reactos shell as android launcher

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it in here. (not to be used as a chat/nonsense section)

Moderator: Moderator Team

powerplayer

reactos shell as android launcher

Post by powerplayer »

Hey guys heres an idea :
Reactos shell + task manager + windowed apk's as an android launcher apk file could be in some cases more simple then the x86 version ability to add icons and non bloated shell + keeping it minimal

We have all those flashy launchers but some of us want to make android into a desktop with classic system colors , sure there is an emulated win95 but nothing that resembles a native desktop that can run android programs in different resizable windows and besides many features are
alrerady contained in android it is just a matter of dressing them up as desktop windows programs.

Has anybody made such thing or is planning to make one to revive their old tablet yet?
EmuandCo
Developer

Re: reactos shell as android launcher

Post by EmuandCo »

Let me rephrase that. You want us to port the reactos shell based on explorer.EXE, shell32.DLL, rshell.DLL, browseui.DLL and many more to a operating syste which ONLY uses pseudo JScript as applications? Errrr.... I am quite sure that you never checked for differences in some systems. Windows architecture != Linux architecture != Android architecture != MacOS architecture. Recoding a pseudo shell fake Launcher would be way more easy to do then. APKs are full screen applications and nothing more. Those funny windowed hacks and official Samsung ways are a mere hack.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
powerplayer

Post by powerplayer »

EmuandCo wrote:Let me rephrase that. You want us to port the reactos shell based on explorer.EXE, shell32.DLL, rshell.DLL, browseui.DLL and many more to a operating syste which ONLY uses pseudo JScript as applications? Errrr.... I am quite sure that you never checked for differences in some systems. Windows architecture != Linux architecture != Android architecture != MacOS architecture. Recoding a pseudo shell fake Launcher would be way more easy to do then. APKs are full screen applications and nothing more. Those funny windowed hacks and official Samsung ways are a mere hack.
Yea that pseudo fake launcher would be something i would use every day on my android devices it would be nice for us non-coders to use something that is like old 95/NT to get things done more smooth on android.
Tonix

Post by Tonix »

powerplayer wrote:Yea that pseudo fake launcher would be something i would use every day on my android devices it would be nice for us non-coders to use something that is like old 95/NT to get things done more smooth on android.
You did'nt understand what EmuandCo has written, i will try to express same concept with other words.

Android use Java/javascript as programming language and is based no Unix-like API (linux)
Reactos Shell is written in c++ and is based on Windows API.

It's not an easy task let explorer/taskmanager, etc run on android, it easyer write an apk that act like explorer/taskmanager from scratch.

But writing software in java based on unix-like api is totally outside the scope of reactos project.
powerplayer

Post by powerplayer »

Tonix wrote:
powerplayer wrote:Yea that pseudo fake launcher would be something i would use every day on my android devices it would be nice for us non-coders to use something that is like old 95/NT to get things done more smooth on android.
You did'nt understand what EmuandCo has written, i will try to express same concept with other words.

Android use Java/javascript as programming language and is based no Unix-like API (linux)
Reactos Shell is written in c++ and is based on Windows API.

It's not an easy task let explorer/taskmanager, etc run on android, it easyer write an apk that act like explorer/taskmanager from scratch.

But writing software in java based on unix-like api is totally outside the scope of reactos project.

I understood that because reactos is intel and android is basically a java os using arm architecture , yea i get your point but if somebody is kind enough to write one for testing please let me know.
Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

The problem is it would only look similar, but otherwise be a completely different thing -> all advantages of current ROS source code would be lost.
There was an Android launcher looking similarly to Windows, but is probably dead now. A link for reference: http://www.appszoom.com/android_themes/ ... jooqb.html
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

powerplayer wrote:I understood that because reactos is intel and android is basically a java os using arm architecture , yea i get your point but if somebody is kind enough to write one for testing please let me know.
Android is not just ARM. It works on MANY platforms, even Intel. Anyways, it won't work and we won't do it. We dont care about Android at all, we code a Windows OS
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
powerplayer

Post by powerplayer »

EmuandCo wrote:
powerplayer wrote:I understood that because reactos is intel and android is basically a java os using arm architecture , yea i get your point but if somebody is kind enough to write one for testing please let me know.
Android is not just ARM. It works on MANY platforms, even Intel. Anyways, it won't work and we won't do it. We dont care about Android at all, we code a Windows OS
I see a smart launcher like that might be hard to implement
ok thanks
erkinalp

Post by erkinalp »

we code a Windows OS
No, we are implementing lonely Windows-like OS.
-uses Ubuntu+GNOME 3 GNU/Linux
-likes Free (as in freedom) and Open Source Detergents
-favors open source of Windows 10 under GPL2