Poll: New Tango Volume Icon

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Which one?

Poll ended at Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:26 pm

Choice 1
60%
Choice 2
40%

Total votes: 20

Black_Fox

Re: Poll: New Tango Volume Icon

Post by Black_Fox »

eersoy93 wrote:I can't see these icons.
Does http://www.imgur.com work for you at all?
hp38guser

Post by hp38guser »

I can hardly see the difference between icon 1 and icon 3. I think most people who voted for icon 1 are also fine with icon 3.

Icon 2 looks indeed a bit like the Dolby Surround logo, that's why I did not vote for it. Icon 2 also has some similarity with a somewhat mixed pause play button.

I think that all the suggested icons are still better than the one that comes with Windows XP. I dislike that one.
WorldBlender

Post by WorldBlender »

Hey! I bet that my efforts on porting some of those GNOME icons are acutually being put to use! :D If those icons really did come from my pack I uploaded about a year ago, [forum post here], then maybe I might like some credit...(at least my real name in the credits).
middings

Post by middings »

hp38guser wrote:I can hardly see the difference between icon 1 and icon 3.
I had difficulty noticing the difference between icons 1 and 3. Pi_User5's remark, "the speaker icon from Gnome has that glow on it" helped me notice the difference. Icon 1 seems to reflect a bright light located above the image. Icon 3 does not.
hbelusca
Developer

Post by hbelusca »

middings wrote:
hp38guser wrote:I can hardly see the difference between icon 1 and icon 3.
I had difficulty noticing the difference between icons 1 and 3. Pi_User5's remark, "the speaker icon from Gnome has that glow on it" helped me notice the difference. Icon 1 seems to reflect a bright light located above the image. Icon 3 does not.
And icon 3 doesn't have glowing blue waves.
Pi_User5

Post by Pi_User5 »

I removed the glow because it's distracting and very few Tango icons have a glow.
I use ReactOS on real hardware. Will you? My Computers: https://www.reactos.org/wiki/PC_ROS_Rigs Go all the way to the bottom.

[ external image ]
eersoy93

Post by eersoy93 »

Black_Fox wrote:
Does http://www.imgur.com work for you at all?
No!
Pi_User5

Post by Pi_User5 »

So which icon should I use? 1, 2 or 3? I'm going to use icon 3 if there are no responses.
I use ReactOS on real hardware. Will you? My Computers: https://www.reactos.org/wiki/PC_ROS_Rigs Go all the way to the bottom.

[ external image ]
Swyter
Location: Spain ← Europe ← Planet Earth ← Milky Way ← Universe

Post by Swyter »

I like the third one. You are right about the blue gradient, when used with a non-solid theme like Luna or Lautus it does not look quite right.
The shape of the GNOME icon is a bit more realistic while still retaining some influence from the one in the Tango set (*), which I find too simple.

--
(*) Which was a precursor for most of the free/libre/Linux icons of today.
External patch contributor for ux/user-mode/l10n/winapi. Sometimes I fix a bit of everything everywhere.
Pi_User5

Post by Pi_User5 »

Swyter wrote:I like the third one. You are right about the blue gradient, when used with a non-solid theme like Luna or Lautus it does not look quite right.
The shape of the GNOME icon is a bit more realistic while still retaining some influence from the one in the Tango set (*), which I find too simple.

--
(*) Which was a precursor for most of the free/libre/Linux icons of today.
Alright. Icon 3 it is :).

[ external image ]
middings

Post by middings »

I had a similar problem in the topic, [Poll] New welcome.exe title.bmp picture. I never did resolve that problem but I do see the images in this topic.