when will there be a offficial stable release?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

jerodros

when will there be a offficial stable release?

Post by jerodros »

i know youve heard this question before and answered it many times, but when will we have a stable release? from what i heard its been 15 years of the project but no stable release...not even a beta.
Konata

Re: when will there be a offficial stable release?

Post by Konata »

There's no beta because it's current in alpha.
It's in alpha because Windows NT is incredibly complex and there are not nearly enough people with the knowledge to really help with the project.
There are "stable" releases. Currently the stable release is 0.3.17, though the much-improved 0.4.0 is coming out soon (you can get it now, it's just not considered "stable" like 0.3.17).
Obviously there isn't any official release dates and there aren't going to be any, because this is volunteer work and everyone working on it has no obligations to do anything. But if it helps, the system is becoming extremely advanced and can now run tons of software it never could before. It's come a very long way, rest assured there's no lollygagging going about.
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

Yes, the question is a misnomer, since every release is a "stable" and official one. But the real question seems to be when there will be a release that is suitable for daily use. But in either case, nobody knows, since the developers refuse to set release dates. They are volunteers and there are only so many of them. It isn't like a professional project where you can hire more devs if you have to and accelerate the development up to a point.
mrgoogle

Post by mrgoogle »

READ THIS http://motherboard.vice.com/read/china- ... and-google lOL, why can't we advertise reactos as an alternative in countries with same issues as china?
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

mrgoogle wrote:READ THIS http://motherboard.vice.com/read/china- ... and-google lOL, why can't we advertise ReactOS as an alternative in countries with same issues as china?
I'm not a moderator, but this comment might work better in the Russian thread or the PR threads. The rules say not to hijack threads. Outside of that, I absolutely agree with you here. We should try to promote ROS in all the places that want a "national OS" or who simply don't want locked into a single vendor. Apple, Google, and Microsoft are all good in their own rights, but may not be in everyone's best interest. It isn't that the companies are bad as much as the corporate model used is inappropriate for some uses.

Anyway, the question of this thread is when there will be a stable release. A release is by definition, "stable" in some extent, meaning it has been tested and meets the goals of the release. In Open Source parlance, stable refers to a designated release as opposed to a "nightly build" or a trunk build in our case. In a nightly build, something my be fixed, but might also break something else. The "stable" release insures that there are no major regressions. If you fix 1 thing and break 3, it isn't much use. However, if the 3 that become broken were all written wrong or relied on broken code that interacts with what was fixed, then the "stable" release would likely fix what was wrong with those functions or their helper code that caused them to break when something else was fixed.

And the short question was already answered. Nobody knows. Nobody knows when the next release will be, or even when the beta or a final release candidate will be. We all hope it will be soon, but unless we code or donate, it will be an unsure thing.
nabilh2020

Post by nabilh2020 »

Well, until I am able to get the iso to give me a menu to install the OS, I cannot comment on anything :)

posted elsewhere:

Just testing this new OS, but could not get it to install from CD, or using a rufus 2.2 usb.

What I tried is on the following 2 devices:

1. Acer Chromebook C720P

2. Acer Hybrid Tablet W700 with HM77 chipset i3 processor.

On both I can get Windows 10 running, but the ReactOS CD does not load.

The version is the latest release boot CD: ReactOS-0.3.17-REL-iso
Konata

Post by Konata »

0.3.17 is very outdated, use a trunk build. We can't get any valuable information from 0.3.17 failing as it's so outdated and so much progress has been made since it was made.

Windows 10 running doesn't mean anything either. ROS targets NT 5 (Windows XP, Server 2003) and it's more appropriate to test Windows XP or Server 2003 running on hardware instead of an OS that's 10 years newer which is more likely to have drivers written for it that don't work in NT 5.