Minimalistic ReactOS logo

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

jonaspm

Minimalistic ReactOS logo

Post by jonaspm »

I found the ReactOS logo used in Store products to be very nice and minimalistic...

So I modified it a bit to resemble current ReactOS colors

¿Do you like it?
[ external image ]
EmuandCo
Developer

Re: Minimalistic ReactOS logo

Post by EmuandCo »

/me likes that ^^
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
merella

Post by merella »

It would be perfect ad start menù button icon in Explorer :D
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

Yes it is cool. A lot of times, minimalist looks more "modern." Similar was true of the NASA logo. Someone updated it from the "meatball" logo to the "worm" logo in the mid 70's, and 1992, they reverted back to the "meatball". So it is possible we might have similar shifts in logo usage with time, where some want to go more minimalist and some more formal or whatever.
timmay2019

Post by timmay2019 »

I like it. The only problem I can see it looks like the "S" at the end is squished in. Then again it might just be me.
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

Yes, the O and S appear off at the end.
jonaspm

Post by jonaspm »

PurpleGurl wrote:Yes, the O and S appear off at the end.
You need to click on the image (link)
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

jonaspm wrote:
PurpleGurl wrote:Yes, the O and S appear off at the end.
You need to click on the image (link)
I was saying the letters that I saw on the image were "off" and mentioning that the O and S being out of proportion on the entire image. I am NOT a newbie. I was just saying that BOTH letters didn't look right. I was not saying I couldn't see them.
Last edited by PurpleGurl on Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:11 am, edited 3 times in total.
Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

I'm 100% sure no harm was meant and no offense should be taken.

It's an unfortunate feature of this font, it seems. The large "O" fits well with the "eac" and the thin "S" fits well with the "t", but putting all the letters together makes it look a bit weird. I personally need to see a little bit of padding/margin on the right side of the linked image, otherwise it seems cut off.

EDIT: fixed a word (logo->linked image)
Last edited by Black_Fox on Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hbelusca
Developer

Post by hbelusca »

To complete what was said about the "offness" character of the final 'O' and 'S' letters, look at our current logo at the top-left of this webpage, and notice how this happens to be the same (and in the "art" SVN directory http://svn.reactos.org/svn/press-media/trunk/art/Logo/ ).
EDIT: I now remember that the same font produces for the letter 't' something that looks like a cross; nobody didn't pay attention to that until somebody started to troll us that we chose the letter 't' on purpose & it was blasphemous (please note that I don't want to restart off-topic trolling there; it was just mentioned as an illustration of how the font can be seen as peculiar, and how people can search for & find problems where there are none).
jonaspm

Post by jonaspm »

PurpleGurl wrote:You misunderstood me, I am NOT a newbie.
You are right, sorry if you felt offended, was not meant
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

The font looks unusual because instead of the letters being proportionate to each other, each curve would form a perfect circle if allowed to complete the 360° turn. I guess whoever designed it wanted to take the orb theme as far as possible.
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

jonaspm wrote:You are right, sorry if you felt offended, was not meant
Don't worry about it. We all try to help, and sometimes we put our eagerness first.
shadowinthelight wrote:The font looks unusual because instead of the letters being proportionate to each other, each curve would form a perfect circle if allowed to complete the 360° turn. I guess whoever designed it wanted to take the orb theme as far as possible.
Interesting. I hadn't thought of that. But I don't think the arcs on the S follow even those rules.
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

Just a quick and dirty illustration.

[ external image ]
hbelusca
Developer

Post by hbelusca »

shadowinthelight wrote:I guess whoever designed it wanted to take the orb theme as far as possible.
I don't know which "orb" you're talking about, but if you were thinking about the reactos logo, then you're wrong: the font is called "Century Gothic" and existed before reactos was born.