Adding sound support to card games included in ReactOS

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Carlo Bramix

Adding sound support to card games included in ReactOS

Post by Carlo Bramix »

I would like to add some sound support to the card games included in ReactOS, at the moment limited to Solitaire and Spider.
Writing the required source code and posting it to JIRA as new feature is the easiest thing: my problem is that I was not able to find some decent sound effects like card flipping, folding, etc.
I tried to sample some sounds myself, but the result is quite horrible.
Could you help me to find some freeware sounds to be used for this purpose?

Thank you.
EmuandCo
Developer

Re: Adding sound support to card games included in ReactOS

Post by EmuandCo »

ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
manuel

Post by manuel »

+1
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

If you do that you're liable to substantially increase the size of the ISO downloads.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

We are talking about sizes way below 1MB here. Theres other stuff which is way bigger and way less useful right now in our ISOs
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
dsp8195

Post by dsp8195 »

Sane people use OGG Vorbis instead of wave in their OS nowadays. How huge is that in terms of filesize? As huge as 100 Kb for 10 seconds of 44100Hz 96kbps audio, which is more than enough for card samples.
Kargaroc586

Post by Kargaroc586 »

I wonder how small you could get the audio files with the Opus codec, which is supposed to have better compression than ogg vorbis.

And who says you need 44.1khz? For card sounds, you could get away with 12 or 24khz.
dsp8195

Post by dsp8195 »

You DON'T need 11/22kHz! They sound atrocious due to their nature, the way modern soundcards treat them is entirely different from when those were introduced. They actually sound better and have almost the same size when interpolated from 22kHz to 44100Hz (or encoded under 44100Hz from the very beginning).

Opus is too CPU-greedy. Vorbis can be decoded even on a Pentium 133 MHz and already sounds better than MP3 on any bitrate.