(Poll) Change new NTVDM icon

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Which one you want the NTVDM icon.

Poll ended at Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:18 pm

Current
48%
New
52%

Total votes: 21

henrytang5247

(Poll) Change new NTVDM icon

Post by henrytang5247 »

This poll is about to change the current NTVDM icon to the new icon.

Current icon:
[ external image ]

New Icon:
[ external image ]
http://www.mediafire.com/download/7o3fl ... /ntvdm.zip
Hi I am Henry. I often make Chinese and Malay translation and icons for ReactOS. I also a ReactOS Community Youtube Channel Manager.
[ external image ] [ external image ]
hbelusca
Developer

Re: (Poll) Change new NTVDM icon

Post by hbelusca »

Your archive seems to be corrupted (so that I cannot uncompress it), and the new screencapture is too blurry for me to be able to have a judgement on the new proposition :(
Swyter
Location: Spain ← Europe ← Planet Earth ← Milky Way ← Universe

Post by Swyter »

Yeah. Please use a better place to host your screen captures (https://imgur.com is what the cool kids use nowadays), and preferably from a PNG file.
The overkill compression makes it difficult to appreciate the changes, like someone smearing vaseline on the camera lens. Here crisp pixels are key.
External patch contributor for ux/user-mode/l10n/winapi. Sometimes I fix a bit of everything everywhere.
hbelusca
Developer

Post by hbelusca »

@Swyter: he used imgur for both the screencaptures. It's just that for whatever reason I don't know, his images where the modifications are, are always blurry.
Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

The second screenshot is blurred, yeah, but the archive tested just fine for me (using 7z).
I tried repackaging, maybe it helps - link.
henrytang5247

Post by henrytang5247 »

Hi I am Henry. I often make Chinese and Malay translation and icons for ReactOS. I also a ReactOS Community Youtube Channel Manager.
Swyter

Post by Swyter »

What's the licensing and source? The 16px version is pretty decent.
External patch contributor for ux/user-mode/l10n/winapi. Sometimes I fix a bit of everything everywhere.
henrytang5247

Post by henrytang5247 »

hbelusca
Developer

Post by hbelusca »

Pi_User5

Post by Pi_User5 »

I like the new icon. :) I give it my seal of approval. :D
I use ReactOS on real hardware. Will you? My Computers: https://www.reactos.org/wiki/PC_ROS_Rigs Go all the way to the bottom.

[ external image ]
Pi_User5

Post by Pi_User5 »

Could you please use this icon? :) https://www.mediafire.com/?9i09k0rbt8ainry

* It's the SAME icon but with 48pixel added.
* Also, this is NOT Henry's fault but the creator of the icon instead. :) I found the 32pixel icons to be a bit blurry so I fixed it. Just something I found. :D Just so no one is confused, the original icon is blurry, not the repackaged one.
I use ReactOS on real hardware. Will you? My Computers: https://www.reactos.org/wiki/PC_ROS_Rigs Go all the way to the bottom.

[ external image ]
Swyter

Post by Swyter »

What about opening a new JIRA ticket? Or is Hermès going to commit it directly skipping all the mumbo-jumbo?
justincase

Post by justincase »

hbelusca wrote:Your archive seems to be corrupted (so that I cannot uncompress it)
Works fine for me. I wonder if your download failed:
[ external image ]
File: ntvdm.zip
CRC: C4C5E51B ED2K: e513ad162eabd6ce19af972a2368dbab
MD5: 25c6ccf553e365e21621139fd034de32
SHA1: 21eb100538534f0aed752bb989d78712f01c823f
SHA256: b0b453d254ce560dd9e8a50c91aaaac71a773b8033124a4fa1813a964b46d2ac
SHA512: c26e64110bdcbe49d4835953c835d7af3417bc505bad6035b0f855731917f26b21432cf52489c432dc05f09019cc176983032f6d6d3df7db40e38ce680ae166b
Then again, by now you can probably just use the one Pi_User5 posted. ;)
hbelusca wrote:and the new screencapture is too blurry for me to be able to have a judgement on the new proposition :(
Everything is identical except the icon and everything being blurry, so I'd guess he's using an image editor to swap in his changes, and doing something (e.g. some kind of compression) which makes it blurry.

Anyway, the new one seems to fit in with the look of the other icons a little bit better, but I personally like the old one better, and seeing as Microsoft's ntvdm didn't have an Icon, I'd stick with hbelusca's reasoning (with the exception of calling old computers ugly) over here:
hbelusca wrote:Because, NTVDM aims at emulating a 486-class PC-AT, only (with small extensions, but still). And as you know, the PCs at that time looked... ugly^^ : [pictures removed from quote]
The 90-ish look of the icon meant to reflect the oldiness of the hardware that is emulated in NTVDM.
Swyter wrote:What about opening a new JIRA ticket? Or is Hermès going to commit it directly skipping all the mumbo-jumbo?
If this icon is going to get changed, then yes, putting it on JIRA would be a good idea, that 'mumbo-jumbo' has it's place, but if hbelusca wants to skip it, that's fine too (after all, he not only chose, but created the current icon). On the other hand, I don't think there's any point in posting this to JIRA if the poll goes in favor of the current icon.

By the way, how long is this poll going to last before a winner is decided?
I reserve the right to ignore any portion of any post if I deem it not constructive or likely to cause the discussion to degenerate.
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

I tend to think the older one better captures the nostalgia and the C:\ makes it clear what it is for. The one from the Tango set is just a generic older computer without the C: prompt. Other than that, I think the proposed one looks better. A 2-color icon tends to look out of place.
Konata

Post by Konata »

I agree. The proposed one is much more consistent, which makes it a better option. It would be nice to do something to make it a bit more like DOS, perhaps make the screen black with a little C:\> prompt, with some glare to make it look natural. But all in all, consistency is what's important, and, well, the current icon looks like a child drew it. It's not "retro", even old computer graphics can look good if a child isn't responsible for drawing it. My source is your favorite NES game.