PortableROS

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

forart

PortableROS

Post by forart »

A really interesting website called PortableApps.com published the portable OpenOffice.
It would be great to see ReactOS in the OS section (if i remember well, someone has already done this)...
»Forward Agency NPO
In progress we (always) trust.
Baldomero

Post by Baldomero »

What about the drivers? that would mean that the portable ReactOS should have, at least, drivers for the most used SATA controllers and NET adapters integrated.
There is a good project that does this into a MS Win installation CD, so portable ReactOS could get help from that.
Jaix
Moderator Team

Re: PortableROS

Post by Jaix »

Patchworks wrote:A really interesting website called PortableApps.com published the portable OpenOffice.
It would be great to see ReactOS in the OS section (if i remember well, someone has already done this)...
I've been trying for a long time now to run the portable apps, but I havn't succeded, ROS doesn't start them, no errormessages, it just shuts the process down.
steveh

"portable" versus "live" Reactos?

Post by steveh »

I would say LiveCD IS a portable reactos, because it runs on any PC without install.

even user data can be saved because LiveCD booting recognizes any existing FAT16/32 partition.

There is only one minor problem:
ROS environment changes during use .... cannot be saved because "documents and settings" is on C:, means in the runtime image on CD.
What we would need then is either a "ROS on stick", or an option in LiveCD boot to delocalize "documents and settings" onto another partition (mandatory HDD or stick)

I suppose flexible "documents and settings" localization is more easy to implement than the whole bunch of USB functionality for storage media.

Even if i am pretty sure that this USB functionality will come. But i guess this will take some more time, maybe 0.3.x or 0.4.x or 0.5.x
menn

Post by menn »

if you run cmd.exe and type set temp=hd:\temp where hd is your hard drive letter (assuming you have a folder called temp as well) you can use that as long as cmd is open. i've read talk of a ramdrive but supposedly this works already- let us know.
FOSS="MY Computer"
drm="NOT My Computer" http://eff.org
Jaix
Moderator Team

Protable FireFox successfully run

Post by Jaix »

I have successfully run Portable FireFox on svn 20695, the build is very unstable and the firefox install did crash the machine on start but Portable FireFox worked well.
fdwhacker

Post by fdwhacker »

Download ROS in QEMU- no installation required. (But does require NT-based OS)
fdwhacker

Post by fdwhacker »

If the computer you're using is 9x-based, QEMU will not load. But, QEMU is not complete, so hopefully they will fix this.
GoBusto

Post by GoBusto »

fdwhacker wrote:If the computer you're using is 9x-based, QEMU will not load. But, QEMU is not complete, so hopefully they will fix this.
QEMU uses SDL, and it seems that SDL sometimes has some issues running on 9x systems. Perhaps SDL is the cause of the QEMU problems?