Windows 7 is similarly unlikely to change, Microsoft ended mainstream support for it.
ROCKNROLLKID

Post by ROCKNROLLKID »

As you say. Well it was worth a shot anyways.
middings

Post by middings »

The only truly dumb questions are the ones never voiced.
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

ROCKNROLLKID wrote:Well the reason behind it is what WorldBlender said, to make Wine more simplified and easier to use. I am not sure about Q4Wine, but I know for sure on POL, you can sync Wine staging with it.

ReactOS isn't going to be able to keep up with Windows all the time, so using Wine as a secondary compatibility layer would be a good idea and to make it more simplified for average use, POL is a good way to go.

But anyways, I guess I got an answer that said this wouldn't be possible to do anyways.
There's nothing to simplify. The Wine files that are used are integrated and the rest of ROS is the frontend. It is already the same as using Windows and no harder to use then Windows (in the parts that work properly).

We don't have to keep up with Windows. All the old software and drivers still exist. But, we might need drivers for ROS to work properly on newer PCs.
erkinalp

Post by erkinalp »

But, we might need drivers for ROS to work properly on newer PCs.
Kolibri team might help that. KolibriOS has to implement all drivers from scratch as it has a custom API.
-uses Ubuntu+GNOME 3 GNU/Linux
-likes Free (as in freedom) and Open Source Detergents
-favors open source of Windows 10 under GPL2