Poll to choose exe files icon

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Choose an icon for exe file

Poll ended at Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:40 pm

icon 1
24%
icon 2
45%
icon 3
5%
icon 4
13%
icon 5
13%

Total votes: 38

manuel

Re: Poll to choose exe files icon

Post by manuel »

Then konata, pi_user so that the users put polls and ideas in this project, if will be ignored by us?, is a time loss to we too then. We think that exists more ideas of design, more functions, etc to reactos, but us only tango icons and no more, icon 4 is good, but can try with other and reactos will be cute, greetings.
hp38guser

Post by hp38guser »

I also like the cogwheels as used in the background of icon 4. If it can be implemented as light gray cogwheels on a white background, rotated 45 degrees and merged with icon 1 it would be my favorite one to choose from. The single cogwheel as used in icon 2 and 3 make it look like the executable is some kind of configuration tool.
I would also suggest to use the empty window icon for very small icons (16x16), as on such small resolutions the cogwheels will not be recognizable.
rachid

Post by rachid »

hp38guser wrote:On my screen it shows 'Poll ended at 21 Dec 2015 18:40' so I thought it was only up for a day.
After 8 days i edited the poll, i set the poll time to 1 day, just to freeze the poll votes
now i reset it to 8 days and now you can see poll end time changed again.
Swyter
Location: Spain ← Europe ← Planet Earth ← Milky Way ← Universe

Post by Swyter »

manuel wrote:Then konata, pi_user so that the users put polls and ideas in this project, if will be ignored by us?, is a time loss to we too then. We think that exists more ideas of design, more functions, etc to reactos, but us only tango icons and no more, icon 4 is good, but can try with other and reactos will be cute, greetings.
New icons are okay. User input is also neat to evaluate ideas and see which ones are preferred, but that doesn't mean that the most voted icon is automatically ready for inclusion without some extra polishment and work, and let's be frank here, the underlying idea might be good, but the execution is not up to par... yet.
External patch contributor for ux/user-mode/l10n/winapi. Sometimes I fix a bit of everything everywhere.
manuel

Post by manuel »

Swyter wrote:New icons are okay. User input is also neat to evaluate ideas and see which ones are preferred, but that doesn't mean that the most voted icon is automatically ready for inclusion without some extra polishment and work, and let's be frank here, the underlying idea might be good, but the execution is not up to par... yet.
I agree that the idea must be polished, but it seems to me to necessarily be the icon from tango that is imposed and I think that is not fair, if a vote was made is because there are other ideas that can be taken. Maybe merge the window from 1/2 icon with gears from 4, I don't know, but not force to 4 icon and end, please.
hp38guser

Post by hp38guser »

I would like to design a draft for the new exe icon using a combination of the cog wheels in icon 4 and icon 1. Currently I have only Paint Shop Pro installed.

Does anyone have any tips for specific software to help designing icons?
manuel

Post by manuel »

hp38guser wrote:Does anyone have any tips for specific software to help designing icons?
I don't know, but I showed some designs of icons and I used Paint.Net :D
oldman

Post by oldman »

hp38guser wrote:I would like to design a draft for the new exe icon using a combination of the cog wheels in icon 4 and icon 1. Currently I have only Paint Shop Pro installed.

Does anyone have any tips for specific software to help designing icons?
http://greenfishsoftware.blogspot.co.uk/

http://portableapps.com/apps/graphics_p ... x_portable
Please keep the Windows classic 9x/2000 look and feel.
The layman's guides - debugging - bug reporting - compiling - ISO remaster.
They may help you with a problem, so do have a look at them.