ReactOS Can't Detect a Hard Drive During Installation

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

philthethrill

Post by philthethrill »

I'm trying to install ReactOS on the VMware Workstation 12 Player. It says it couldn't detect a hard drive. I have a SATA drive installed on my Windows 10 computer. What do I have to do for it to be recognized?
karlexceed

Re: ReactOS Can't Detect a Hard Drive During Installation

Post by karlexceed »

I assume you created a virtual drive when you created the VM? What OS type did you choose when creating it?
philthethrill

Post by philthethrill »

I chose Linux because I found your operating system on classicdosgames.com, and in the description it said "a Linux implementation...called Wine...already existed when development began." I therefore assumed that I should pick Linux as the OS. There was no Wine option in the Version list, so I picked the default which is Ubuntu.
karlexceed

Post by karlexceed »

Ah; that's probably part of the issue then.

ROS is not Linux; it's a binary-compatible re-implementation of the NT architecture. Yes, ROS uses Wine code because the Wine team has spent a lot of time implementing Windows software and there's no sense in rewriting it for ROS when Wine is open source and available.

When VMware makes an Ubuntu VM, it creates the disks on a SCSI interface. What you should do instead is create your VM for Windows Server 2003 32 bit (which is what ROS is targeting for compatibility), as this will create the virtual disks on an IDE interface.

Give that a try and it should work.
philthethrill

Post by philthethrill »

I tried using Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition, and I get the same error message: "Setup could not find a harddisk."
DougLyons

Post by DougLyons »

Please review the VMware section of the Wiki here https://www.reactos.org/wiki/VMware.
Note that you should choose "Windows XP Professional" for your OS because this gives you an IDE drive which ReactOS supports.
Last edited by DougLyons on Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
erkinalp

Post by erkinalp »

SCSI and SATA are so widespread that ReactOS still lacking drivers poses an issue.
-uses Ubuntu+GNOME 3 GNU/Linux
-likes Free (as in freedom) and Open Source Detergents
-favors open source of Windows 10 under GPL2
philthethrill

Post by philthethrill »

I tried what you DougLyons said, and it worked. The new hardware wizard popped up and it wanted to install a new device driver for system device, but it couldn't find it. I thought installing VMWare Tools would solve the problem. I got an error message that said "The procedure entry point ?SetCHString@CInstance@@QAE_NPBGABVCHString@@@Z could not be located in the dynamic link library framedyn.dll."
philthethrill

Post by philthethrill »

The New Hardware Wizard is also trying to install a new device driver for multimedia audio device, but it can't find it.
philthethrill

Post by philthethrill »

I tried again to install VMWare tools, and I got another error message: The procedure entry point ??ICWbemGlueFactory@@QAE@XZ could not be located in the dynamic link library framedyn.dll.
DougLyons

Post by DougLyons »

The failure to install the two devices and the errors on VMware tools install are known issues with VMware.
Normally even with the errors the VMware tools function fairly well and you should be able to run ReactOS just fine.
philthethrill

Post by philthethrill »

Thanks DougLyons. Is there any way I can install and play CD games?
Pi_User5

Post by Pi_User5 »

philthethrill wrote:Thanks DougLyons. Is there any way I can install and play CD games?
Yeap. Mount the CD in the VM and run the installer. Whether or not the installer/game works is a completely different story.
I use ReactOS on real hardware. Will you? My Computers: https://www.reactos.org/wiki/PC_ROS_Rigs Go all the way to the bottom.

[ external image ]