Reactos legacy vs UEFI mode (Y510p)

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

swiftwings

Reactos legacy vs UEFI mode (Y510p)

Post by swiftwings »

Hi everyone.
I'm very fascinated to find that there is an alternative to Microsft Windows apart from linux which I use most of the time. I came across this futuristic os while I was reading some topics in Phoronix website. After watching some videos about Reactos, I decided to download it and install it in my Lenovo Y510p. I burned the 0.4 rc1 on a cd but the bois in my laptop didn't detect it under UEFI mode. Then I ,desperately, created a bootable USB via Rufus with no result, though the secure boot is disabled.
Interestingly, once I set my laptop into legacy mode they become detectable. I don't want to install it via legacy mode because that may wipe my other OSs (windows 10 and Fedora23).
Is there any idea how to install reactos under UEFI? Is there any workaround? I would be very thankful!
ArmyMan007

Re: Reactos legacy vs UEFI mode (Y510p)

Post by ArmyMan007 »

Hi swiftwings,

In my opinion, if you can't install ReactOS in a way that won't wipe out your other operating systems, don't try to install it on your laptop.

I haven't checked ReactOS for a while, but I guess that UEFI isn't supported at this time. Should you want to try it out in a safe environment (since the project is still in ALPHA stage), I would recommend using virtual machines. I do so all the time.

Hope you keep on enjoying ReactOS! :D
ReactOS - Open Your Windows to Freedom
swiftwings

Post by swiftwings »

Hi ArmyMan007,
Thanks for the reply :) . I'll try it later on this day on a vertual machine. Thanks again for the quick reply.
Hopefully it'll be supported with the official release maybe in 0.5 version!
hbelusca
Developer

Post by hbelusca »

UEFI support has just started to be implemented (somebody has started writing a compliant bootloader, but atm. it just loads & writes some strings on the screen; but what's needed for the CD itself is already here).
swiftwings

Post by swiftwings »

Hi hbelusca,
Great news :) I'm looking forward to see the implementation of UEFI and test it. A lot of people nowadays use modern laptops with UEFI. So, in order for Reactos to gain more popularity, they need to support largely these category of people (mainly those who lost their track with Windows).
wildschwein

Post by wildschwein »

hi swiftwings, welcome in Reactos Forum,

seems that you are enthusiatic about reactos, that's good !

you can help testing, a lot of testers are needed. Try to instal Reactos in a virtual machine, like QEMU or Virtual Box, then testing is safe...
swiftwings

Post by swiftwings »

Hi wildschwein,
I succeeded to install Reactos daily build 70416 on VirtualBox with flying colors. There is only one minor problem that I found during the installation : the lack of 1366x768 resolution. Maybe it's better for the OS to auto detect the sceen resolution. Other than that, it runs smooth until now. I installed firefox from the downloader manager. I'll test official softwares in the near future.
Congratulation Reactos Team. May all the best be in your favour :D