Poll: My Documents Icon

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Which one you want the My Documents icon.

Poll ended at Sun Nov 08, 2015 3:28 pm

Current
52%
New #1
24%
New #2
24%

Total votes: 21

Swyter
Location: Spain ← Europe ← Planet Earth ← Milky Way ← Universe

Re: Poll: My Documents Icon

Post by Swyter »

middings wrote:
Swyter wrote:This is a perfect example of bikeshedding.
I disagree.
Two pages about a perfectly valid icon, there are more replies than vertical pixels.
External patch contributor for ux/user-mode/l10n/winapi. Sometimes I fix a bit of everything everywhere.
erkinalp

Post by erkinalp »

My Documents is a useful folder, however, there is no compatibility requirement for Music and Videos folders be in My Documents. It is a UX thing, and may differ without breaking compatibility. After all, it is just a default folder whose path stored on registry for use of productive apps. User profile root, is movable too therefore My Documents may even point outside the user's home directory. I had such a setup in order to access my files easily both from Windows XP and Linux multi-booted.
-uses Ubuntu+GNOME 3 GNU/Linux
-likes Free (as in freedom) and Open Source Detergents
-favors open source of Windows 10 under GPL2
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

Swyter wrote:This is a perfect example of bikeshedding. Let's concentrate on the loads of sub-par icons and small UX pitfalls, and once everything is decent we can think of little details for small cognitive metaphors.
Well, I think the icons are trivial in comparison with the rest of the OS and almost see the constant voting about them as a distraction. If everyone wants to do something, start with the icons that truly are ugly or blurry. There's no need to fix what is not broken.
Pi_User5

Post by Pi_User5 »

PurpleGurl wrote:
Swyter wrote:This is a perfect example of bikeshedding. Let's concentrate on the loads of sub-par icons and small UX pitfalls, and once everything is decent we can think of little details for small cognitive metaphors.
Well, I think the icons are trivial in comparison with the rest of the OS and almost see the constant voting about them as a distraction. If everyone wants to do something, start with the icons that truly are ugly or blurry. There's no need to fix what is not broken.
Except all the blurry icons are gone. :P But I agree with not touching the icons that are fine.
I use ReactOS on real hardware. Will you? My Computers: https://www.reactos.org/wiki/PC_ROS_Rigs Go all the way to the bottom.

[ external image ]
justincase

Post by justincase »

PurpleGurl wrote:The house on the current one is silly. It isn't about the Internet home page at all.
Where did "the Internet home page" come in to any of this? I don't remember any earlier posts indicating there could be confusion between the My Documents folder (with current icon) and "the Internet home page". I indicated that the current icon made me think of the 'home directory' as used on linux/unix/etc. Operating Systems, but that's a folder where the user's files are generally stored, not anything to do with "the Internet home page".
Swyter wrote:This is a perfect example of bikeshedding.
Agreed.
If someone wants to post an icon and ask if people like it, that's fine, but a) it would be smart to work on the icons that need work (e.g. all the missing/blank ones in different toolbars and whatnot) and b) there's no reason a post about a potential icon replacement should get people saying that we should remove the feature that the icon represents, or debating what the folder means, or claiming that something may or may not be needed for compatibility, or discussing the differences and similarities between different versions of Windows (unless it's actually directly relevant to why the icon change is being suggested) or ... anything else really. The responses should be about the icon, and what people like or dislike about the different versions of it.
PurpleGurl wrote:There's no need to fix what is not broken.
Agreed.
I reserve the right to ignore any portion of any post if I deem it not constructive or likely to cause the discussion to degenerate.
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

justincase wrote:
PurpleGurl wrote:The house on the current one is silly. It isn't about the Internet home page at all.
Where did "the Internet home page" come in to any of this? I don't remember any earlier posts indicating there could be confusion between the My Documents folder (with current icon) and "the Internet home page". I indicated that the current icon made me think of the 'home directory' as used on linux/unix/etc. Operating Systems, but that's a folder where the user's files are generally stored, not anything to do with "the Internet home page".
My opinions were original, coming from myself and the icon itself, not what anyone said. Houses in nearly any icon implementation usually refers to a "home page." I'd be more likely to associate roots with a home directory, but I've never used the phrase "home directory." Like most regular users in the US, I don't use Linux/Unix, so using metaphors from that world is likely to alienate or at least be lost on Windows users.
Last edited by PurpleGurl on Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
justincase

