ReactOS donating how fast can developing of reactos be?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

LMH1

Re: ReactOS donating how fast can developing of reactos be?

Post by LMH1 »

But i get old webpage like:

http://features.en.softonic.com/is-reac ... or-windows

Code: Select all

ReactOS has actually been in development for 10 years. Even now, it's still under Alpha stage so the immediate answer to the above question is obviously a resounding "No". However, it's clear that the potential is there and signs are that it may not be long before ReactOS has Microsoft quaking in its boots or reaching for its lawyers.

The big advantage of ReactOS is that it's free and it doesn't involve any re-learning for Windows users as switching to Linux or Mac does. But how on earth have the developers managed to "rip-off" Windows but make it free at the same time? The answer is that they've basically re-written the Windows kernel which is the heart and soul behind Microsoft's operating system. What the developers have done, is stripped down Windows to its bare bones, making it the clean, lean machine that Windows originally started off as before Microsoft bloated it to bursting point.

The look and feel of ReactOS is extremely similar to Windows - Windows 2000 to be precise with a few touches (such as cursors) from Linux thrown in for good measure. The functionality however is still hit and miss. Because some parts of the kernel are still being built, you'll probably find that some programs work perfectly while others crash frequently. For what it's worth, ReactOS also ships with a browser although it's like a very poor version of Internet Explorer and you're best to download Firefox as soon as you get up and running
And other thing how about security?
I think when ReactOS go live, (maybe in 2025) its have lots security risk, easy target for hacker.
Its can installed antivirus\firewall but that did not help if user is newbie. Here i guess windows 10 is much better than ReactOS will be.
Because Linux\Unix did not allow "Users" to get full access, to computer, and not possible to log in as root. And not many virus for linux\Mac.
But i guess many virus\spyware wil give ReactOS like much trubles as windows XP or older get now.

Here is long way to make a take good decision.
I hope ReactOS be good in future, but wont risk much of my money if it did not.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

The biggest security risk always is on OSI Level 8 aka the user. Locky is only dangerous if the ppl are too stupid to start a PC without a 45 min course beforehand. These will be ALWAYS a risk. On Wine same like on Windows. ROS won't share the typical security flaws, but for sure will have enough for itself to handle with. Linux allows users to have full access to ANYTHING and root is very well existent. ROS will have a administrator acc and this is it. It does NOT have full access to everything, thats what the locked SYSTEM account is made for.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
LMH1

Post by LMH1 »

But do you think ReactOS may support microsoft defender\microsoft security essentials later?

For someone say Windows XP or older firewall its likely safe than:
[ external image ]

Guess zone alarm it only safe with XP.
Many other software will not install to XP and older.

Do you know what donated money used for? Server upgrades\ or developing?
Not sure how much cost its will be to make ReactOS like windows 10, some of wine HQ say that its will cost several million dollars to support all apps from windows NT 3.1 to windows 10.

So not sure the same cost will be on ReactOS to be compared with windows 10.
I guess may 100 000 dollar or more its will cost to priority ReactOS to final but not all apps wil works maybe only windows 95 to windows XP.
jonaspm

Post by jonaspm »

Of course that ReactOS won't target Windows 2003 forever, certainly the goal is to be compatible with most of the Windows apps.

Following targets might be:
Windows Vista
Windows 7
Windows Server 2012
Windows 8.1
Windows 10
and so on...
LMH1

Post by LMH1 »

Windows vista the most hated OS in the world:

https://www.pluralsight.com/blog/it-ops ... dows-vista

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/micros ... 25401.html

I hope ReactOS use they times to try to make: RosCMS v4 than clone vista.
And make its more easy to make list for translator than to update old RC files, its use long time.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Whats the deal with RosCMS? CMS is the website and nothing in our OS. And Vista is not that seen that positive, true that, but the Core is THE F**KING SAME like Win7 uses, ALMOST the same WIn8/8.1 uses and exactly the SAME ALMOST for Win10! If you wanna discuss with us, sure feel free to, but before you criticise our answers, PLEEEASE just read some Wikipedia or stuff. Thank YOU!

Next: Zone Alarm is a JOKE, exactly like ANY software firewall is a JOKE!

Donations are used where needed. If we have dev work to pay, then it's used there, if a bill for the servers or domains comes by, it will be used there. All is needed and all needs to be paid!

(YES, my day sucked that far!)
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
Konata

Post by Konata »

LMH1 wrote:And other thing how about security?
I think when ReactOS go live, (maybe in 2025) its have lots security risk, easy target for hacker.
Its can installed antivirus\firewall but that did not help if user is newbie. Here i guess windows 10 is much better than ReactOS will be.
Because Linux\Unix did not allow "Users" to get full access, to computer, and not possible to log in as root. And not many virus for linux\Mac.
But i guess many virus\spyware wil give ReactOS like much trubles as windows XP or older get now.

Here is long way to make a take good decision.
I hope ReactOS be good in future, but wont risk much of my money if it did not.
You have absolutely zero idea what you're talking about.

I just told you, ReactOS uses some design decisions and APIs from future versions of Windows, and ReactOS does not have the same bugs and security vulnerabilities that Windows did. It will be able to run programs past XP.

