Have you any persistent bug(s) that irritate you?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Webunny

Re: Have you any persistent bug(s) that irritate you?

Post by Webunny »

Z98 wrote:Whatever gave you the impression that in a numbering scheme such as x.y.z, the y value is treated as a major number?
Well, *obviously* it goes with the ranking it's put in. It should have been more than clear that the x is more important than the y, and the y more important than the z. Hence, why 1.0 is deemed more important (or 'major') than 0.5, and 0.5 is more important than 0.4.12, for instance. This really is pretty straightforward to comprehend, so I'm wondering why you are even denying it. It's quite obvious that is how it is perceived. As said, look at our own roadmap. The only things mentioned there are the 'big' releases (aka, the y, since the x is deemed too far away). Even after 0.4 comes out, you won't suddenly see 0.4.1 popping up there. At most, 0.5 will be filled in further, and maybe 0.6 will be put there. Why?

Well, you know the answer as well as I do. It's for the reasons I already mentioned. There is simply no denying, that as a common perception (and practise) 'major' numbers (whether those are x or y do not matter, except that 1.0 is evidently perceived as the most important) are deemed to be more important than z subnumbers. In this sense, your question/remark is completely irrelevant. It's not a matter whether *I* got the impression *you* treated y as a major number, it's that the vast majority of people will always treat major numbers (or 'next digit' numbers, if you like) as more important. And the importance (and expectation of improvements and features) goes upwards from z to x. This is rather self-evident.

In fact, this very discussion and the mere fact ROS is going for 0.4 already proves the point. If there was no perceived importance in the numbering, then why go for the 0.4 mark? If there is no such discerning difference, there would be no need for it, and it would be much more logical to go for the next iteration in line, namely 0.3.17. The fact that we don't, already proves the point I'm making. The fact that we try to get some important stuff in there for the 0.4 release, too. The fact we made a big IGG campaign with the '0.4' release instead of the '0.3.17' release, as well.

In short, there is no denying there is a psychological part in human behaviour at play here, where the tendency is, to put more importance to numbers that are more 'whole' or have a 'next' digit. It's entrenched in everything we do or make, from economics to even warfare. You'll be hard-pressed to find someone who thinks the difference between a Leopard 1A4 and Leopard 1A5 tank, will be greater than between a leopard 1 and a Leopard 2 tank. And rightfully so. No-one in his right mind is going to make a small incremental amelioration on an Leopard 1 tank and call that a Leopard 2 tank. At least, not without the risk of ridiculing oneself.
Konata

Post by Konata »

I know I use the Y in X.Y.Z as a major number, I'm pretty sure most other people do too. I think X is reserved for extreme changes, like major overhauls, rewrites, changes incomparable with previous versions or the inclusion of a feature that changes the program drastically. AKA version 2.0. Although if you go through Z rapidly you could also just use X as a major number, or maybe even go with a 4 number thing.
Though ultimately it's up to the project maintainer to decide what numbers mean, of course. In fact I think this is why people like to go with names for major versions and stick with a single number system.
DOSGuy

Post by DOSGuy »

PurpleGurl wrote:Likewise 3.1 was not in the NT family.
Actually, the was a Windows NT 3.1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_NT_3.1

Man are we ever off-topic.
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article. Get free BeOS, DOS, OS/2, and Windows games at RGB Classic Games.
Pi_User5

Post by Pi_User5 »

Another annoying bug is when I press the Windows key + R, I get both the start menu and the run box. ;) The start menu should not come up.
I use ReactOS on real hardware. Will you? My Computers: https://www.reactos.org/wiki/PC_ROS_Rigs Go all the way to the bottom.

[ external image ]
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

It would be cool if someone may take care of these bugs adding them to Jira.
This way a Dev will be able to handle it :)
Pi_User5

Post by Pi_User5 »

I'll go do that now. Can I get a JIRA account?
I use ReactOS on real hardware. Will you? My Computers: https://www.reactos.org/wiki/PC_ROS_Rigs Go all the way to the bottom.

[ external image ]
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

Pi_User5 wrote:I'll go do that now. Can I get a JIRA account?
Just log into the bug tracker using the same name and password as on the home page.