Post by justincase »

Sorry, I was just confused because the way that you brought it up sounded like you were referring back to some previously mentioned point, and I didn't see it anywhere, and I personally don't find it to seem "home page" like at all (this is the desktop and/or filesystem we're looking at, not a browser, why would there be a "home page"), so I was wondering where you got the idea that anyone was confusing it with a "home page" icon. (You didn't state that you had been confused by it at all.)

Also, there are a lot of people in the US who have had contact with Linux, but know very little about it, and are inexperienced enough with computers that they may not realize that ReactOS doesn't pull concepts from Linux, and I would think that these are the kind of people who might get confused by the 'house' on the folder, as opposed to people who don't have previous experience with non-Windows systems, as they would have no notion of a 'home directory', and many would likely not even notice bother noticing what was on the front of the folder in the icon.

(For instance, I am familiar enough with Windows that I read "My Documents" and I knew exactly what it was, and never registered the fact that ReactOS' icon for it had a house on the front until I read oldman's post that first mentioned it, at which point I looked at the icon as if it were standalone and realized that it's basically the "home" folder icon from the "Tango!" icon set. - See this for example.)
I reserve the right to ignore any portion of any post if I deem it not constructive or likely to cause the discussion to degenerate.
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

justincase wrote:Sorry, I was just confused because the way that you brought it up sounded like you were referring back to some previously mentioned point, and I didn't see it anywhere, and I personally don't find it to seem "home page" like at all (this is the desktop and/or filesystem we're looking at, not a browser, why would there be a "home page"), so I was wondering where you got the idea that anyone was confusing it with a "home page" icon. (You didn't state that you had been confused by it at all.)

Also, there are a lot of people in the US who have had contact with Linux, but know very little about it, and are inexperienced enough with computers that they may not realize that ReactOS doesn't pull concepts from Linux, and I would think that these are the kind of people who might get confused by the 'house' on the folder, as opposed to people who don't have previous experience with non-Windows systems, as they would have no notion of a 'home directory', and many would likely not even notice bother noticing what was on the front of the folder in the icon.

(For instance, I am familiar enough with Windows that I read "My Documents" and I knew exactly what it was, and never registered the fact that ReactOS' icon for it had a house on the front until I read oldman's post that first mentioned it, at which point I looked at the icon as if it were standalone and realized that it's basically the "home" folder icon from the "Tango!" icon set. - See this for example.)
I hope I didn't come across as insulting. I wasn't "confused." I considered that aspect of the icon inappropriate. That was all I was saying.

As for non-Linux people, still since they haven't used Linux, they wouldn't get what a house would have to do with one's personal files. I'd be more personally likely to use a heart, but that might be confused with "favorite" stuff.

I never noticed the house until this thread and the comparison of this icon with the proposed ones.
jonaspm

Post by jonaspm »

I would recommend removing the paper outside the folder and making the inside papers less wavy
oldman

Post by oldman »

jonaspm wrote:I would recommend removing the paper outside the folder and making the inside papers less wavy
Like the folder EOLITE in this image http://kolibrios.org/en/screen?
Please keep the Windows classic 9x/2000 look and feel.
The layman's guides - debugging - bug reporting - compiling - ISO remaster.
They may help you with a problem, so do have a look at them.
justincase

Post by justincase »

"Like the folder EOLITE in this image http://kolibrios.org/en/screen?" except from the same angle that the current icon is, not the ... sort of sideways angle that the "EOLITE" folder is viewed from, and maybe two/three pages instead of just one.