what do you think of Windows 10

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it in here. (not to be used as a chat/nonsense section)

Moderator: Moderator Team

good
27%
ok
33%
bad
No votes
really bad
13%
never again while it see the light of day on my computer
27%

Total votes: 15

MadWolf

Post by MadWolf »

hi all

has anyone seen the Windows 10 Technical Preview
if you have what do you think of it
manuel

Re: what do you think of Windows 10

Post by manuel »

--------------------------------------
Windows 10 = Windows 8 with some features extras, just that.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Unstable an unpolished yet. But way better than windows 8.1 :D
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

manuel wrote:what do you think of Windows 10
--------------------------------------
Windows 10 = Windows 8 with some features extras, just that.
There is really little to say. To only true novelty is that they called it 10 instead of 9.

For the rest technically it's underwhelming (as of yet). The startbutton is back. Joy. Hardly something to boast about as being a technical innovation. Some minor things like being able to use more than one desktops on the screen. I mean, sure. But others had that for years. It will use directX12. Well, that's only to be expected, no?

In short, there is nothing spectacular about it. There are some slight evolutionary improvements, but it's more like an SP2 for win8 than anything else. And it sure as hell don't deserve the '10', as if it's so revolutionary that it can even skip the 9. That's clearly a marketing trick, nothing more.

I haven't tried it, so I don't know how good the OS is, but from the specifications thusfar, there is no 'wow' factor. It still can be a stable and decent OS, but was it really necessary to hype it with a 10?
Last edited by Webunny on Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

Skipping version numbers is a sales gimmick that Microsoft uses. For instance, most new products they release are numbered as being version 3.1. That comes from their Windows 3.x and MS-DOS days. They were embarrassed by their earlier versions of both Windows and MS-DOS. So starting at version 3.1 shows the customers that their product is polished and without major bugs and gives the illusion of confidence.
Last edited by PurpleGurl on Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DOSGuy

Post by DOSGuy »

Apparently skipping 9 may be more than just a marketing gimmick. Several sites have picked up on the story that, because some programs may search for an OS name starting with "Windows 9" to determine if you're using Windows 95 or 98, Windows 9 could have been detected as Windows 9x and either refused to run or installed/executed code designed for backwards compatibility with Win9x.
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article. Get free BeOS, DOS, OS/2, and Windows games at RGB Classic Games.
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

DOSGuy wrote:Apparently skipping 9 may be more than just a marketing gimmick. Several sites have picked up on the story that, because some programs may search for an OS name starting with "Windows 9" to determine if you're using Windows 95 or 98, Windows 9 could have been detected as Windows 9x and either refused to run or installed/executed code designed for backwards compatibility with Win9x.
I don't buy that. Programs do not recognise an OS through the identification of 'xp', or '7' or '8'. IF they use a reference like that, it would be the 'NT' identification number. For instance, windows 8 is not recognised by the '8', but is, in fact, 'NT 6.2'.

Thus, if they would reference 9 as 'NT 6.4' or 'NT 7.0' or whatever, there should have been no problem whatsoever.

In fact, if what you said above were true, they couldn't have released win 98, because they had already used win 95. It has a high likelihood of being bullocks, thus. Even if there would be other considerations, it's pretty clear the main objective was a marketing stunt.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

FYI, Windows 10 is Windows NT 6.4 ^^
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

EmuandCo wrote:FYI, Windows 10 is Windows NT 6.4 ^^
Exactly. So I don't see a problem if they used that for Windows 9 - which Windows 10, in fact, is.
tomleem

Windows 10 Technical Preview Contains Keylogger For Microsof

Post by tomleem »

'Windows 10 Technical Preview Contains Keylogger For Microsoft To Capture User Input'.
This does not sound good to me. :o
http://www.geeky-gadgets.com/windows-10 ... 6-10-2014/
One should be able to chose what Microsoft sees. :x
'It is also important to know that the data being collected by Microsoft during the current Windows 10 Technical Preview period will not be collected when the full consumer operating system officially launches sometime during 2015.'
How would we know if this is true or not?
Tom Lee M / BigGoofyGuy
justincase

Post by justincase »

It doesn't matter if you 'buy it' Webunny, the fact is that some people have in fact written software that checks for human readable OS name strings starting with "Windows 9" to determine if that software is running on Windows 95/98. Sure it's stupid, but we all know that there are idiots in the world.