If you honest to god believe Unix's "you can't do anything, ever" philosophy is better than Windows' extremely sophisticated security features, then maybe you should just main an iPhone as your primary computer. No other OS has features like this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Access_control_list. To do anything in Unix, you have to log in as root, so it's pointless. Windows uses it's security features even in Session 0 (root).

If you have to use an antivirus, you're already admitting you're too stupid to use a computer and you're absolutely helpless to advertisements that scream "click here to speed up your computer". You don't need an antivirus, you just need to be smart. The only thing "hackers" ever did outside of the user's consent was to use a buffer overflow bug in Windows's networking stack, and ReactOS won't make that same mistake.

Windows has so many viruses because it's an OS used by 90% of the world. You think Unix-based OSes are more secure? If they got as much popularity as Windows they would have been utterly destroyed. See: Android. In OSes outside of Windows, I can install a driver and gain complete control of the entire system, I could do anything, even things the user couldn't do, and nothing could stop me. Windows doesn't let you do that, your drivers need to be signed by a trusted party. In other OSes, I could patch the kernel and, again, do anything. Windows has made this completely impossible for a long time now.

Why are you spewing all this hyperbole and made-up shit? You don't seem to know anything, and yet you're pretending you're an authority who knows everything. You know, instead of saying "I think this OS is vulnerable to hackers because I don't know anything about OSes or IT" you could just say "is ROS vulnerable to hackers?"

Edit: Upon reflection, I'm starting to think this guy is a troll. I'm going to try restraining myself from responding in the future.
Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

Konata wrote:No other OS has features like this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Access_control_list
Please do a little research on this, aside of maybe being a little less aggressive in your "Windows > *" way of thinking. I'm a fan of Windows and ReactOS too, so I hope we can find some common ground.
Konata wrote:You think Unix-based OSes are more secure? If they got as much popularity as Windows they would have been utterly destroyed.
Google says that 1.5 billion devices run Android. While it's harder to find how many people use Windows - seems that it's a similar number. Additionally, this wiki page says that Android currently outsells WIndows 3:1 - so by your logic it's obvious that it would be targeted more as there's more potential. Even after all this, I still see Android only at 20th place in the "most vulnerable systems of 2015"; every Windows version (except the relative newcomer Win10) is above it. LInux kernel is at 31st place, but I agree it's even harder to gauge its usage since it's heavily server-oriented, so let's not consider it for this argument.

(I didn't really have time right now to search for the primary source of each information, hope it's not an issue)
So my question is, is your interpretation of some implicit data wrong or is my interpretation of the data above wrong?

EDIT: "people use" -> "devices run"
Last edited by Black_Fox on Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
reactosfan34

Post by reactosfan34 »

I think one things the people get so caught up on is thinking that ReactOS is an exact clone of Windows Server 2003 and will have everything completely the same right down to the flaws that Windows Server 2003 had. This is not the case. ReactOS is it's own OS that will aim for software and hardware compatibility that Windows Server 2003 had but obviously if something wasn't made well in Windows Server 2003 the devs will change it is possible. It also means just because something might not be compatible with Windows Server 2003 the devs could still implement or make ReactOS compatible with whatever it was.
hbelusca
Developer

Post by hbelusca »

reactosfan34 wrote:I think one things the people get so caught up on is thinking that ReactOS is an exact clone of Windows Server 2003 and will have everything completely the same right down to the flaws that Windows Server 2003 had. This is not the case. ReactOS is it's own OS that will aim for software and hardware compatibility that Windows Server 2003 had but obviously if something wasn't made well in Windows Server 2003 the devs will change it is possible. It also means just because something might not be compatible with Windows Server 2003 the devs could still implement or make ReactOS compatible with whatever it was.
Note that amongst the ReactOS developers, there are some that want to make ReactOS better than Windows (therefore, not "copying" all of the flaws of Windows), while few others want to copy even the flaws.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

Pretty sure it's just Alex that wants the 'perfect' copy, worts and all. Most of the other devs seem more interested in seeing if it's possible to improve upon the implementation while still retaining compatibility.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Konata wrote: No other OS has features like this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Access_control_list.
You also need to be correct when you make technical statements that destroy another's arguments - but your statement above is not technically true. You might say instead, "no other popular desktop computing o/s has features like this" and it might be closer to being true but not necessarily so as I have an o/s on my desktop that supports ACLs as an intrinsic part of the core o/s (even if it isn't that popular...).

I'm not refuting your general argument with that chap, just don't let your bad day reduce the quality of your arguments. Arguing with a chap who is a petty troll is always a mistake in any case.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
Konata

Post by Konata »

Sorry guys, I have a cold so I was pretty incoherent when I made that post. I meant what I meant but I didn't exactly detail myself correctly or cite good sources.

What exactly does ReactOS do that's explicitly different from Windows? Is that detailed anywhere?
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

I have a bad day from time to time. :D

LMH1's combination of not being a native English speaker, being negative in general outlook and not bothering to understand what ReactOS actually is (in combination with wanting to sound more important than he really is) - coincides to make a very annoying mix. I can understand why you might sound off. Next time just fire a warning shot across his bows rather than launching a broadside.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

Even with a "perfect copy," I'm sure the non-essential bugs won't be duplicated. So while we might duplicate reversed parameters, typos in names, shell glitches, etc., I am pretty sure we won't be copying buffer overruns.