How can we help ReactOS?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Zutokaza

How can we help ReactOS?

Post by Zutokaza »

Hello,

Besides the obvious help.

1. Telling others about the project
2. Donating to the project
3. Testing for the project
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14759
4. Making cute mascots. I noticed a topic about that.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12756&start=120

What can we do for ReactOS? I am a programmer, but I am not familiar with much OS related stuff.

-Zuto
Swyter
Location: Spain ← Europe ← Planet Earth ← Milky Way ← Universe

Re: How can we help ReactOS?

Post by Swyter »

You can try to download and learn how to compile ReactOS, allowing you to do small changes by toying around with the source. Which forces you to explore JIRA and finally contribute stuff.
That's what I did when I was forced to make my own patch to fix a bug I reported... and it ended up being my kickstart to contribute many other things.

https://www.reactos.org/wiki/Development_Introduction
https://www.reactos.org/wiki/Submitting_Patches
https://www.reactos.org/wiki/Building_ReactOS

The wiki is very helpful, probably the best place in the ReactOS website.

PS: A tip, start really really small so that patches stop being daunting, one does not need to be a Xx_l337hax0r_xX to be of use, there's plenty of low-hanging fruit tasks for every level.

My recommendation, start by fixing typos in comments. Everybody can do that: https://git.reactos.org/?p=reactos.git& ... rep&s=alot
External patch contributor for ux/user-mode/l10n/winapi. Sometimes I fix a bit of everything everywhere.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

Unless you are a professional graphic artist with a portfolio of very competent designs and experience doing designs according to customer specifications, trying to do #4 does not help us in any way, shape, or form.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

z98 - you are Mr. Motivator today... :D
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

dizt3mp3r wrote:z98 - you are Mr. Motivator today... :D
Maybe so, but he's one of the voices of reason around here. I remember my experience trying to make a desktop background. I didn't take the criticism well at the time, but if I were to be honest, I wouldn't use my own creations. So there is a high bar to reach when you are doing anything graphical for ReactOS. Just because a parent might put it on a refrigerator doesn't mean it is commercial quality graphics.

So back to the mascots and plushies, if you are not production ready, then it is true it is of little use to this project. Sure, there might be some good will created in having a fan club that comes up with ideas, but the ideas are worthless unless someone makes them tangible. It is better that the focus be on the project itself and not some side point.

(If it were me, I'd enjoy having some Purple alien girl as a mascot, and I might want her to be a character in a novel I might want to write at some point, but I don't have her features nailed down in my mind. And what I described could be seen as a conflict of interest. And that's another consideration, that there be no conflicts or legal entanglements from any help offered.)
Zutokaza

Post by Zutokaza »

I said "we" and not "me," but some of the suggestions are quite nice. No plans on doing OS programming or graphics.

I am a game developer with many skills. I can make professional graphics, but do not have to the time for that right now because I have a lot of games to work on and personally I do not see how making mascots will really promote hardware capability. I think hardware is one of ReactOS's major issues besides favorite/popular windows software, but it has enough software working to do pro 2D work and encfs encryption. I have proven that 2D game development is possible with ReactOS with my testing post above.

I might try to find more software that use the same opensource libraries as the working software I tested because those have a higher chance of working. That means more software for ReactOS. Also, it means application programmers can make more working applications for ReactOS if they wanted until ReactOS has at least full WinXP compatibility.
hbelusca
Developer

Post by hbelusca »

PurpleGurl wrote:[...]If it were me, I'd enjoy having some Purple alien girl as a mascot[...]
Turanga Leela? :D :D
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

hbelusca wrote:
PurpleGurl wrote:[...]If it were me, I'd enjoy having some Purple alien girl as a mascot[...]
... is no Alien ^^
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
hbelusca
Developer

Post by hbelusca »

EmuandCo wrote:
hbelusca wrote:
... is no Alien ^^
Indeed :D We learn after that she's only a mutant human ^^
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

hbelusca wrote:
She's not Purple, just her hair.
MadWolf

Post by MadWolf »

hi if the ReactOS devs where serious about looking for a mascot then having concept art for the mascot can be useful so if the concept is chosen then it can be past to a professional graphic artist but it looks like the ReactOS devs do not want a mascot
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

I do want, but I am not a real dev ^^

I asked a skilled friend of mine to make one. Lets see ^^
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

That's the wrong approach to take. You don't give an artist a blank slate for proposals, you set down hard specifications that they need to fulfill, otherwise if what they come up with is not what you want or feel is usable, you run into potential personality issues wherein they get offended because you don't like their 'free' work. And if you do set down requirements, that robs motivation from artists unless they're getting paid. This is why I keep squashing the mascot ideas, until such time as the project decides to commit genuine resources to the effort, which includes multiple drawings, renderings, etc, we shouldn't be trying to haphazardly solicit 'ideas' or proposals because the chances that any random idea will fulfill the requirements for use as a team mascot is effectively nil.
Littofoyd

Post by Littofoyd »

Z98 wrote:Unless you are a professional graphic artist with a portfolio of very competent designs and experience doing designs according to customer specifications, trying to do #4 does not help us in any way, shape, or form.
I'm no professional graphic artist but what if someone can give a few good ideas about it wouldn't that be helpful in the least?