games on ROS

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Webunny

games on ROS

Post by Webunny »

I've been thinking if it wouldn't be interesting to create a (wiki)page, maybe including some pictures, of games that work on ROS. I know there is already one for software, but that one is mostly for...well...applications. Maybe a compendium, per major release, of what games work would also be interesting, because it's far more specific than 'programs', and has another target audience too. Some people might actually be interested in how games, specifically, perform on ROS (it's one of the last big advantages of Windows in regard to Linux too, after all, and that's most (big) games are meant for Windows on a desktop).

It therefore might be interesting to have a dedicated section/page for it, and to spice things up, maybe with 1-2 pictures per game, so as to entice interested parties.

What do you think? If there's enough interest, I could make such a wikipage.

Even old/retro games could show off. That would be cool too.
Black_Fox

Re: games on ROS

Post by Black_Fox »

That would be nice and useful (well, in that neat time-wasting way of gaming). Kind of sifting through the EPIC WIN thread and putting all the best screens on wiki.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

I like the idea, too.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

EmuandCo wrote:I like the idea, too.
I'll have little time this week and next week, but I'll try to come up with a good wikipage for it. Suggestions are welcomed, though.

For instance; should I 'list' the games in a particular order? Just 'first-come-first-served', in accordance with and when posters place it there?

Or maybe in alphabetic order?

Or the age of the game?

As for pictures: that is always popular, but I think one should also limited and structure it. Maybe two (or three) pictures per game? Can one (en)force a maximum width/size of pictures on the wiki?

I'm not sure the same concept as was used with the PC ROS rig can be used here, I think it has to be another format. Maybe. And what would be the minimal input?:

Name of the game / genre (?) / when it came out(?) / build used / how well it works / ...?
middings

Post by middings »

Webunny wrote:I'll have little time this week and next week, but I'll try to come up with a good wikipage for it. Suggestions are welcomed...
How about one wiki page per game with a separate master page of game names that each link to the game's page.
Can one (en)force a maximum width/size of pictures on the wiki?
I suppose one could edit the wiki page. Please post the guidelines you wish to enforce before going live with your wiki pages.
...what would be the minimal input?

Name of the game / genre (?) / when it came out(?) / build used / how well it works / ...?
All of those categories seem good and useful to me. I trust that the ReactOS community will try to follow the example you set with these wiki pages, Webunny. Wiki pages can be edited so something that's good enough can grow and evolve. As the saying goes, well begun is half done.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

Do not create a new page per game.
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

middings wrote:
Webunny wrote:I'll have little time this week and next week, but I'll try to come up with a good wikipage for it. Suggestions are welcomed...
How about one wiki page per game with a separate master page of game names that each link to the game's page.
Can one (en)force a maximum width/size of pictures on the wiki?
I suppose one could edit the wiki page. Please post the guidelines you wish to enforce before going live with your wiki pages.
...what would be the minimal input?

All of those categories seem good and useful to me. I trust that the ReactOS community will try to follow the example you set with these wiki pages, Webunny. Wiki pages can be edited so something that's good enough can grow and evolve. As the saying goes, well begun is half done.
Hmm. I think I'm with z98 on this one. Looking at it rationally, creating a wikipage per game would possible lead to a gigantic and potential messy tangle. that said, putting it under eachother could ultimately lead to a very long and unwieldy page.

But when it comes to that, I guess one could divide it per genre or age or alphabetically or something.

Anyways, thanks for the suggestion(s). With the PC ROS RIG page I had quite some helpful suggestions and examples that really were of much practical use, I must say, and no doubt the same will be true now.
Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

The PC ROS Rigs page shows that the table can be sorted by any column - nice default sorting key would either be the date of addition (newest on top) or alphabetical.
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

Made some preliminary wikipage for testing Games on ROS here:

https://reactos.org/wiki/Games_ROS_Testing

Still a testing ground as of yet, so if people have suggestions to improve it, feel free to say so.

Also in regard to quantity and size of the pictures (I took 3 of 300px and 350px for now as showcases, but if there are other suggestions/proposals, I'm willing to listen).
Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

Cool! I thought about a "version" field, but that could be put into comments. Is there a problem for anyone with a display resolution too narrow? My resolutions are mostly 1920x... and 1600x..., so I'm fine with both the widths.
Nice screenshots BTW :ugeek:

EDIT: I have one comment after all. Can the game metadata and screenshots be coupled more tightly together? They look pretty much separate now.
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

Black_Fox wrote:Cool! I thought about a "version" field, but that could be put into comments. Is there a problem for anyone with a display resolution too narrow? My resolutions are mostly 1920x... and 1600x..., so I'm fine with both the widths.
Nice screenshots BTW :ugeek:

EDIT: I have one comment after all. Can the game metadata and screenshots be coupled more tightly together? They look pretty much separate now.
I tried that at first, but then it kinda botched up, unless I made as much pictures/columns as for the meta-data. But maybe I used the frames and code wrongly. I'm almost on vacation now, so I'll not be able to try much out, but feel free to give it a try yourself (it's a wiki after all, it can't hurt if it goes wrong, we can always revert :-)).

As for the resolution(s), I have a smaller screenresolution, and the 350px already needed scrolling to see them all completely. that said, I found 300px a bit small at the start for seeing details, but then again, one can always click on it and it shows it in real size, so there is no problem in that regard so I probably will take that as standard: 3 of 300px.

As said, I'll be away for a week or so (I might very sporadically drop in, maybe), but feel free to try it out to get it more 'together'.
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

Been a while since I made this thread, but since I recently tried out Ur-Quan Masters (UQM) on a recent ROS build, I decided the (relative) success merited a new post and a link/example in the wikipage I created for game-testing (newcomers may have missed that).

Here's the 'epic win' pic:

[ external image ]

More can be seen here: https://www.reactos.org/wiki/Games_ROS_Testing

It worked just fine, albeit without sound. Even though I installed the driver, and 'normal' sound is working (ROS startup-tune and all), the game itself always borked and 'couldn't find the audio' for some reason. And then it shut/closed itself. That last part is probably game-specific, though, and when I use the --sound=none option in the command-line when I boot it up, it works perfectly (apart from the sound, obviously).
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

As for a wiki page, just put an index at the top and index tags. Or double index it to where there is the link to the starting letter in the text list and then the jump to the graphics and description, and a jump link back to the top. But it can get messy any way you do it.
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

PurpleGurl wrote:As for a wiki page, just put an index at the top and index tags. Or double index it to where there is the link to the starting letter in the text list and then the jump to the graphics and description, and a jump link back to the top. But it can get messy any way you do it.
I'm not quite following you. There already IS an index on top. It's the 'contents' in the upper-right corner. It does exactly as you say, apart from having a link/button to go right up to the index again. Which is a good idea. I'll look into that.
cruonit

Post by cruonit »

There are many games that work on reactos and most of them have a free demo version that can be downloaded from the internet or abadonware websites.

My idea is to add those games to the reactos application/download manager so it can be a used as abadon-game OS with an easy user interface :)

abandonware games can be free and legaly directly downloaded from:
[Links removed]

just look at this list of abadon games that are free (and can be directly downloaded):
[Links removed]