For proof look at this piece of OpenJDK 7: http://hg.openjdk.java.net/jdk7/jdk7/jd ... .java#l583
In this case it would assume that Windows 9 can't handle Unicode, but this is only the first piece of code I found that's still in a widely used project (Oracle's JDK 7 now uses OpenJDK) which would misinterpret "Windows 9" to be a Windows 9x series OS; there are others.

Edit - That's not to say they couldn't have easily worked around those kind of issues by writing the OS name string as "Windows Nine".
I reserve the right to ignore any portion of any post if I deem it not constructive or likely to cause the discussion to degenerate.
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

justincase wrote:It doesn't matter if you 'buy it' Webunny, the fact is that some people have in fact written software that checks for human readable OS name strings starting with "Windows 9" to determine if that software is running on Windows 95/98. Sure it's stupid, but we all know that there are idiots in the world.

For proof look at this piece of OpenJDK 7: http://hg.openjdk.java.net/jdk7/jdk7/jd ... .java#l583
In this case it would assume that Windows 9 can't handle Unicode, but this is only the first piece of code I found that's still in a widely used project (Oracle's JDK 7 now uses OpenJDK) which would misinterpret "Windows 9" to be a Windows 9x series OS; there are others.

Edit - That's not to say they couldn't have easily worked around those kind of issues by writing the OS name string as "Windows Nine".
It matters in regard to the question if it's the truth whether or not that has been the main consideration to call it 'Windows 10'. That's what I mean with 'I don't buy it'. You already indicate yourself how trivial it is to deal with this kind of thing.
justincase

Post by justincase »

Well, whatever their reasoning is, Microsoft has decided to call it Windows 10.
Does anybody have any practical experience with the Technical Preview? Can anyone tell me how well the multiple desktops feature works? And also, what kind of bugs have you seen in it?
I reserve the right to ignore any portion of any post if I deem it not constructive or likely to cause the discussion to degenerate.
middings

Re: Windows 10 Technical Preview Contains Keylogger For Micr

Post by middings »

tomleem wrote:'Windows 10 Technical Preview Contains Keylogger For Microsoft To Capture User Input'.
This does not sound good to me. :o
http://www.geeky-gadgets.com/windows-10 ... 6-10-2014/
Read the EULA carefully before choosing 'Accept'. Microsoft gently warns people not to install the Technical Preview on their "everyday computer" (ie., production machine). The keylogger is an IQ test. Are Microsoft's designers smart enough to anticipate how the users will behave? I hope their designers pass the test this time. If the beta of Windows 8 had had a keylogger, Microsoft might have discovered that their implementation of their new Metro GUI needed some fix-ups before releasing Windows 8 to the market. A keylogger in an early Windows Vista preview might have changed history.
One should be able to chose what Microsoft sees. :x
Oh, but you can. Choose to play with the Windows 10 Technical Preview or choose not to.
'It is also important to know that the data being collected by Microsoft during the current Windows 10 Technical Preview period will not be collected when the full consumer operating system officially launches sometime during 2015.'
How would we know if this is true or not?
Uh, because Microsoft wants to stay in business?
DOSGuy

Post by DOSGuy »

Webunny wrote:In fact, if what you said above were true, they couldn't have released win 98, because they had already used win 95. It has a high likelihood of being bullocks, thus.
It's because of the fact that there was both a Windows 95 and a Windows 98 that programmers searched for an OS string starting with "Windows 9" to cover both versions. They can check for all versions of Windows 4.x, without flagging Windows NT 4.0, with the following code:

Code: Select all

if (os.startsWith("Windows 9") || os.equals("Windows Me")) {
searchcode shows some good examples of Java applications that perform this type of check. The first example uses this check to throw an exception if it finds an OS string starting with "Windows 9".

Code: Select all

public WindowsAttachProvider() {
        String os = System.getProperty("os.name");
        if (os.startsWith("Windows 9") || os.equals("Windows Me")) {
            throw new RuntimeException(
                "This provider is not supported on this version of Windows");
        }
        String arch = System.getProperty("os.arch");
        if (!arch.equals("x86") && !arch.equals("amd64")) {
            throw new RuntimeException(
                "This provider is not supported on this processor architecture");
        }
    }
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article. Get free BeOS, DOS, OS/2, and Windows games at RGB Classic Games.